Long Micro pics updated

  • William King
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 19, 2006
      Hi all,
      I have updated pictures of my Long Micro construction at:
      http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/

      There are six new pictures. All are my best attempts at capturing
      the LM overall, with some general
      pictures of my self-bailing (I hope) cockpit. I'm currently working
      on the framing for the fore-well, making decent progress, and having fun.

      Enjoy!
      Bill, in Ohio
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 19, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, William King <kingw@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I have updated pictures of my Long Micro construction at:
        > http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/
        >
        > There are six new pictures. All are my best attempts at capturing
        > the LM overall, with some general
        > pictures of my self-bailing (I hope) cockpit. I'm currently working
        > on the framing for the fore-well, making decent progress, and having
        fun.

        > Enjoy!
        > Bill, in Ohio

        Looking great Bill! It's a big boat to get into a photo isn't it?

        What is the story on the little pointy bow to starboard in the first
        photo?

        Nels
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 19, 2006
          Nels,
          Thanks. It's coming along slow but steady.

          By "little pointy bow" do you mean my Bolger Gypsy? I built her back
          in 1997, sailed her quite a bit (not much sailing these days). She's
          resting on her trailer and awaiting her turn for fresh paint.

          Bolger boats. They're an addiction.
          Bill, in Ohio

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, William King <kingw@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > > I have updated pictures of my Long Micro construction at:
          > > http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/
          > >
          > > There are six new pictures. All are my best attempts at capturing
          > > the LM overall, with some general
          > > pictures of my self-bailing (I hope) cockpit. I'm currently working
          > > on the framing for the fore-well, making decent progress, and having
          > fun.
          > >
          > > Enjoy!
          > > Bill, in Ohio
          > >
          > Looking great Bill! It's a big boat to get into a photo isn't it?
          >
          > What is the story on the little pointy bow to starboard in the first
          > photo?
          >
          > Nels

        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 19, 2006
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, William King <kingw@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I have updated pictures of my Long Micro construction at:
            > http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/

            Hi,Bill in Ohio,

            She is looking great! Just took a peak at your cockpit and wonder
            whether or not you have considered adding an inclined back rest,as I
            did on the Micro LESTAT? My poor old lower back always appreciated
            it and Bolger found it just grand when he visited it in Newport
            Rhode Island,at the Woodenboat show in 1993. It is a relatively easy
            thing to add too! Ask Nels how he likes it too :-)

            Comtinued success Bill!

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan, looking forward to more wonderful pictures as they
            become available,from along the shores of the mighty
            St.Lawrence............
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 19, 2006
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

              > She is looking great! Just took a peak at your cockpit and wonder
              > whether or not you have considered adding an inclined back rest,as I
              > did on the Micro LESTAT? My poor old lower back always appreciated
              > it and Bolger found it just grand when he visited it in Newport
              > Rhode Island,at the Woodenboat show in 1993. It is a relatively easy
              > thing to add too! Ask Nels how he likes it too :-)

              Hi Peter, Bill,

              I totally agree with Peter and Phil about the inclined backrests in
              LESTAT being a great addition. However when I saw the first photos of
              Bill's cockpit, I observed that the seats are perhaps a bit narrow to
              allow enough space for the backrests? So I never suggested it to him.

              I would guess that in Zephyr the seats are at least 6" wider. Dan
              included another innovation. Zephyr comes with two wedge shaped
              cushions about six inches deep, a foot high and three feet long.

              Thought that was another neat innovation. These could be a suggestion
              for any of the Micro designs.

              I really like the way Bill arranged the drains in each aft corner of
              the cockpit. A person might consider rubber flaps to prevent water
              coming back in if in big waves are coming from astern. They could
              added any time if this becomes a factor.

              Nels
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 19, 2006
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

                > I totally agree with Peter and Phil about the inclined backrests in
                > LESTAT being a great addition. However when I saw the first photos of
                > Bill's cockpit, I observed that the seats are perhaps a bit narrow to
                > allow enough space for the backrests?

                Nels(and Bill in Ohio),

                Perhaps it would not be too much a chore to simply widen the
                benches,inboard,with a plank or two yet keeping enough width in the
                cockpit to stand up comfortably.The "lip" caused by the widening of
                the benches would also come in handy as hand grips if nifty little
                oval holes are cut into them say every 16 inches or so or(better yet!)
                for precisely cut holes for beer/wine/grog bottles kept right at
                hand :-)

                The tapered cushions are a neat work-around but have to be stored
                when not in use,may well slip,slide and can blown over board in the
                wrong conditions and must be kept out of the rain if not covered with
                water-proof material.The built in inclined backrest gets around all of
                the above :-)

                I can't wait to see how Bill does his interior!

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan
              • William King
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 20, 2006
                  Nels and Peter,
                  Thanks for your comments. Let me see...
                  1. Peter, I saw your inclined backrests and they struck me as a good
                  idea. My main consideration, however, is that I'm a lanky fellow (a
                  bit over 6'4"), and my biggest problem most days is finding room to
                  stretch my legs. So I did some practice-sitting on various crates in
                  my pre-made cockpit and came up with the dimensions I did, primarily
                  to give me leg-stretchin' room. And (lest one of the Bolger faithful
                  mention it), I know that the original plans would have provided
                  plenty of leg room for me to dangle my legs. I wanted the
                  self-bailing cockpit. I have considered some inclined backrest
                  cushions. I'll see how the cockpit suits me first.

                  2. I corresponded with Dan Gonneau a couple times about his
                  self-bailing cockpit. I hope I learned from him. He suggested
                  raising the cockpit sole a few inches and I did. My cockpit lockers
                  will collect water, so I drilled small (about 12 mm) holes in their
                  inboard "walls" so water will run into the cockpit sole, and then out
                  into the aft-most well. These cockpit drain holes will work well
                  when the boat is level (draining rain water), but when she's heeled,
                  water from the cockpit sole will flow into the lee locker. I didn't
                  realize this until I had made everything. I'm considering small
                  plugs or a one-way valve (or something), but I'll wait until I hit
                  the water to work that all out.

                  I've also mulled some type of valve arrangement, to keep water from
                  backing up into the cockpit sole. As you may have noticed, however,
                  my aft-well is designed to be dry. The rudder post is sealed by a
                  length of plastic pipe, and there are two home-made bailers at either
                  corner of my aft-well. If it all works to plan, water should not
                  collect in the aft well.

                  3. The interior is ugly. Really. A bolgerista on the web had
                  commented that their boat's interior (finished with epoxy coated
                  wood) looked like a dark cave. I thought I would avoid this by
                  having a white interior. I initially went with white tinted epoxy,
                  thinking that I would spare myself painting the
                  interior. Wrong. The tint wasn't robust enough and only gave me a
                  cloudy milky interior even with two coats. Blech! I also had spots
                  where I did not tint (e.g., where the chine logs were to be fastened,
                  and at the bulkheads. I wanted a strong bond and had read that tint
                  might affect epoxies bonding strength). So I had strips of wood
                  coated in regular epoxy once I assembled the interior. "I'll just
                  paint those spots white." And the paint didn't match the epoxy
                  tint. *great* A couple coats of paint over the whole interior would
                  fix the problem, but I'm busy working on more critical bits.

                  Besides the aesthetics, the interior is built to plan (with a
                  slightly shorter hatch. Shorter by 6 inches I recall but I would
                  have to check. Again, I was following Dan's experience here). The
                  bunks are built to stock height
                  (my head just barely rubs the ceiling when I sit on the bunk flats
                  without a cushion). The bunk supports (the "fins" that the bunk
                  flats lay upon) are thicker than planned (1 inch thick). The bunk
                  covers are two-pieces (makes them easier to move about the interior,
                  and easier to pull one and fish around in the wine cellar. The only
                  real modification is that there's a little storage retained under the
                  cockpit (under the bench seat which runs from port to stbd.).

                  Please keep your comments and suggestions coming. Even if I cannot
                  learn from your experiences, someone else surely will.

                  Bill, in Ohio
                  --- In <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>bolger@yahoogroups.com,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 20, 2006
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, William King <kingw@...> wrote:

                    > Nels and Peter,
                    > Thanks for your comments. Let me see...

                    Hi Bill,

                    Great - you have a customized cockpit - which is perfect for you.
                    Don't worry about the enterior either. At some time when it is all
                    finished you might consider lining it with light cedar or pine strips
                    held with brass screws like Peter did on LESTAT. Gives the enterior a
                    warmth. I would consider insulating the overhead but keeping it and
                    the rest white with maybe a bit of natural wood trim.

                    I would also consider sealing the cockpit seats at some point. They
                    add buoyancy that is lost from the original hold area and it is nice
                    to know there is no water lieing under there.

                    The seat cushions can also be used below decks and maybe emergency
                    floats or fenders. (Install a D-ring and some invisible rope:-)

                    Flaps with snaps? Velcro? Duct tape?

                    Nels