Re: Microcruiser Website

  • William King
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
      Robb,
      I have been building my Bolger Long Micro for three (gasp!) years now.
      I threw a couple of old pictures of my construction into a folder here:
      http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/

      Bill
      Wow........you know my area then.....you have no idea how close
      you've hit my location. What are you building?.....Robb

    • Robb

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
          My Dad that is now 79 was cleaning out his shop space
          and ran across one of the Sea Eagles he use to use on
          the powerbarge in Alaska, 15 or so years ago. He told
          me it needed a new bottom do to my little brother
          dragging over the rocks. The bottom is vinyl or PVC
          and the tubes are in good shape. It was on the barge
          one or maybe two years. Then he asked if I wanted it.
          I told him sure... OK I'm a sucker.

          Well the idea I have is to make a new wood bottom with
          a box keel and a REAL transom to mount the outboard
          on!

          SO I'm asking for some feedback it's 10 feet long and
          just about 5 feet wide over the tubes. It's the one
          that looked like a Zodiac. Not the donut.

          I'm thinking about making the keel about 3 maybe 4
          inches deep and 12 inches wide at the transom and
          deepen it as it runs forward to about say 6 or 7
          inches. Maybe more will have to see what looks right
          on the boat. Yes and taper it in at the bow. Then fill
          the box keel with board foam.

          I think the thing is rated to 650 lbs. SO thats me the
          dog and the outboard and tank, and a little more

          Any feedback is welcome.
          Kristine

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
            My thoughts on board foam or any other foam from the Big Box stores is
            not to use it. The board will not fill in all the space tightly alowong
            air space that can lead to condensation. The cand one part spray foams
            soak up water like a sponge. Two part pour foam in the space after
            encapsolating the ply trimming the foam and sealing with glass or
            sealed wood would be best and last a long time.

            Jon

            > I'm thinking about making the keel about 3 maybe 4
            > inches deep and 12 inches wide at the transom and
            > deepen it as it runs forward to about say 6 or 7
            > inches. Maybe more will have to see what looks right
            > on the boat. Yes and taper it in at the bow. Then fill
            > the box keel with board foam.
            >
            > I think the thing is rated to 650 lbs. SO thats me the
            > dog and the outboard and tank, and a little more
            >
            > Any feedback is welcome.
            > Kristine

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2006
              Robb,
              My launch date is sometime in the fall of 2005. Whoops. I'm now
              shooting for the early summer of 2007. I would have been fine with
              2005 but a life got in the way. A lot of travelling for work, a new
              relationship (which turned into buying a house and selling my old
              house) all conspired to put my boat building activities on ice.
              Initially I was annoyed. And then I realized that I like working on
              my LM, and if it takes me another two years to finish I'll be just
              fine. I can also justify my slow progress thus. I just looked for
              Dan Gonneau's LM site on the web. It's gone. So is Andrew Pryor's LM
              site. Both of these were inspirational web sites for LM
              builders/dreamers. So, my snail-like progress ensures that I leave a
              snail-like trail of pictures and updates on the internet for other
              builder/ dreamers.

              I hope to keep the LM on Lake Erie. The islands make it an ideal
              cruising ground- lots of exploring and even a short sail allows you to
              circumnaviage something interesting. I've been sailing on the Lake a
              few times (in other peoples' boats) and it's fun. Some day it will be
              my boat.

              I don't know what you're using for epoxy but the System Three fast
              hardner lets you epoxy until it's 35 F. I was able to work deep into
              the winter by using a small electric heater and a couple drop-lights
              (w/ 100 w light bulbs). Painting will be tough, but I was sometimes
              able to paint small patches and heat the spot w/ a light bulb. Not
              ideal, but it keeps the dream alive. Where you gonna sail when you're
              done?

              Bill, in Ohio

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

              > Wow........it looks great. are you planning to put it on lake
              erie?? do you have a completion date in mind? I can work on explorer
              full time if I want and I'm charging full steam ahead. First layer of
              bottom sheathing went on last nite. The weather is NOT epoxy friendly
              right now but I"m trying to make do ........Robb
            • Robb
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 3, 2006
                Hi again.........your story sounds all too familiar. I have vowed to never get married again.....it would be easier to just buy a different woman a new house every 5 years and get it over with. The last girl cost me my place to work on boats plus alot more. Thats why I bought this new "low budget" place to live. I couldn't be happier. It only costs me about 500 dollars a month for the trailer payment and all utilities combined and all the rest that I make I can spend on whatever I want. When I finish Explorer, the first thing I will do is head south til its warm enough to sail. (it will be finished this winter) The first really serious trip I'll take is planned to be the outer banks. Well see how all that goes. Robb