Microcruiser Website

  • Robb
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 25, 2006
      Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the building and
      sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
      www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb
    • Chris Curtis
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 25, 2006
        Very cool Robb. Please keep the pictures coming. One question, you
        mentioned on the website that the birdwatcher was an influence. The
        BW is one of my favorites. Can you let the group know (or just
        myself) how you are going to setup the deck and how the BW influenced
        you.

        Chris Curtis

        On Sep 25, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Robb wrote:

        > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the building and
        > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
        > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

        Chris Curtis
        Sandpoint Computers
        Office 208-265-1608
        Cell 208-610-3062

      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
          That's a wondeful idea for a solo cruiser. You have the proportions
          just right.
          Mark

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
            Hi....Thanks!!........Robb

            That's a wondeful idea for a solo cruiser. You have the proportions
            just right.
            Mark

            On Sep 25, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Robb wrote:

            > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the building and
            > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
            > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
              Robb,
              Good to see another Ohioan building a boat. Please let us know when
              you update your site.
              Bill, in Ohio (Wood County)

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
                  Hi there Bill.....thanks......Clinton County here......I don't think I know where Wood County is.....Must be up north. Rob
                  Good to see another Ohioan building a boat. Please let us know when
                  you update your site.
                  Bill, in Ohio (Wood County)

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the building and
                  > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
                  > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

                • ravenouspi
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
                    Notice the similarity in shape (ignoring size and proportion) in the
                    last picture of Robb's microcruiser hull upside down without the
                    bottom and the Bolger Black skimmer being built at Alexus Marine.

                    http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html

                    It's a Baby Skimmer!

                    Rav

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                      Robb,
                      Yup, waaay up north on I75, just south of Toledo [said with a wry
                      smile]. Bowling Green is the county seat. Sometimes I feel that I
                      could throw a rock and hit our boat-building brethren in Canada (not
                      that I would ever toss a rock at them. No siree). I used to live in
                      Cincinnati and rode my motorcycle out on Rt. 28 quite a few times (I
                      remember passing thru Farmers and New Vienna). Nice country down there.
                      It's good to see others building in Ohio and sharing their progress.
                      Now I should probably update my pictures and share some progress too.

                      Bill, in Ohio

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                        Wow........you know my area then.....you have no idea how close you've hit my location. What are you building?.....Robb

                        Yup, waaay up north on I75, just south of Toledo [said with a wry
                        smile]. Bowling Green is the county seat. Sometimes I feel that I
                        could throw a rock and hit our boat-building brethren in Canada (not
                        that I would ever toss a rock at them. No siree). I used to live in
                        Cincinnati and rode my motorcycle out on Rt. 28 quite a few times (I
                        remember passing thru Farmers and New Vienna). Nice country down there.
                        It's good to see others building in Ohio and sharing their progress.
                        Now I should probably update my pictures and share some progress too.

                        Bill, in Ohio

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

                        > Hi there Bill.....thanks......Clinton County here......I don't think
                        I know where Wood County is.....Must be up north. Rob

                      • Lepage Roger
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                          To me,Itlooks more like Enigma.
                          Take a look
                          here.http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_b
                          oat2005.htm Roger

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                            http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_boat20
                            05.htm
                            It is verry difficul to get these adress right.
                            Roger
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Lepage Roger" <roglep@...> wrote:

                            > To me,Itlooks more like Enigma.
                            > Take a look

                            here.http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_b
                            > oat2005.htm Roger
                            >

                            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ravenouspi" <ravenous@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Notice the similarity ﷯in shape﷯ (ignoring size
                            and proportion) in
                            > the
                            > > last picture of Robb's microcruiser hull upside down without the
                            > > bottom and the Bolger Black skimmer being built at Alexus Marine.
                            > >
                            > > http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html
                            > >
                            > > It's a Baby Skimmer!
                            > >
                            > > Rav
                            > >

                            > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the
                            building
                            > and
                            > > > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
                            > > > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

                          • derbyrm
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                              With an outboard motor it would need a registration number, but with a mailbox?

                              re: http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/readytoroll20060301.jpg

                              Roger D.
                              derbyrm@...
                              http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                              It is verry difficul to get these adress right.
                              Roger
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Lepage Roger" <roglep@...> wrote:

                              > To me,Itlooks more like Enigma.
                              > Take a look

                              here.http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_b
                              > oat2005.htm Roger
                              >

                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ravenouspi" <ravenous@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Notice the similarity ﷯in shape﷯ (ignoring size
                              and proportion) in
                              > the
                              > > last picture of Robb's microcruiser hull upside down without the
                              > > bottom and the Bolger Black skimmer being built at Alexus Marine.
                              > >
                              > > http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html
                              > >
                              > > It's a Baby Skimmer!
                              > >
                              > > Rav
                              > >

                              > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi, I've just launched a new website that will show the
                              building
                              > and
                              > > > sailing of a new microcruiser called Explorer. Here's the link
                              > > > www.explorermicrocruiser.com Robb

                            • Nels
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 28, 2006
                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "derbyrm" <derbyrm@...> wrote:

                                > With an outboard motor it would need a registration number, but with
                                a mailbox?

                                > re:
                                http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/readytoroll20060301.jpg

                                > Roger D.

                                Maybe just a zipcode is all?

                                Nels:-)
                              • William King
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
                                  Robb,
                                  I have been building my Bolger Long Micro for three (gasp!) years now.
                                  I threw a couple of old pictures of my construction into a folder here:
                                  http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/

                                  Bill

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
                                      My Dad that is now 79 was cleaning out his shop space
                                      and ran across one of the Sea Eagles he use to use on
                                      the powerbarge in Alaska, 15 or so years ago. He told
                                      me it needed a new bottom do to my little brother
                                      dragging over the rocks. The bottom is vinyl or PVC
                                      and the tubes are in good shape. It was on the barge
                                      one or maybe two years. Then he asked if I wanted it.
                                      I told him sure... OK I'm a sucker.

                                      Well the idea I have is to make a new wood bottom with
                                      a box keel and a REAL transom to mount the outboard
                                      on!

                                      SO I'm asking for some feedback it's 10 feet long and
                                      just about 5 feet wide over the tubes. It's the one
                                      that looked like a Zodiac. Not the donut.

                                      I'm thinking about making the keel about 3 maybe 4
                                      inches deep and 12 inches wide at the transom and
                                      deepen it as it runs forward to about say 6 or 7
                                      inches. Maybe more will have to see what looks right
                                      on the boat. Yes and taper it in at the bow. Then fill
                                      the box keel with board foam.

                                      I think the thing is rated to 650 lbs. SO thats me the
                                      dog and the outboard and tank, and a little more

                                      Any feedback is welcome.
                                      Kristine

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 2, 2006
                                        My thoughts on board foam or any other foam from the Big Box stores is
                                        not to use it. The board will not fill in all the space tightly alowong
                                        air space that can lead to condensation. The cand one part spray foams
                                        soak up water like a sponge. Two part pour foam in the space after
                                        encapsolating the ply trimming the foam and sealing with glass or
                                        sealed wood would be best and last a long time.

                                        Jon

                                        > I'm thinking about making the keel about 3 maybe 4
                                        > inches deep and 12 inches wide at the transom and
                                        > deepen it as it runs forward to about say 6 or 7
                                        > inches. Maybe more will have to see what looks right
                                        > on the boat. Yes and taper it in at the bow. Then fill
                                        > the box keel with board foam.
                                        >
                                        > I think the thing is rated to 650 lbs. SO thats me the
                                        > dog and the outboard and tank, and a little more
                                        >
                                        > Any feedback is welcome.
                                        > Kristine

                                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                      • Bill
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 3, 2006
                                          Robb,
                                          My launch date is sometime in the fall of 2005. Whoops. I'm now
                                          shooting for the early summer of 2007. I would have been fine with
                                          2005 but a life got in the way. A lot of travelling for work, a new
                                          relationship (which turned into buying a house and selling my old
                                          house) all conspired to put my boat building activities on ice.
                                          Initially I was annoyed. And then I realized that I like working on
                                          my LM, and if it takes me another two years to finish I'll be just
                                          fine. I can also justify my slow progress thus. I just looked for
                                          Dan Gonneau's LM site on the web. It's gone. So is Andrew Pryor's LM
                                          site. Both of these were inspirational web sites for LM
                                          builders/dreamers. So, my snail-like progress ensures that I leave a
                                          snail-like trail of pictures and updates on the internet for other
                                          builder/ dreamers.

                                          I hope to keep the LM on Lake Erie. The islands make it an ideal
                                          cruising ground- lots of exploring and even a short sail allows you to
                                          circumnaviage something interesting. I've been sailing on the Lake a
                                          few times (in other peoples' boats) and it's fun. Some day it will be
                                          my boat.

                                          I don't know what you're using for epoxy but the System Three fast
                                          hardner lets you epoxy until it's 35 F. I was able to work deep into
                                          the winter by using a small electric heater and a couple drop-lights
                                          (w/ 100 w light bulbs). Painting will be tough, but I was sometimes
                                          able to paint small patches and heat the spot w/ a light bulb. Not
                                          ideal, but it keeps the dream alive. Where you gonna sail when you're
                                          done?

                                          Bill, in Ohio

                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <Robb@...> wrote:

                                          > Wow........it looks great. are you planning to put it on lake
                                          erie?? do you have a completion date in mind? I can work on explorer
                                          full time if I want and I'm charging full steam ahead. First layer of
                                          bottom sheathing went on last nite. The weather is NOT epoxy friendly
                                          right now but I"m trying to make do ........Robb
                                        • Robb
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 3, 2006
                                            Hi again.........your story sounds all too familiar. I have vowed to never get married again.....it would be easier to just buy a different woman a new house every 5 years and get it over with. The last girl cost me my place to work on boats plus alot more. Thats why I bought this new "low budget" place to live. I couldn't be happier. It only costs me about 500 dollars a month for the trailer payment and all utilities combined and all the rest that I make I can spend on whatever I want. When I finish Explorer, the first thing I will do is head south til its warm enough to sail. (it will be finished this winter) The first really serious trip I'll take is planned to be the outer banks. Well see how all that goes. Robb