Re: Borrowing / Lending / Sharing / Copying / Copyright

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 39 , Nov 4, 2006

      > Copyright is complex. In general, it prohibits commercial use, but
      > encourages 'fair use/fair dealing' such as for educational purposes,
      > study and is also more toleratant of non-profit uses and uses
      > involving research and study; review and critique; news reportage.

      I also believe "intention" plays a part as well. The work of Bruce and
      some of the other members actually stimulates the interest in Bolger's
      work and adds to broaden the knowledge of his genius.

      Personally I try to share enough info to get the juices flowing and
      not enough to give others free plans.

      Nels
    • Stefan Probst
      Message 39 of 39 , Nov 5, 2006
        --- Randy Hough <randy.hough@...> wrote:

        > The difference is that the library purchased the book.
        > The publisher and author were paid.

        Well, the one who scans his books/magazines paid for his copy, too.

        BTW, I was - as a starting point - talking about books that are not on
        sale anymore, and where they have no intention to print them again.

        If I take a book from a library, scan it for my friend who can't come
        to the library, and send the scan to him?

        > I would be more than happy to pay the non-production cost
        > of a book to be able to download it on-line.
        > Production costs being printing, binding, warehousing, and shipping.

        Agreed.

        > Scanning and posting printed work on the net is the same
        > as sharing music or video files. Think Napster.

        Only, if
        a) the printed work is still on sale
        b) the music is not available in libraries

        Books and articles in old magazines are different.

        Stefan