Re: Steel ASharpies/Lions Paw update/Weston Martyr

  • Patric Albutat
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Waldo F. Odonahue" <waldofo@...> wrote:

      In terms of finishing the interior Bolger often recommends Ikea/Home
      Depot units for seating/shelving/counters/sitting/sleeping.

      Are you being serious about this one?
      I thought about it too and how extremely convinient, cheap AND good
      loking that would be but felt it might be a bad idea because IKEA
      certainly wasn't designed for a marine (= damp if not down right wet)
      environment. They're mainly made of chipboard which isn't waterproof
      at all (come and see my kitchen!).
      Perhaps glassing it all over would be possible?

      just curious,
      Patric
    • Christopher Wetherill
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
        Glassed chip board would solve any ballast problems you might have!
        Perhaps he was referring to their table tops of glued strips?

        V/R
        Chris

        Patric Albutat wrote:
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Waldo F. Odonahue" <waldofo@...> wrote:
        > snip.. They're mainly made of chipboard which isn't waterproof
        > at all (come and see my kitchen!). Perhaps glassing it all over would be possible?
        >
        > just curious,
        > Patric

      • Waldo F. Odonahue
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
          >>In terms of finishing the interior Bolger often recommends Ikea/Home
          >>Depot units for seating/shelving/ counters/ sitting/sleeping .

          >Are you being serious about this one?
          >I thought about it too and how extremely convinient, cheap AND good
          >loking that would be but felt it might be a bad idea because IKEA
          >certainly wasn't designed for a marine (= damp if not down right wet)
          >environment. They're mainly made of chipboard which isn't waterproof
          >at all (come and see my kitchen!).

          No I am not kidding. In material that Bolger faxed me for the Windermere (Trawler version) - that exactly what he says. There are different levels of quality and different materials used in these units - and differing costs to buy.

          Consumer Reports magazine (within the last couple of years or so) evaluated all the systems available in North America. Ikea came second at about one tenth the cost of the company that came first in quality!

          One can also get these units custom fabricated to your design (in whatever wood you wish) at the same costs of units found in lumber yards. You have to find the hobbiest cabinet maker in your neighborhood to do the work - not a commerical shop. The hobbiest likely has $20,000 in equipment sitting in the garage - be happy to make stuff for you with your money - rather than making yet another piece that gets stored .... until someday.
          The above is what I advise people who take my housebuilding workshops.

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;
          }
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          padding-top:10px;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar{
          clear:both;
          margin:25px 0;
          white-space:nowrap;
          color:#666;
          text-align:right;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;
          white-space:nowrap;
          }
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          padding:15px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-ft{
          font-family:verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          border-top:1px solid #666;
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;
          }

          #ygrp-vital{
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          font-size:77%;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#333;
          text-transform:uppercase;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;
          margin:2px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          list-style-type:none;
          clear:both;
          border:1px solid #e0ecee;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#ff7900;
          float:right;
          width:2em;
          text-align:right;
          padding-right:.5em;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;
          }
          #ygrp-vital a {
          text-decoration:none;
          }

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          padding:6px 13px;
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          list-style-type:square;
          padding:6px 0;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;
          font-size:130%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          background-color:#eee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:0 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          font-family:Arial;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#628c2a;
          font-size:100%;
          line-height:122%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;
          }
          o {font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal {
          margin:0 0 0 0;
          }
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;
          }
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq {margin:4;}
          -->

        • ANDREW AIREY
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
            I wrote to PCB some time ago about Weston Martyr and
            never received a reply either,which was a pity because
            it fitted my requirements for universality.The thing
            to remember about WM was that the constraining
            dimension was the 6'10" width of the locks on the
            British narrow canals so that a 8ft width would be
            rather pointless for it's intended purpose.A steel
            AS39 would be quite nice though,the thing to remember
            about canal use being that there are a lot more things
            to bash about in canals and locks than a sailing boat
            might normally be expected to encounter.Some narrow
            boats were sailed,although perhaps not as a matter of
            course.For example,the Chesterfield canal
            'cuckoos'were occasionally sailed on the
            Trent,although in the last couple of decades of
            operation it was probably more common practise for
            them to drift with the incoming tide,or to pick up a
            tow when working upstream towards Newark
            cheers
            Andy Airey

          • Kristine Bennett
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
              I've helped outfit both steel and fiberglass boats...

              With steel you need to plan ahead and KNOW where you
              want things put so all the tabs and mounting plates
              are in the right place. Then make sure there are no
              changes and prime and paint every thing and then spray
              in the foam or glue in the foam or maybe both. Then
              comes the wood.

              The outfitting just takes a bit more time is all and a
              lot more planing!

              Building the hull out of steel is not that hard with
              the right tools. It just takes more time to do all the
              welding. But with the new epoxy paints the boat should
              be around for a long time to come!

              Blessings Krissie

              > On 12/1/06, Waldo F. Odonahue wrote:
              >
              > > Is there a difference between finshing a wood
              > versus steel hull?
              >
              > Perhaps it is only my imagination, but I know how to
              > deal with wood,
              > and not with steel.
              >
              > I know how to drive a nail into wood, but not steel.
              > Also, I know how
              > to shape wood with a chisel, or with my belt sander.
              > I know now to
              > glue wood to wood, but am not sure about wood to
              > steel.

              Want to start your own business?
              Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
              http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
            • Kristine Bennett
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
                I know a number of hobbiest woodworkers here on the
                island and they are more then happy to do the milling
                I need done. The last time it cost me two sets of
                planer blades and two new saw blades. And he still
                thinks he owes me for the all the blades.....

                All the milling we did would have cost me about 2
                grand to have a commercal shop do it. Hey it was also
                a nice way to spend a weekend with a friend!

                The funny thing is every thing we milled fit!

                Blessings all Krissie

                > One can also get these units custom fabricated to
                > your design (in whatever wood you wish) at the same
                > costs of units found in lumber yards. You have to
                > find the hobbiest cabinet maker in your neighborhood
                > to do the work - not a commerical shop. The hobbiest
                > likely has $20,000 in equipment sitting in the
                > garage - be happy to make stuff for you with your
                > money - rather than making yet another piece that
                > gets stored .... until someday.
                > The above is what I advise people who take my
                > housebuilding workshops.

                http://new.mail.yahoo.com
              • ANDREW AIREY
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2006
                  ps Chesterfield canal 'cuckoos' were 72ft long which
                  makes WM look relatively fat.Unfortunately the last
                  original one fell apart under the tender care of the
                  British Waterways museum so the Canal Trust is on with
                  constructing a replica
                  Cheers
                  Andy Airey