RE: Progress on the Car Topper (at last)

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2006
      Hi All:
      Got the inside work done, new bookcase installed and painted, moving
      books around (The spouse is alphabetizing the authors even. Wonder how
      long that will last.)
      So was able to get to the home center and put two 16 foot 2 X 4 s on
      the roof rack of the Toyota. Drove home slowly. Supposed to be
      their "prime grade" wood, would hate to see the not so prime. (Under
      40 MPH all the way; getting dirty looks from other drivers.)
      Cut two pieces 1-3/4 by 7/8 to glue up the mast, had enough left to cut
      four 1/2 X 1 strips for gunwhales and lucked out as there is a nice
      chunk of 1 X 1 for the sprit boom. Only problem is the saw dosn't cut
      square ever since the kids borrowed it, and adjustments are not working
      right. Oh well, with the tapers set the right way I can still make a
      sqare mast. Decided that 81 year old guys should stay away from
      building boats.
      John
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 24, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John" <catboat15@...> wrote:

        > Hi All:
        Decided that 81 year old guys should stay away from
        > building boats.
        > John

        Hey John,

        Better get rid of that idea! You are doing what a lot of us younger
        folks are still procrastinating about.

        I double if the sail would notice if the sprit sprit boom is not quite
        square. Which sail rig are you planning to use?

        Boats are far more fun than bookcases eh? Well I guess it depends what
        is on the shelves mebbe;-)

        All the best,

        Nels
      • Patrick Crockett
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2006
          John wrote:
          > Hi All:
          > ... Only problem is the saw dosn't cut
          > square ever since the kids borrowed it, and adjustments are not working
          > right. ... Decided that 81 year old guys should stay away from
          > building boats.

          Naw, just keep the kids away from the saw.

          Patrick