Re: Spartina on the Net

  • gbship
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <pseudodion@...> wrote:

      > Gary,
      >
      > The plans specify half inch for planking, deck and bulkheads and
      the
      > bottom is double 1/2. It will be a heavy 15 footer, I imagine
      somewhere
      > around 500 lbs w/o the rig. Bob Chamberlain posted here sometime
      ago, I
      > think, that he asked Bolger if he could use 3/8 ply for the
      planking,
      > but received a resounding no.
      >
      > I'm going to build the boat with both the cat and sloop mast
      positions,
      > but will initially opt for the gaff sloop configuration because I'm
      not
      > sold on the solent lug. It would be interesting to see if beach
      cat's
      > gaff rig could be used on this boat as as an alternative to the
      solent
      > lugsail. -- Dennis

      Dennis:
      My memory is probably wrong on the scantlings. The boat had the
      solent lug rig, only Bolger was using a jib-headed sail scavenged
      from one of the old catbaots Spartina was designed to replace. I
      remember Susanne complaining about the big wrinkle where the yard met
      the mast. Didn't seem to affect its sailing, though. Susanne was a
      possessed helmsperson. She'd sail straight at the shore of the river
      and tack away about a foot before the bow hit the weeds, which left
      me mightiliy impressed with the boat's handiness. I can't find my
      BWAOM at the moment; how big is the gaff main? Semms like it might be
      around the 135 square feet as the v-bottom cat dayailer - a nicely
      sized and shaped sail. The boat is also stable. I remember standing
      on the gunnel and still having several inches of freeboard.

      Gary