Champlain slow progress..........

  • hirbourceline
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2006
      A year ago, I was proud to invite those interested to visit my photo site on a new
      Champlain being built in Québec. (See below the original message along with Peter's
      comments on the Verchere Gang very good support....)

      New photos have been added recently with some others explaining why not much has
      been done last winter.......

      Winter is at our door again, but I hope to be more productive this year with some pieces
      being done in my workshop (doors, etc)

      Have a nice visit at
      http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paul6mard/my_photos

      Paul

      LAST YEAR COPY

      Re: Verchere Gang strikes again!

      Thank you Peter for your help and for sharing your photos (and comments..)
      with all of us. Your entousiasm and good sense of humour are a great boost
      for those of us working long hours, not knowing for sure if we will realize our
      goal through all the sanding sessions still ahead.

      And many thanks to those of you whose comments let me realize that we
      share the same dream....one way or the other.

      Contrary to Peter's comment though, I don't think it's my shiness that delays
      sharing my experience with others. But from time to time, I do procrastinate,
      and I enjoy doing that I think, and otherwise, I take my time....Therefore,
      progresses are very slow, so there's no point to raise public interest too
      early.......(I know, I have to deal with that issue with my friends and
      relatives
      who already are eager to go on cruising aboard Champlain......)

      Anyway, I bought the plan from Bolger in 2000,built the shelter, upon
      retirement, in 2003, and started scarfing and assembling all those nice pieces
      of MDO in september 2004. Why not earlier in 2004 is still a mystery for me
      too! So, the bottom having been built and turned over in 2005, not much more
      will be achieved this Autumn before closing for Winter.

      So the sides will be erected sometimes in 2006, hopefully before next July,
      (It's not a promise but....)

      Those of you interested in following more closely my past (and future)
      progress may, regularly, look at the various photos posted at

      http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paul6mard/my_photos

      (You may wish to have a closer look at the driving column built last winter as a
      boost to finish the project. )

      By the way, Yahoo photos albums seems to me a better place than Yahoo
      group files to keep photos avalaible to all since you can look at them all at
      the same time, it's free and there is no limit of space......Otherwise, my
      progress would have been spread out from Bolger 4 to Bolger 19 I guess!

      This Winter, I intend to build the table, just to keep me ready for next Spring.

      I will keep you informed of the launching date, but be patient!

      In the mean time, you may always come and visit me for some sanding
      sessions...or getting more info if interested! Ask Peter, the lasagna was good
      enough for a second piece, even without a Maudite or a Port!

      Paul Simard

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:

      > Bolgerados,
      >
      > That's right! They've gone and flipped another boat
      > bottom,again,only this time it is the bottom of a Bolger CHAMPLAIN!
      >
      > This particular boat is located in the charming argri-culteral
      > community of Marieville Quebec(about 30 minutes from Montreal) and
      > is
      > the creation of proud builder Paul Simard. He is a long time group
      > lurker who,I suspect, is just too shy to post or perhaps he is not
      > sure of his English :-)
      >
      > I first met Paul several years ago when I began building
      > Windermere. At the time he had the plans for CHAMPLAIN,had built a
      > scale model and purchased an excellent builders manual provided by
      > Van
      > Pelt of MUDLARK fame(see Kingston Messabout photos for views of his
      > delightful rendering of a CHAMPLAIN). Paul is also the chap who
      > kindly
      > provided me with a copy of the Stimson Bowshed plans,which I later
      > built.
      >
      > As any solo builder knows,there are key stages with a big boat
      > project that is too much for one pair of arms.This was the case for
      > Paul when he needed his completed CHAMPLAIN bottom righted.Out went
      > the call and the gang came through!
      >
      > A few pictures may be seen here:

      > One big mistake Paul made however was to come to me asking for
      > advice,which is why you'll see lots of MDO in the pictures and that
      > gloriously red Benjamin Moore polyamide epoxy primer/paint on Pauls'
      > bottom assembly :-) Rumour has it too that whenever he pulls his
      > screws he then uses toothpicks to plunge the holes with epoxy right
      > to the bottom of the screw holes! And I thought I was the only
      > nutcase out there!:-D
      >
      > At the end of a smooth flip,Paul and his charming spouse
      > treated us to a feast fit for kings.Before the meal was even
      > finished
      > polite enquires were made regarding the possibility of perhaps a
      > protracted stay over:-) Being a true gentleman,Paul did not actually
      > say "NO WAY!" and we,with our bellies full of warmth,were simply too
      > stuffed to insist!
      >
      > I look forward to following Paul's progress and will keep y'all
      > up-dated.That is,unless Paul over-comes his shyness and begins
      > posting
      > on his own.
      >

      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Peter Lenihan, who is actually amazed to find himself in the middle
      > of
      > this veritable hornets nest of Bolger Boat Building activity with
      > Jean
      > Gauthier(AS-39) to the North of me,Paul Simard(Champlain) to the
      > South
      > of me and me(Windermere) in the middle.Wondering if there are any
      > hopes from the East or West, from along the dark
      > st.Lawrence..........
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hirbourceline" <paulsimard@...> wrote:

        > A year ago, I was proud to invite those interested to visit my photo
        site on a new
        > Champlain being built in Québec. (See below the original message
        along with Peter's
        > comments on the Verchere Gang very good support....)
        >
        > New photos have been added recently with some others explaining why
        not much has
        > been done last winter.......

        Hey Paul,

        Great photos and a really nice looking building site. I think your
        bottom looks as nice as Peters, if not nicer:-)

        Look forward to following your progress. Keep us posted and all the
        best to the Verchere Gang from snowy British Columbia.

        Bon chance!

        Nels
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
          wrote:

          > A year ago, I was proud to invite those interested to visit my
          photo site on a new
          > Champlain being built in Québec. (See below the original message
          along with Peter's
          > comments on the Verchere Gang very good support....)
          >
          > New photos have been added recently with some others explaining
          why not much has
          > been done last winter.......
          >
          > Winter is at our door again, but I hope to be more productive this
          year with some pieces
          > being done in my workshop (doors, etc)
          >
          > Have a nice visit at
          > http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paul6mard/my_photos

          Salut Paul!,

          Enfin ca commence à resembler un bateau! J'espere que tu ne
          pas eu trop d'ennuis pour installer les côté,surtout pour les
          aligner avec la courbe du fond?
          Tu sais que maintenent,tu pourrais recouvrir le toit avec une
          simple polyéthléne en fin de conserver un peu de chaleur fournit par
          un appareil de chauffage electrique et ensuit poursuivre les traveux
          de l'intérieur de la cabin :-) Les ouverture pour les fenêtres aussi
          doit être recouver avec le poly.
          Mais,si le vrai toit n'est pas isoler, tu pourrais l'installer
          maintenent,non?
          En tout cas,l'hiver s'annonce doux,je croix!!

          LÂCHE PAS,comme on dit ou "Bon" chance comme dit Nels...ons vas les
          avoir les maudite anglais :-D

          Sincèrement,

          Pierre Lenihan,a l'asile pour une autre nuit de folie,le long de la
          fleuve St.Laurent..........
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

            > Salut Paul!,

            > LÂCHE PAS,comme on dit ou "Bon" chance comme dit Nels...ons vas les
            > avoir les maudite anglais :-D

            "maudite anglais"?

            Jah na comprendez pass tabernac Peeaire!

            Nels