Re: [bolger] Steel ASharpies/Lions Paw update/Weston Martyr

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
      On 12/1/06, goadarama wrote:

      > I see no reason a AS39 couldn't be steel.

      A steel hull makes gobs of sense in my mind, quick, cheap,
      strong...for the bare hull. Though, building the bare hull is the
      easy part of the job. I begin to lose interest when I think of the
      interior fit out work. Indeed, the finish 'fit-out' work in a boat
      like that is the biggest part of the task, at least 2/3rds of the
      total work. In my imagination, building the interior of a wooden
      boat seems quicker and easier that the same interior work in a steel
      boat (with steel's unique thermal, corrosion and acoustic problems).
    • Waldo F. Odonahue
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
        > I see no reason a AS39 couldn't be steel

        >A steel hull makes gobs of sense in my mind, quick, cheap,
        >strong...for the bare hull. Though, building the bare hull is the
        >easy part of the job. I begin to lose interest when I think of the
        >interior fit out work. Indeed, the finish 'fit-out' work in a boat

        >like that is the biggest part of the task, at least 2/3rds of the
        >total work.

        Is there a difference between finshing a wood versus steel hull? If one is going to insulate the hull then there is essentially no difference (steel+foam+wood/ply) versus (wood/ply+foam+wood/ply). Depending on whether anyone who owns a AS39 will be cruising in climates that are either very warm and/or cool. In terms of finishing the interior Bolger often recommends Ikea/Home Depot units for seating/shelving/counters/sitting/sleeping.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
          On 12/1/06, Waldo F. Odonahue wrote:

          > Is there a difference between finshing a wood versus steel hull?

          Perhaps it is only my imagination, but I know how to deal with wood,
          and not with steel.

          I know how to drive a nail into wood, but not steel. Also, I know how
          to shape wood with a chisel, or with my belt sander. I know now to
          glue wood to wood, but am not sure about wood to steel.
        • Patric Albutat
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Waldo F. Odonahue" <waldofo@...> wrote:

            In terms of finishing the interior Bolger often recommends Ikea/Home
            Depot units for seating/shelving/counters/sitting/sleeping.

            Are you being serious about this one?
            I thought about it too and how extremely convinient, cheap AND good
            loking that would be but felt it might be a bad idea because IKEA
            certainly wasn't designed for a marine (= damp if not down right wet)
            environment. They're mainly made of chipboard which isn't waterproof
            at all (come and see my kitchen!).
            Perhaps glassing it all over would be possible?

            just curious,
            Patric
          • Christopher Wetherill
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
              Glassed chip board would solve any ballast problems you might have!
              Perhaps he was referring to their table tops of glued strips?

              V/R
              Chris

              Patric Albutat wrote:
              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Waldo F. Odonahue" <waldofo@...> wrote:
              > snip.. They're mainly made of chipboard which isn't waterproof
              > at all (come and see my kitchen!). Perhaps glassing it all over would be possible?
              >
              > just curious,
              > Patric

            • Waldo F. Odonahue
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                >>In terms of finishing the interior Bolger often recommends Ikea/Home
                >>Depot units for seating/shelving/ counters/ sitting/sleeping .

                >Are you being serious about this one?
                >I thought about it too and how extremely convinient, cheap AND good
                >loking that would be but felt it might be a bad idea because IKEA
                >certainly wasn't designed for a marine (= damp if not down right wet)
                >environment. They're mainly made of chipboard which isn't waterproof
                >at all (come and see my kitchen!).

                No I am not kidding. In material that Bolger faxed me for the Windermere (Trawler version) - that exactly what he says. There are different levels of quality and different materials used in these units - and differing costs to buy.

                Consumer Reports magazine (within the last couple of years or so) evaluated all the systems available in North America. Ikea came second at about one tenth the cost of the company that came first in quality!

                One can also get these units custom fabricated to your design (in whatever wood you wish) at the same costs of units found in lumber yards. You have to find the hobbiest cabinet maker in your neighborhood to do the work - not a commerical shop. The hobbiest likely has $20,000 in equipment sitting in the garage - be happy to make stuff for you with your money - rather than making yet another piece that gets stored .... until someday.
                The above is what I advise people who take my housebuilding workshops.

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                #ygrp-text{
                font-family:Georgia;
                }
                #ygrp-text p{
                margin:0 0 1em 0;
                }
                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                font-family:Arial;
                clear:both;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav{
                padding-top:10px;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                padding:0 1px;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar{
                clear:both;
                margin:25px 0;
                white-space:nowrap;
                color:#666;
                text-align:right;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                float:left;
                white-space:nowrap;
                }
                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-grft{
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                padding:15px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-ft{
                font-family:verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                border-top:1px solid #666;
                padding:5px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                padding-bottom:10px;
                }

                #ygrp-vital{
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                font-size:77%;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#333;
                text-transform:uppercase;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul{
                padding:0;
                margin:2px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                list-style-type:none;
                clear:both;
                border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#ff7900;
                float:right;
                width:2em;
                text-align:right;
                padding-right:.5em;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                font-weight:bold;
                }
                #ygrp-vital a {
                text-decoration:none;
                }

                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }

                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                color:#999;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                padding:6px 13px;
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                padding:0 0 0 8px;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                list-style-type:square;
                padding:6px 0;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                text-decoration:none;
                font-size:130%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                background-color:#eee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:0 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                padding:8px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                font-family:Arial;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#628c2a;
                font-size:100%;
                line-height:122%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                text-decoration:none;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                margin:0;
                }
                o {font-size:0;}
                .MsoNormal {
                margin:0 0 0 0;
                }
                #ygrp-text tt{
                font-size:120%;
                }
                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                .replbq {margin:4;}
                -->

              • ANDREW AIREY
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
                  I wrote to PCB some time ago about Weston Martyr and
                  never received a reply either,which was a pity because
                  it fitted my requirements for universality.The thing
                  to remember about WM was that the constraining
                  dimension was the 6'10" width of the locks on the
                  British narrow canals so that a 8ft width would be
                  rather pointless for it's intended purpose.A steel
                  AS39 would be quite nice though,the thing to remember
                  about canal use being that there are a lot more things
                  to bash about in canals and locks than a sailing boat
                  might normally be expected to encounter.Some narrow
                  boats were sailed,although perhaps not as a matter of
                  course.For example,the Chesterfield canal
                  'cuckoos'were occasionally sailed on the
                  Trent,although in the last couple of decades of
                  operation it was probably more common practise for
                  them to drift with the incoming tide,or to pick up a
                  tow when working upstream towards Newark
                  cheers
                  Andy Airey

                • Kristine Bennett
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
                    I've helped outfit both steel and fiberglass boats...

                    With steel you need to plan ahead and KNOW where you
                    want things put so all the tabs and mounting plates
                    are in the right place. Then make sure there are no
                    changes and prime and paint every thing and then spray
                    in the foam or glue in the foam or maybe both. Then
                    comes the wood.

                    The outfitting just takes a bit more time is all and a
                    lot more planing!

                    Building the hull out of steel is not that hard with
                    the right tools. It just takes more time to do all the
                    welding. But with the new epoxy paints the boat should
                    be around for a long time to come!

                    Blessings Krissie

                    > On 12/1/06, Waldo F. Odonahue wrote:
                    >
                    > > Is there a difference between finshing a wood
                    > versus steel hull?
                    >
                    > Perhaps it is only my imagination, but I know how to
                    > deal with wood,
                    > and not with steel.
                    >
                    > I know how to drive a nail into wood, but not steel.
                    > Also, I know how
                    > to shape wood with a chisel, or with my belt sander.
                    > I know now to
                    > glue wood to wood, but am not sure about wood to
                    > steel.

                    Want to start your own business?
                    Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                    http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
                  • Kristine Bennett
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
                      I know a number of hobbiest woodworkers here on the
                      island and they are more then happy to do the milling
                      I need done. The last time it cost me two sets of
                      planer blades and two new saw blades. And he still
                      thinks he owes me for the all the blades.....

                      All the milling we did would have cost me about 2
                      grand to have a commercal shop do it. Hey it was also
                      a nice way to spend a weekend with a friend!

                      The funny thing is every thing we milled fit!

                      Blessings all Krissie

                      > One can also get these units custom fabricated to
                      > your design (in whatever wood you wish) at the same
                      > costs of units found in lumber yards. You have to
                      > find the hobbiest cabinet maker in your neighborhood
                      > to do the work - not a commerical shop. The hobbiest
                      > likely has $20,000 in equipment sitting in the
                      > garage - be happy to make stuff for you with your
                      > money - rather than making yet another piece that
                      > gets stored .... until someday.
                      > The above is what I advise people who take my
                      > housebuilding workshops.

                      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                    • ANDREW AIREY
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 2006
                        ps Chesterfield canal 'cuckoos' were 72ft long which
                        makes WM look relatively fat.Unfortunately the last
                        original one fell apart under the tender care of the
                        British Waterways museum so the Canal Trust is on with
                        constructing a replica
                        Cheers
                        Andy Airey