Re: Project

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
      My thoughts on board foam or any other foam from the Big Box stores is
      not to use it. The board will not fill in all the space tightly alowong
      air space that can lead to condensation. The cand one part spray foams
      soak up water like a sponge. Two part pour foam in the space after
      encapsolating the ply trimming the foam and sealing with glass or
      sealed wood would be best and last a long time.

      Jon

      > I'm thinking about making the keel about 3 maybe 4
      > inches deep and 12 inches wide at the transom and
      > deepen it as it runs forward to about say 6 or 7
      > inches. Maybe more will have to see what looks right
      > on the boat. Yes and taper it in at the bow. Then fill
      > the box keel with board foam.
      >
      > I think the thing is rated to 650 lbs. SO thats me the
      > dog and the outboard and tank, and a little more
      >
      > Any feedback is welcome.
      > Kristine

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 3, 2006
        Robb,
        My launch date is sometime in the fall of 2005. Whoops. I'm now
        shooting for the early summer of 2007. I would have been fine with
        2005 but a life got in the way. A lot of travelling for work, a new
        relationship (which turned into buying a house and selling my old
        house) all conspired to put my boat building activities on ice.
        Initially I was annoyed. And then I realized that I like working on
        my LM, and if it takes me another two years to finish I'll be just
        fine. I can also justify my slow progress thus. I just looked for
        Dan Gonneau's LM site on the web. It's gone. So is Andrew Pryor's LM
        site. Both of these were inspirational web sites for LM
        builders/dreamers. So, my snail-like progress ensures that I leave a
        snail-like trail of pictures and updates on the internet for other
        builder/ dreamers.

        I hope to keep the LM on Lake Erie. The islands make it an ideal
        cruising ground- lots of exploring and even a short sail allows you to
        circumnaviage something interesting. I've been sailing on the Lake a
        few times (in other peoples' boats) and it's fun. Some day it will be
        my boat.

        I don't know what you're using for epoxy but the System Three fast
        hardner lets you epoxy until it's 35 F. I was able to work deep into
        the winter by using a small electric heater and a couple drop-lights
        (w/ 100 w light bulbs). Painting will be tough, but I was sometimes
        able to paint small patches and heat the spot w/ a light bulb. Not
        ideal, but it keeps the dream alive. Where you gonna sail when you're
        done?

        Bill, in Ohio

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

        > Wow........it looks great. are you planning to put it on lake
        erie?? do you have a completion date in mind? I can work on explorer
        full time if I want and I'm charging full steam ahead. First layer of
        bottom sheathing went on last nite. The weather is NOT epoxy friendly
        right now but I"m trying to make do ........Robb
      • Robb
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 3, 2006
          Hi again.........your story sounds all too familiar. I have vowed to never get married again.....it would be easier to just buy a different woman a new house every 5 years and get it over with. The last girl cost me my place to work on boats plus alot more. Thats why I bought this new "low budget" place to live. I couldn't be happier. It only costs me about 500 dollars a month for the trailer payment and all utilities combined and all the rest that I make I can spend on whatever I want. When I finish Explorer, the first thing I will do is head south til its warm enough to sail. (it will be finished this winter) The first really serious trip I'll take is planned to be the outer banks. Well see how all that goes. Robb