Re: How would Mr Bolger update Cynthia J?

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 18, 2006
      On the subject of crew position, I agree with the notion that having
      the crew a bit too far forward is worse that having it aft. As
      designed, crew weight causes the boat to pivot about a point near the
      forward end of the lwl, and the new immersed shape is a heavier
      displacement version of the original. (Note PCB kept the stern up out
      of the water to make this possible.) I found the boat went upwind very
      well with skipper plus two lightish crew, or one heavy one. The low
      seating position is a plus.

      I only sailed the boat solo once or twice, and was surprised by how
      quickly she heeled with a light load.

      If you look at the plans carefully, you will note the extreme
      simplicity that PCB had in mind. He did not draw any blocks or
      mechanical advantages, leeboard pendants, lifts or stops for the
      swinging rudder blade, etc. Partly, I think this was to save drawing
      board time. Partly, just for simplicity. My boat took 300-400 hours by
      a average-skilled professional in a well equipped boatshop.