Re: AMS Sailplan

  • gbship
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > From what I understand the sailplan for Alaska Motorsailer was
      changed
      > from gaff to balanced lug with battens for a client out of Great
      Slave
      > Lake in Northern Canada.
      >
      > This sailplan is shown here:

      > My question is, can one reef this from within the pilothouse? What
      > happens to the forward ends of the battens when they are lowered to
      > prevent them from rattling around?
      >
      > This rig is beginning to look suspiciously like a Chinese junk. I
      > would have surmised Bolger would have gone for the Chinese gaff
      > instead. Makes you wonder if he is rethinking the CG version on some
      > designs.
      >
      > I know Michalak loves the balanced lug and apparently some folks
      find
      > it is improved by using light battens and no sheetlets required in
      > smaller sizes. A bit of twist seems to improve performance some
      folks
      > claim.
      >
      > Nels

      Nels:
      You can rig jiffy reefing lines for the luff of the sail the same as
      shown for the leech. That's how it's done on my unbattened balanced
      lug, which is only 30 square feet smaller than the AMS main. The
      lines can be led to cleats located anywhere on the boom for
      convenience, or to turning blocks at the mast and then to anywhere on
      the boat you want. However, if you use the turning blocks, be aware
      that the reefing lines became the new boom downhaul when the sail is
      reefed; that is the boom may sit lower than it did with the unreefed
      sail.

      I've just held forth with excessive windiness on balanced and dipping
      lugs in an article at Duckworks (come to think of it, I think you
      originally suggested it to Chuck Leinweber); and there are some pics
      of my reefing arangement. It's at
      http://duckworksmagazine.com/06/howto/lugsails/index.htm

      I don't know if the battened luff would lie quietly on the boom with
      only leech reefing lines, but I suspect it wouldn't...

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Gary Blankenship