Re: where's Peter/cheep and fast

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 4, 2006
      MDO in many areas is cheaper then ACX and in some ways better then
      marine. Working building houses I try to talk contractors into MDO
      for smoth soffets and fake colums becouse it stays togather and
      paints well. I have a scrap from Olympic Ply agenst to back fence
      that has been through many many NW winters that is bair and still
      solid.

      Jon

      > There is a cross over point in time expended where you have to
      think
      > about quality materials. I approached the EP knowing I would be
      putting
      > min time in it and went with max cheep. In 2003 we built three
      Gulls.
      > They all came off the same mold but I am incapable of doing
      something
      > the same way three times running. Two were built with marine
      plywood
      > (Okoume from Edensaw) and one with AC from the local store. The AC
      > looked flawless and had no voids which is why I went with it. All
      the
      > boats had Dynel on the bottoms because of the rocky beaches here,
      one
      > had fiberglassed sides flowcoated before assembly. I used System
      Three
      > paint on the two marine plywood boats, exterior latex on the AC. We
      had
      > between 70-120 hrs in each boat. The intent of these boats was to
      use
      > them for 10-15 years for day excursions, camping. and exploring
      over the
      > border in Canada. I have had delamination in the AC since the first
      > year. The boat is still usable but with the time I have in it AC is
      > very false economy. Many try to make AC acceptable by totally
      > encapsulating in epoxy. This is very time consuming and its still a
      sows
      > ear with fine stitching.
      >
      > I swore then I would not use AC again, but I have since changed my
      tune
      > to consider it for "disposable" boats. If I can do it in less than
      40
      > hrs and $200 then it might be acceptable.
      >
      > HJ
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 4, 2006
        MDO can be good stuff but the thinnest I have found is 3/8". This is a little heavy for most small boats. However, if your plan calls for thicker planking or if your boat can stand the extra weight (a 3/8" hull will be 50% heavier than a 1/4" hull), MDO is an excellent choice.

        John T
        MDO in many areas is cheaper then ACX and in some ways better then
        marine. Working building houses I try to talk contractors into MDO
        for smoth soffets and fake colums becouse it stays togather and
        paints well. I have a scrap from Olympic Ply agenst to back fence
        that has been through many many NW winters that is bair and still
        solid.

        Jon

        > There is a cross over point in time expended where you have to
        think
        > about quality materials. I approached the EP knowing I would be
        putting
        > min time in it and went with max cheep. In 2003 we built three
        Gulls.
        > They all came off the same mold but I am incapable of doing
        something
        > the same way three times running. Two were built with marine
        plywood
        > (Okoume from Edensaw) and one with AC from the local store. The AC
        > looked flawless and had no voids which is why I went with it. All
        the
        > boats had Dynel on the bottoms because of the rocky beaches here,
        one
        > had fiberglassed sides flowcoated before assembly. I used System
        Three
        > paint on the two marine plywood boats, exterior latex on the AC. We
        had
        > between 70-120 hrs in each boat. The intent of these boats was to
        use
        > them for 10-15 years for day excursions, camping. and exploring
        over the
        > border in Canada. I have had delamination in the AC since the first
        > year. The boat is still usable but with the time I have in it AC is
        > very false economy. Many try to make AC acceptable by totally
        > encapsulating in epoxy. This is very time consuming and its still a
        sows
        > ear with fine stitching.
        >
        > I swore then I would not use AC again, but I have since changed my
        tune
        > to consider it for "disposable" boats. If I can do it in less than
        40
        > hrs and $200 then it might be acceptable.
        >
        > HJ

      • Kristine Bennett
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 4, 2006
          OK it's time for me to ask who all on the list are
          here in the northwest of the USA? I know I'm 6 miles
          from Vancouver Island Canada. I'm still in the USA.

          Blessings Krissie

          --- "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote

          > MDO in many areas is cheaper then ACX and in some
          > ways better then
          > marine. Working building houses I try to talk
          > contractors into MDO
          > for smoth soffets and fake colums becouse it stays
          > togather and
          > paints well. I have a scrap from Olympic Ply agenst
          > to back fence
          > that has been through many many NW winters that is
          > bair and still
          > solid.
          >
          > Jon

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 4, 2006
            I am in the other Vancouver as in Vancouver Wa.

            Jon

            > OK it's time for me to ask who all on the list are
            > here in the northwest of the USA? I know I'm 6 miles
            > from Vancouver Island Canada. I'm still in the USA.
            >
            > Blessings Krissie
            >
            > --- "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote
            >

            > > MDO in many areas is cheaper then ACX and in some
            > > ways better then
            > > marine. Working building houses I try to talk
            > > contractors into MDO
            > > for smoth soffets and fake colums becouse it stays
            > > togather and
            > > paints well. I have a scrap from Olympic Ply agenst
            > > to back fence
            > > that has been through many many NW winters that is
            > > bair and still
            > > solid.
            > >
            > > Jon

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 4, 2006
              Juneau AK, some don't think AK is in the USA.

              HJ

              Kristine Bennett wrote:
              > OK it's time for me to ask who all on the list are
              > here in the northwest of the USA? I know I'm 6 miles
              > from Vancouver Island Canada. I'm still in the USA.
              >
              > Blessings Krissie
              >
              > --- "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote
              >

              >> MDO in many areas is cheaper then ACX and in some
              >> ways better then
              >> marine. Working building houses I try to talk
              >> contractors into MDO
              >> for smoth soffets and fake colums becouse it stays
              >> togather and
              >> paints well. I have a scrap from Olympic Ply agenst
              >> to back fence
              >> that has been through many many NW winters that is
              >> bair and still
              >> solid.
              >>
              >> Jon

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 4, 2006
                Not available here, I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I could get it and
                I needed the greater thicknesses it comes in.

                HJ

                Jon & Wanda(Tink) wrote:
                > MDO in many areas is cheaper then ACX and in some ways better then
                > marine. Working building houses I try to talk contractors into MDO
                > for smoth soffets and fake colums becouse it stays togather and
                > paints well. I have a scrap from Olympic Ply agenst to back fence
                > that has been through many many NW winters that is bair and still
                > solid.
                >
                > Jon

              • David
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 5, 2006
                  K,

                  I'm a neighbor of Jon's (and fellow member of the Western Oregon
                  Messabout Society). Why do you ask?

                  Cheers,
                  David Graybeal
                  Portland, OR

                  "Nature does nothing uselessly" -- Aristotle

                  *************

                  > OK it's time for me to ask who all on the list are
                  > here in the northwest of the USA? I know I'm 6 miles
                  > from Vancouver Island Canada. I'm still in the USA.
                  >
                  > Blessings Krissie
                  >
                  > --- "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote
                  >

                  > > MDO in many areas is cheaper then ACX and in some
                  > > ways better then
                  > > marine. Working building houses I try to talk
                  > > contractors into MDO
                  > > for smoth soffets and fake colums becouse it stays
                  > > togather and
                  > > paints well. I have a scrap from Olympic Ply agenst
                  > > to back fence
                  > > that has been through many many NW winters that is
                  > > bair and still
                  > > solid.
                  > >
                  > > Jon

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Gary Lepak
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 5, 2006
                    Kristine,

                    I am 15 miles south of Victoria, B.C., in Port Angeles, WA. I lived aboard
                    my boat anchored in Friday Harbor for two years, '80-'82. What Island are
                    you on?

                    Gary

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 5, 2006
                      I live in Eugene, Oregon and boat various places around here and all the
                      way up to your bailiwick, Kristine. Trailer boats rule! <g>

                      Our local messabout group has members in your area too:

                      One of whom instigates a get-together in the Islands:

                      http://members.shaw.ca/jamie.orr/Sucia%202005/Sucia%202006.htm

                      I don't have any Bolger boats right now, but built an Elegant Punt once!

                      --
                      John <jkohnen@...>
                      No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 5, 2006
                        Hi Kristine,

                        If you're six miles from Vancouver Island, I guess I'm about six
                        miles away from you. I live in Victoria and sail a Chebacco -- we
                        get over to the San Juans about twice a year in her. Whereabouts in
                        the islands are you?

                        I saw John K's reply with the Sucia rendezvous URL, but that
                        bypasses another small boat rendezvous you might be interested in.
                        Try going to http://www.members.shaw.ca/jamie.orr/ and see both
                        rendezvous.

                        (Both gatherings are written up in the Nov/Dec issue of Small Craft
                        Advisor, which just came out. If you don't already subscribe, you
                        should try it, and not just for the article mentioned.)

                        Hope to see you on the water sometime!

                        Cheers,

                        Jamie Orr

                        > OK it's time for me to ask who all on the list are
                        > here in the northwest of the USA? I know I'm 6 miles
                        > from Vancouver Island Canada. I'm still in the USA.
                        >
                        > Blessings Krissie
                        >
                        > --- "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote
                        >

                        > > MDO in many areas is cheaper then ACX and in some
                        > > ways better then
                        > > marine. Working building houses I try to talk
                        > > contractors into MDO
                        > > for smoth soffets and fake colums becouse it stays
                        > > togather and
                        > > paints well. I have a scrap from Olympic Ply agenst
                        > > to back fence
                        > > that has been through many many NW winters that is
                        > > bair and still
                        > > solid.
                        > >
                        > > Jon

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Kristine Bennett
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 5, 2006
                          For myself I like to know where people are from. And
                          to see what boats are use where. Or planed to be use
                          there.

                          A lot of time where you live will help define what
                          kind of boat you have or build Like in the middle of
                          the US bass boats are all over. When you get to the
                          coasts it's very mixed. Down in the gulf coast you
                          find a lot of flat boats for running in the shallows.

                          Seeing how I'm from SE Alaska I look at boats that can
                          be used in rough water we have here. I also look to
                          see if it can run the inside passage.

                          Blessings all
                          Krissie

                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 5, 2006
                            I'm on San Juan and when I was living on the south end
                            of the island I could see the lights of Port Angeles.

                            Blessings Krissie

                            --- Gary Lepak <gnjlepak@...> wrote:

                            > Kristine,
                            >
                            > I am 15 miles south of Victoria, B.C., in Port
                            > Angeles, WA. I lived aboard
                            > my boat anchored in Friday Harbor for two years,
                            > '80-'82. What Island are
                            > you on?
                            >
                            > Gary

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Kristine Bennett
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 5, 2006
                              I'm not far from Roche Harbor and the aircraft that
                              leave the airport there east bound fly over where I
                              live.

                              I have not made up my mind about what to build but I
                              have a couple of small boat projects that may get done
                              first. Making a hard bottom for the Sea Eagle
                              inflatable does sound like a good idea then maybe give
                              it back to my Dad as a gift.

                              I have no idea where to find Small Craft Advisor is it
                              here in the northwest?

                              Blessings Krissie

                              --- Jamie Orr <jas_orr@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Kristine,
                              >
                              > If you're six miles from Vancouver Island, I guess
                              > I'm about six
                              > miles away from you. I live in Victoria and sail a
                              > Chebacco -- we
                              > get over to the San Juans about twice a year in her.
                              > Whereabouts in
                              > the islands are you?
                              >
                              > I saw John K's reply with the Sucia rendezvous URL,
                              > but that
                              > bypasses another small boat rendezvous you might be
                              > interested in.
                              > Try going to http://www.members.shaw.ca/jamie.orr/
                              > and see both
                              > rendezvous.
                              >
                              > (Both gatherings are written up in the Nov/Dec issue
                              > of Small Craft
                              > Advisor, which just came out. If you don't already
                              > subscribe, you
                              > should try it, and not just for the article
                              > mentioned.)
                              >
                              > Hope to see you on the water sometime!
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              >
                              > Jamie Orr

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Kristine Bennett
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 5, 2006
                                I would like to say I'm sorry for the last few posts
                                that I thought I had sent to the sender not to the
                                list!

                                I'm sorry about that!

                                Kristine

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 5, 2006
                                  Hell David I live across the Columbia from you and can't get you to
                                  answer a E-mail. LOL I also like to know what part of the world
                                  people are in for simalor reasons. That is why we have our profile
                                  filled out even if it has been awhile from last update. Would be nice
                                  if everyone filled out there profile but David can use a cartoon pic.

                                  Jon

                                  > For myself I like to know where people are from. And
                                  > to see what boats are use where. Or planed to be use
                                  > there.
                                  >
                                  > A lot of time where you live will help define what
                                  > kind of boat you have or build Like in the middle of
                                  > the US bass boats are all over. When you get to the
                                  > coasts it's very mixed. Down in the gulf coast you
                                  > find a lot of flat boats for running in the shallows.
                                  >
                                  > Seeing how I'm from SE Alaska I look at boats that can
                                  > be used in rough water we have here. I also look to
                                  > see if it can run the inside passage.
                                  >
                                  > Blessings all
                                  > Krissie
                                  >

                                  > --- David <arbordg@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > K,
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm a neighbor of Jon's (and fellow member of the
                                  > > Western Oregon
                                  > > Messabout Society). Why do you ask?
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers,
                                  > > David Graybeal
                                  > > Portland, OR
                                  > >
                                  > > "Nature does nothing uselessly" -- Aristotle

                                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • David
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 6, 2006
                                    Jon,

                                    Don't give me that! I know for certain that I answered an email.
                                    Early 2005, I think it was <G> Seriously, if I've been slow to
                                    respond, I apologize. Life is hectic these days. We're still inching
                                    forward with the sailing rig for our Goat Island Skiff. I completed
                                    the tiller & stock this week (except for paint/varnish). We have all
                                    3 spars tapered, and started turning them into 8-sided Wed. nite.
                                    See you soon.

                                    Cheers,
                                    David Graybeal
                                    Portland, OR

                                    "We do not change as we grow older; we just become more clearly
                                    ourselves" -- Lynn Hall

                                    ******************

                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Hell David I live across the Columbia from you and can't get you
                                    > answer a E-mail. LOL I also like to know what part of the world
                                    > people are in for simalor reasons. That is why we have our profile
                                    > filled out even if it has been awhile from last update. Would be
                                    nice
                                    > if everyone filled out there profile but David can use a cartoon
                                    pic.

                                    > Jon
                                  • Jamie Orr
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 6, 2006
                                      Hi

                                      Go to http://www.smallcraftadvisor.com/ and look around. You can
                                      subscribe on-line if you decide you want it. I saw it first at the
                                      2004 Port Townsend show and thought it looked good -- right kind of
                                      boats and a local mag.

                                      We'll be clearing customs next July 13 (Friday the 13th!) at Roche
                                      on our way to Sucia -- join us then?

                                      Cheers,

                                      Jamie

                                      > I'm not far from Roche Harbor and the aircraft that
                                      > leave the airport there east bound fly over where I
                                      > live.
                                      >
                                      > I have not made up my mind about what to build but I
                                      > have a couple of small boat projects that may get done
                                      > first. Making a hard bottom for the Sea Eagle
                                      > inflatable does sound like a good idea then maybe give
                                      > it back to my Dad as a gift.
                                      >
                                      > I have no idea where to find Small Craft Advisor is it
                                      > here in the northwest?
                                      >

                                      > Blessings Krissie
                                      >
                                      > --- Jamie Orr <jas_orr@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Hi Kristine,
                                      > >
                                      > > If you're six miles from Vancouver Island, I guess
                                      > > I'm about six
                                      > > miles away from you. I live in Victoria and sail a
                                      > > Chebacco -- we
                                      > > get over to the San Juans about twice a year in her.
                                      > > Whereabouts in
                                      > > the islands are you?
                                      > >
                                      > > I saw John K's reply with the Sucia rendezvous URL,
                                      > > but that
                                      > > bypasses another small boat rendezvous you might be
                                      > > interested in.
                                      > > Try going to http://www.members.shaw.ca/jamie.orr/
                                      > > and see both
                                      > > rendezvous.
                                      > >
                                      > > (Both gatherings are written up in the Nov/Dec issue
                                      > > of Small Craft
                                      > > Advisor, which just came out. If you don't already
                                      > > subscribe, you
                                      > > should try it, and not just for the article
                                      > > mentioned.)
                                      > >
                                      > > Hope to see you on the water sometime!
                                      > >
                                      > > Cheers,
                                      > >
                                      > > Jamie Orr

                                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                    • Kristine Bennett
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 6, 2006
                                        I would love to but no boat at this time that has a
                                        running OB. But let me know when you are going to be
                                        at Roche and I'll enjoy meeting you after you clear
                                        customs.

                                        Just look for a tall woman walking a malamute. After
                                        you clear.

                                        or call me on my cel phone when you are at roche.

                                        Blessings Krissie

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Peter Lenihan
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 31, 2006
                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "macinkos" <smacinko@...> wrote:

                                          > Windemere update requested.....

                                          Hi Seth et al.,

                                          I'm right here ! Sorry about a long absence,but there
                                          were "computer issues" at my place of work where I have internet
                                          access.Something of a meltdown between management and moi regarding
                                          my "none work related use of company equipement".Well,as you can now
                                          see,I convinced them :-)
                                          Work on Windermere continues right along despite something of a
                                          set back when my crew took ill.Very ill, in fact, thus I had to play
                                          more important role as chief cook and bottle washer along with a
                                          supporting role as pot-licker.Things have improved greatly on the
                                          home
                                          front and life is returning to normal.
                                          A major distraction this past summer was the presence of Jean
                                          and
                                          Gaby with their fantastic AS-39 Anemone.Spent perhaps too much time
                                          goofing off with them while the weather was all hot and sunny and
                                          the
                                          beer flowed like...well.... the St.Lawrence! :-)
                                          I thought I would have been much much further along with
                                          Windermere but,as usual,my optimism got the better of me again and I
                                          under-estimated the real amount of work needed to finish up the
                                          stern
                                          section(lazerette,outboard motor mount,auxiliary motor mount,stern
                                          platform,access doors to motors,frame supports for folding aft deck
                                          etc...)
                                          Nevertheless,we charge on ever forward into the shortening days
                                          while discretely dumping the ice from the cooler and stocking up on
                                          Port for the coming arctic chill :-D. As my late grandmother would
                                          often say,"with the help of God and 14 policemen" I should be
                                          launched
                                          by early summer 2007.

                                          I've spent the first part of the night just trying to catch up
                                          with all the posts and got a kick out of the MICRO string.Sorta like
                                          deja vue all over again, to use a famous quote :-)

                                          Happy building and sailing to all!

                                          Sincerely,

                                          Peter Lenihan,re-learning how to type using the hunt-n-peck method I
                                          mastered after 6 years of hard practice........