Re: Microcruiser Website

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
      Robb,
      Good to see another Ohioan building a boat. Please let us know when
      you update your site.
      Bill, in Ohio (Wood County)

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the building and
      > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
      > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

    • Robb
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
          Hi there Bill.....thanks......Clinton County here......I don't think I know where Wood County is.....Must be up north. Rob
          Good to see another Ohioan building a boat. Please let us know when
          you update your site.
          Bill, in Ohio (Wood County)

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the building and
          > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
          > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

        • ravenouspi
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
            Notice the similarity in shape (ignoring size and proportion) in the
            last picture of Robb's microcruiser hull upside down without the
            bottom and the Bolger Black skimmer being built at Alexus Marine.

            http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html

            It's a Baby Skimmer!

            Rav

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
              Robb,
              Yup, waaay up north on I75, just south of Toledo [said with a wry
              smile]. Bowling Green is the county seat. Sometimes I feel that I
              could throw a rock and hit our boat-building brethren in Canada (not
              that I would ever toss a rock at them. No siree). I used to live in
              Cincinnati and rode my motorcycle out on Rt. 28 quite a few times (I
              remember passing thru Farmers and New Vienna). Nice country down there.
              It's good to see others building in Ohio and sharing their progress.
              Now I should probably update my pictures and share some progress too.

              Bill, in Ohio

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                Wow........you know my area then.....you have no idea how close you've hit my location. What are you building?.....Robb

                Yup, waaay up north on I75, just south of Toledo [said with a wry
                smile]. Bowling Green is the county seat. Sometimes I feel that I
                could throw a rock and hit our boat-building brethren in Canada (not
                that I would ever toss a rock at them. No siree). I used to live in
                Cincinnati and rode my motorcycle out on Rt. 28 quite a few times (I
                remember passing thru Farmers and New Vienna). Nice country down there.
                It's good to see others building in Ohio and sharing their progress.
                Now I should probably update my pictures and share some progress too.

                Bill, in Ohio

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

                > Hi there Bill.....thanks......Clinton County here......I don't think
                I know where Wood County is.....Must be up north. Rob

              • Lepage Roger
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                  To me,Itlooks more like Enigma.
                  Take a look
                  here.http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_b
                  oat2005.htm Roger

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                    http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_boat20
                    05.htm
                    It is verry difficul to get these adress right.
                    Roger
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Lepage Roger" <roglep@...> wrote:

                    > To me,Itlooks more like Enigma.
                    > Take a look

                    here.http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_b
                    > oat2005.htm Roger
                    >

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ravenouspi" <ravenous@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Notice the similarity ﷯in shape﷯ (ignoring size
                    and proportion) in
                    > the
                    > > last picture of Robb's microcruiser hull upside down without the
                    > > bottom and the Bolger Black skimmer being built at Alexus Marine.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html
                    > >
                    > > It's a Baby Skimmer!
                    > >
                    > > Rav
                    > >

                    > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the
                    building
                    > and
                    > > > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
                    > > > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

                  • derbyrm
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                      With an outboard motor it would need a registration number, but with a mailbox?

                      re: http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/readytoroll20060301.jpg

                      Roger D.
                      derbyrm@...
                      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                      It is verry difficul to get these adress right.
                      Roger
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Lepage Roger" <roglep@...> wrote:

                      > To me,Itlooks more like Enigma.
                      > Take a look

                      here.http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_b
                      > oat2005.htm Roger
                      >

                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ravenouspi" <ravenous@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Notice the similarity ﷯in shape﷯ (ignoring size
                      and proportion) in
                      > the
                      > > last picture of Robb's microcruiser hull upside down without the
                      > > bottom and the Bolger Black skimmer being built at Alexus Marine.
                      > >
                      > > http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html
                      > >
                      > > It's a Baby Skimmer!
                      > >
                      > > Rav
                      > >

                      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the
                      building
                      > and
                      > > > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
                      > > > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

                    • Nels
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "derbyrm" <derbyrm@...> wrote:

                        > With an outboard motor it would need a registration number, but with
                        a mailbox?

                        > re:
                        http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/readytoroll20060301.jpg

                        > Roger D.

                        Maybe just a zipcode is all?

                        Nels:-)
                      • William King
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
                          Robb,
                          I have been building my Bolger Long Micro for three (gasp!) years now.
                          I threw a couple of old pictures of my construction into a folder here:
                          http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/

                          Bill

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
                              My Dad that is now 79 was cleaning out his shop space
                              and ran across one of the Sea Eagles he use to use on
                              the powerbarge in Alaska, 15 or so years ago. He told
                              me it needed a new bottom do to my little brother
                              dragging over the rocks. The bottom is vinyl or PVC
                              and the tubes are in good shape. It was on the barge
                              one or maybe two years. Then he asked if I wanted it.
                              I told him sure... OK I'm a sucker.

                              Well the idea I have is to make a new wood bottom with
                              a box keel and a REAL transom to mount the outboard
                              on!

                              SO I'm asking for some feedback it's 10 feet long and
                              just about 5 feet wide over the tubes. It's the one
                              that looked like a Zodiac. Not the donut.

                              I'm thinking about making the keel about 3 maybe 4
                              inches deep and 12 inches wide at the transom and
                              deepen it as it runs forward to about say 6 or 7
                              inches. Maybe more will have to see what looks right
                              on the boat. Yes and taper it in at the bow. Then fill
                              the box keel with board foam.

                              I think the thing is rated to 650 lbs. SO thats me the
                              dog and the outboard and tank, and a little more

                              Any feedback is welcome.
                              Kristine

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
                                My thoughts on board foam or any other foam from the Big Box stores is
                                not to use it. The board will not fill in all the space tightly alowong
                                air space that can lead to condensation. The cand one part spray foams
                                soak up water like a sponge. Two part pour foam in the space after
                                encapsolating the ply trimming the foam and sealing with glass or
                                sealed wood would be best and last a long time.

                                Jon

                                > I'm thinking about making the keel about 3 maybe 4
                                > inches deep and 12 inches wide at the transom and
                                > deepen it as it runs forward to about say 6 or 7
                                > inches. Maybe more will have to see what looks right
                                > on the boat. Yes and taper it in at the bow. Then fill
                                > the box keel with board foam.
                                >
                                > I think the thing is rated to 650 lbs. SO thats me the
                                > dog and the outboard and tank, and a little more
                                >
                                > Any feedback is welcome.
                                > Kristine

                                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                              • Bill
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 3, 2006
                                  Robb,
                                  My launch date is sometime in the fall of 2005. Whoops. I'm now
                                  shooting for the early summer of 2007. I would have been fine with
                                  2005 but a life got in the way. A lot of travelling for work, a new
                                  relationship (which turned into buying a house and selling my old
                                  house) all conspired to put my boat building activities on ice.
                                  Initially I was annoyed. And then I realized that I like working on
                                  my LM, and if it takes me another two years to finish I'll be just
                                  fine. I can also justify my slow progress thus. I just looked for
                                  Dan Gonneau's LM site on the web. It's gone. So is Andrew Pryor's LM
                                  site. Both of these were inspirational web sites for LM
                                  builders/dreamers. So, my snail-like progress ensures that I leave a
                                  snail-like trail of pictures and updates on the internet for other
                                  builder/ dreamers.

                                  I hope to keep the LM on Lake Erie. The islands make it an ideal
                                  cruising ground- lots of exploring and even a short sail allows you to
                                  circumnaviage something interesting. I've been sailing on the Lake a
                                  few times (in other peoples' boats) and it's fun. Some day it will be
                                  my boat.

                                  I don't know what you're using for epoxy but the System Three fast
                                  hardner lets you epoxy until it's 35 F. I was able to work deep into
                                  the winter by using a small electric heater and a couple drop-lights
                                  (w/ 100 w light bulbs). Painting will be tough, but I was sometimes
                                  able to paint small patches and heat the spot w/ a light bulb. Not
                                  ideal, but it keeps the dream alive. Where you gonna sail when you're
                                  done?

                                  Bill, in Ohio

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

                                  > Wow........it looks great. are you planning to put it on lake
                                  erie?? do you have a completion date in mind? I can work on explorer
                                  full time if I want and I'm charging full steam ahead. First layer of
                                  bottom sheathing went on last nite. The weather is NOT epoxy friendly
                                  right now but I"m trying to make do ........Robb
                                • Robb
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 3, 2006
                                    Hi again.........your story sounds all too familiar. I have vowed to never get married again.....it would be easier to just buy a different woman a new house every 5 years and get it over with. The last girl cost me my place to work on boats plus alot more. Thats why I bought this new "low budget" place to live. I couldn't be happier. It only costs me about 500 dollars a month for the trailer payment and all utilities combined and all the rest that I make I can spend on whatever I want. When I finish Explorer, the first thing I will do is head south til its warm enough to sail. (it will be finished this winter) The first really serious trip I'll take is planned to be the outer banks. Well see how all that goes. Robb