Bantam - "Drifter"

  • otter55806
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2006
      I Finally got off my duff and have posted some Photos of my Bantam in
      the Bolger 6 Photo section. There's a pic or two of the micro Trawler
      I built also. I really like the Bantam! It can really sneak into
      some out of the way places, and is so stable that you can be napping
      and don't know you are on a boat unless you open your eyes and look at
      the trees moving. With the top down it tows like a dream, which is
      one of the main reasons I built this design as I will be towing long
      distances, such as heading to Florida after New Years. I'm thinking
      of writing about the boat and submitting it to Bob Hicks, so maybe
      will leave most of the info for that. I did change a lot of "little"
      things from the plans which I will go into there. If anyone is
      building or thinking of building and has any questions, feel free to
      ask.
      Bob Slimak
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "otter55806" <otter55806@...> wrote:

        > I Finally got off my duff and have posted some Photos of my Bantam
        in
        > the Bolger 6 Photo section. There's a pic or two of the micro
        Trawler
        > I built also.

        Bob,
        Very,very nice jobs on both boats! The BANTAM looks fantastic in
        your settings and must be a joy to cruise around in!
        Congratulations and thanks for posting such beautiful pictures!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan
      • camalexander2002
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "otter55806" <otter55806@...> wrote:

          > I Finally got off my duff and have posted some Photos of my Bantam in
          > the Bolger 6 Photo section.

          I really appreciate your pictures, Bob. I'm a slow builder, and the
          inspiration provided by your boat will fuel this winter's building.
          Your area is very similar to mine, and your pictures bear a striking
          resemblance to the dreams that made me build the boat in the first
          place. The Drifter looks great; many well thought out details. I see
          you have the vertical hull extensions - now that you have the boat in
          service - how necessary do you feel they are? I like your window
          treatment - can you expand on the details? How about a picture or two
          of your control/captain seat setup? How much work would you save if
          the roof did not fold - I need to make that decision very soon. I
          look forward to your article on the Drifter.

          Cam
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
            > Bantam

            Really cool!

            And, now, yet another Bolger boat I must build.
          • echo172@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
              Thanks for the photos.
              The question most important for my use is wave handling. Have you experienced any, what size and how did the boat behave? I'm salt water oriented.

              If anyone is
              > building or thinking of building and has any questions, feel free to
              > ask.
              > Bob Slimak

            • Kenneth Grome
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
                Hi Bob,

                Your Bantam named "Drifter" looks great!

                I like the idea that the top folds down (or is removable?) for towing. How
                shallow can the water be before you start touching the bottom? What is the
                length and width of this boat? Do you know how much yours weighs?

                Now that I've seen a few pictures of this boat, I wonder if other have posted
                pictures online as well ... or if there are any write-up about this boat
                online? I'm interested and hope to learn more ... :)

                Sincerely,
                Kenneth Grome
                Bagacay Boatworks
                www.bagacayboatworks.com

                On Friday 03 November 2006 05:09, otter55806 wrote:
                > I Finally got off my duff and have posted some Photos of my Bantam in
                > the Bolger 6 Photo section. There's a pic or two of the micro Trawler
                > I built also. I really like the Bantam! It can really sneak into
                > some out of the way places, and is so stable that you can be napping
                > and don't know you are on a boat unless you open your eyes and look at
                > the trees moving. With the top down it tows like a dream, which is
                > one of the main reasons I built this design as I will be towing long
                > distances, such as heading to Florida after New Years. I'm thinking
                > of writing about the boat and submitting it to Bob Hicks, so maybe
                > will leave most of the info for that. I did change a lot of "little"
                > things from the plans which I will go into there. If anyone is
                > building or thinking of building and has any questions, feel free to
                > ask.
                > Bob Slimak

              • Kenneth Grome
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 5, 2006
                  Hi Bruce,

                  I just found an online reference to the boats in some of Bolger's books that I
                  was not aware of before today. Since I haven't seen anyone else mention this
                  one, perhaps you have not seen it either:

                  http://www.geocities.com/howardstephenson/speedcalc.html

                  Sincerely,
                  Kenneth Grome
                  Bagacay Boatworks
                  www.bagacayboatworks.com
                • Carl
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 5, 2006
                    Great site thanks. Did you see his boat plans, great little dink and a nice houseboat not to mention some Bolger mods.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2006
                      I'm the author of that website. The "designs" you see there are
                      really just ideas. I built a scaled-up version of Corky. It has its
                      faults, the main one being that it planes with a very bow-up attitude
                      because of the shape of the bottom. It would very likely be improved
                      by adding a couple of planing wedges, which I might do one day, but
                      such an extremely wide hull is never going to plane very well. It's a
                      handy fishing platform, with plenty of load-carrying capacity.

                      The data on Bolger books has all been incorporated into the database
                      belonging to this Group.

                      Howard

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <shnarg@...> wrote:

                      > Great site thanks. Did you see his boat plans, great little dink
                      and a nice houseboat not to mention some Bolger mods.

                      11/3/2006

                    • oarmandt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 5, 2006
                        I consolidated Mr. Stephenson's indexes for the separate books into
                        one file then put it in the file section of Bolger 5. The title is
                        "Bolger all book index". I added pages sorted by design name, length
                        overall, and description. I think this will be useful when trying to
                        look up any particular design (which book was that in?) or for sail
                        cruisers 30 to 35' or whatever. Just use the data/sort function in
                        excel to narrow it down.

                        Doug.

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson" <stephensonhw@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I'm the author of that website. The "designs" you see there are
                        > really just ideas. I built a scaled-up version of Corky. It has its
                        > faults, the main one being that it planes with a very bow-up attitude
                        > because of the shape of the bottom. It would very likely be improved
                        > by adding a couple of planing wedges, which I might do one day, but
                        > such an extremely wide hull is never going to plane very well. It's a
                        > handy fishing platform, with plenty of load-carrying capacity.
                        >
                        > The data on Bolger books has all been incorporated into the database
                        > belonging to this Group.
                        >
                        > Howard
                        >
                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <shnarg@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Great site thanks. Did you see his boat plans, great little dink
                        > and a nice houseboat not to mention some Bolger mods.

                      • Randy Hough
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 5, 2006
                          Bravo!

                          Now all we need is for someone to link the designs to the files ... I can
                          never remember where I saw something ... like the Sneakeasy with the
                          hardtop/cabin ... :(

                          I am not volunteering! :)

                          Randy

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                            wrote:
                            >What is the
                            > length and width of this boat? Do you know how much yours weighs?
                            >
                            > Now that I've seen a few pictures of this boat, I wonder if other
                            have posted
                            > pictures online as well ... or if there are any write-up about
                            this boat
                            > online? I'm interested and hope to learn more ... :)

                            Check this out Ken,
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodenPowerboats/files/

                            Look in the "Bantam" file :-)

                            Sincerely,

                            Peter Lenihan
                          • Kenneth Grome
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
                              > > Now that I've seen a few pictures of this boat, I wonder
                              > > if other have posted pictures online as well ... or if there
                              > > are any write-up about this boat online? I'm interested
                              > > and hope to learn more ... :)
                              >
                              > Check this out Ken,
                              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodenPowerboats/files/
                              > Look in the "Bantam" file :-)
                              > Sincerely,
                              > Peter Lenihan

                              Hi Peter,

                              Thanks for the reference to the Bantam design drawings, they clarify a lot for
                              me.

                              At the moment I cannot think of any other boat that offers full standing
                              headroom in an enclosed house that would be easier to tow *and* as easy to
                              store in a small space than Bolger's Bantam.

                              After seeing Bob Smilak's great photos and reading his description of the
                              reasons why he loves this boat, I think it may just be a boat that has the
                              right combination of features for many people -- even though they don't know
                              it yet:

                              > I really like the Bantam! It can really sneak into some out
                              > of the way places, and is so stable that you can be napping
                              > and don't know you are on a boat unless you open your
                              > eyes and look at the trees moving. With the top down it tows
                              > like a dream, which is one of the main reasons I built this design ...

                              Bantam reminds me of a pop-top camping trailer, and in fact I have no doubt
                              that it could be used as such with no problem whatsoever -- yet it also
                              offers the benefit of being able to explore all the water-bound places that a
                              typical camping trailer cannot.

                              It's just a really great boat, and although I would not try to cross an ocean
                              in it, I would think that because of its trimaran hull style it may very well
                              be as safe and capable a coastal cruiser as most of the other boats used in
                              this role.

                              Sincerely,
                              Kenneth Grome
                              Bagacay Boatworks
                              www.bagacayboatworks.com
                            • Stefan Probst
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 7, 2006
                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Randy Hough <randy.hough@...> wrote:
                                > Now all we need is for someone to link the designs to the files ...

                                Well, actually, when you open the box of wishes ...

                                there is one more thing: have length, beam, draft in separate columns,
                                and in a form that can be "ordered".
                                Say, I am looking for a sail boat between X and Y length: Sort the
                                sheet for the column with propulsion as first criteria, and length as
                                the second. Then scroll down and find all candidates listed one next
                                to the other.

                                Problem is, that this "feet-inch" system does not sort well. Better
                                fractional feet, or metric....

                                Cheers,
                                Stefan