Re: [bolger] Re: Microcruiser Website

  • Robb
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
      From: Bill
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 10:44 AM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Microcruiser Website

      Robb,
      Good to see another Ohioan building a boat. Please let us know when
      you update your site.
      Bill, in Ohio (Wood County)

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the building and
      > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
      > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

    • Robb
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
        Hi there Bill.....thanks......Clinton County here......I don't think I know where Wood County is.....Must be up north. Rob
        Good to see another Ohioan building a boat. Please let us know when
        you update your site.
        Bill, in Ohio (Wood County)

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the building and
        > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
        > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

      • ravenouspi
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
          Notice the similarity in shape (ignoring size and proportion) in the
          last picture of Robb's microcruiser hull upside down without the
          bottom and the Bolger Black skimmer being built at Alexus Marine.

          http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html

          It's a Baby Skimmer!

          Rav

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the building and
          > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
          > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
            Robb,
            Yup, waaay up north on I75, just south of Toledo [said with a wry
            smile]. Bowling Green is the county seat. Sometimes I feel that I
            could throw a rock and hit our boat-building brethren in Canada (not
            that I would ever toss a rock at them. No siree). I used to live in
            Cincinnati and rode my motorcycle out on Rt. 28 quite a few times (I
            remember passing thru Farmers and New Vienna). Nice country down there.
            It's good to see others building in Ohio and sharing their progress.
            Now I should probably update my pictures and share some progress too.

            Bill, in Ohio

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
              Wow........you know my area then.....you have no idea how close you've hit my location. What are you building?.....Robb

              Yup, waaay up north on I75, just south of Toledo [said with a wry
              smile]. Bowling Green is the county seat. Sometimes I feel that I
              could throw a rock and hit our boat-building brethren in Canada (not
              that I would ever toss a rock at them. No siree). I used to live in
              Cincinnati and rode my motorcycle out on Rt. 28 quite a few times (I
              remember passing thru Farmers and New Vienna). Nice country down there.
              It's good to see others building in Ohio and sharing their progress.
              Now I should probably update my pictures and share some progress too.

              Bill, in Ohio

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

              > Hi there Bill.....thanks......Clinton County here......I don't think
              I know where Wood County is.....Must be up north. Rob

            • Lepage Roger
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                To me,Itlooks more like Enigma.
                Take a look
                here.http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_b
                oat2005.htm Roger

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                  http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_boat20
                  05.htm
                  It is verry difficul to get these adress right.
                  Roger
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Lepage Roger" <roglep@...> wrote:

                  > To me,Itlooks more like Enigma.
                  > Take a look

                  here.http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_b
                  > oat2005.htm Roger
                  >

                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ravenouspi" <ravenous@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Notice the similarity ﷯in shape﷯ (ignoring size
                  and proportion) in
                  > the
                  > > last picture of Robb's microcruiser hull upside down without the
                  > > bottom and the Bolger Black skimmer being built at Alexus Marine.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html
                  > >
                  > > It's a Baby Skimmer!
                  > >
                  > > Rav
                  > >

                  > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the
                  building
                  > and
                  > > > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
                  > > > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

                • derbyrm
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                    With an outboard motor it would need a registration number, but with a mailbox?

                    re: http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/readytoroll20060301.jpg

                    Roger D.
                    derbyrm@...
                    http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                    It is verry difficul to get these adress right.
                    Roger
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Lepage Roger" <roglep@...> wrote:

                    > To me,Itlooks more like Enigma.
                    > Take a look

                    here.http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_b
                    > oat2005.htm Roger
                    >

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ravenouspi" <ravenous@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Notice the similarity ﷯in shape﷯ (ignoring size
                    and proportion) in
                    > the
                    > > last picture of Robb's microcruiser hull upside down without the
                    > > bottom and the Bolger Black skimmer being built at Alexus Marine.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html
                    > >
                    > > It's a Baby Skimmer!
                    > >
                    > > Rav
                    > >

                    > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the
                    building
                    > and
                    > > > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
                    > > > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

                  • Nels
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "derbyrm" <derbyrm@...> wrote:

                      > With an outboard motor it would need a registration number, but with
                      a mailbox?

                      > re:
                      http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/readytoroll20060301.jpg

                      > Roger D.

                      Maybe just a zipcode is all?

                      Nels:-)
                    • William King
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
                        Robb,
                        I have been building my Bolger Long Micro for three (gasp!) years now.
                        I threw a couple of old pictures of my construction into a folder here:
                        http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/

                        Bill

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
                            My Dad that is now 79 was cleaning out his shop space
                            and ran across one of the Sea Eagles he use to use on
                            the powerbarge in Alaska, 15 or so years ago. He told
                            me it needed a new bottom do to my little brother
                            dragging over the rocks. The bottom is vinyl or PVC
                            and the tubes are in good shape. It was on the barge
                            one or maybe two years. Then he asked if I wanted it.
                            I told him sure... OK I'm a sucker.

                            Well the idea I have is to make a new wood bottom with
                            a box keel and a REAL transom to mount the outboard
                            on!

                            SO I'm asking for some feedback it's 10 feet long and
                            just about 5 feet wide over the tubes. It's the one
                            that looked like a Zodiac. Not the donut.

                            I'm thinking about making the keel about 3 maybe 4
                            inches deep and 12 inches wide at the transom and
                            deepen it as it runs forward to about say 6 or 7
                            inches. Maybe more will have to see what looks right
                            on the boat. Yes and taper it in at the bow. Then fill
                            the box keel with board foam.

                            I think the thing is rated to 650 lbs. SO thats me the
                            dog and the outboard and tank, and a little more

                            Any feedback is welcome.
                            Kristine

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
                              My thoughts on board foam or any other foam from the Big Box stores is
                              not to use it. The board will not fill in all the space tightly alowong
                              air space that can lead to condensation. The cand one part spray foams
                              soak up water like a sponge. Two part pour foam in the space after
                              encapsolating the ply trimming the foam and sealing with glass or
                              sealed wood would be best and last a long time.

                              Jon

                              > I'm thinking about making the keel about 3 maybe 4
                              > inches deep and 12 inches wide at the transom and
                              > deepen it as it runs forward to about say 6 or 7
                              > inches. Maybe more will have to see what looks right
                              > on the boat. Yes and taper it in at the bow. Then fill
                              > the box keel with board foam.
                              >
                              > I think the thing is rated to 650 lbs. SO thats me the
                              > dog and the outboard and tank, and a little more
                              >
                              > Any feedback is welcome.
                              > Kristine

                              > http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • Bill
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 3, 2006
                                Robb,
                                My launch date is sometime in the fall of 2005. Whoops. I'm now
                                shooting for the early summer of 2007. I would have been fine with
                                2005 but a life got in the way. A lot of travelling for work, a new
                                relationship (which turned into buying a house and selling my old
                                house) all conspired to put my boat building activities on ice.
                                Initially I was annoyed. And then I realized that I like working on
                                my LM, and if it takes me another two years to finish I'll be just
                                fine. I can also justify my slow progress thus. I just looked for
                                Dan Gonneau's LM site on the web. It's gone. So is Andrew Pryor's LM
                                site. Both of these were inspirational web sites for LM
                                builders/dreamers. So, my snail-like progress ensures that I leave a
                                snail-like trail of pictures and updates on the internet for other
                                builder/ dreamers.

                                I hope to keep the LM on Lake Erie. The islands make it an ideal
                                cruising ground- lots of exploring and even a short sail allows you to
                                circumnaviage something interesting. I've been sailing on the Lake a
                                few times (in other peoples' boats) and it's fun. Some day it will be
                                my boat.

                                I don't know what you're using for epoxy but the System Three fast
                                hardner lets you epoxy until it's 35 F. I was able to work deep into
                                the winter by using a small electric heater and a couple drop-lights
                                (w/ 100 w light bulbs). Painting will be tough, but I was sometimes
                                able to paint small patches and heat the spot w/ a light bulb. Not
                                ideal, but it keeps the dream alive. Where you gonna sail when you're
                                done?

                                Bill, in Ohio

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

                                > Wow........it looks great. are you planning to put it on lake
                                erie?? do you have a completion date in mind? I can work on explorer
                                full time if I want and I'm charging full steam ahead. First layer of
                                bottom sheathing went on last nite. The weather is NOT epoxy friendly
                                right now but I"m trying to make do ........Robb
                              • Robb
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 3, 2006
                                  Hi again.........your story sounds all too familiar. I have vowed to never get married again.....it would be easier to just buy a different woman a new house every 5 years and get it over with. The last girl cost me my place to work on boats plus alot more. Thats why I bought this new "low budget" place to live. I couldn't be happier. It only costs me about 500 dollars a month for the trailer payment and all utilities combined and all the rest that I make I can spend on whatever I want. When I finish Explorer, the first thing I will do is head south til its warm enough to sail. (it will be finished this winter) The first really serious trip I'll take is planned to be the outer banks. Well see how all that goes. Robb