Software

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2006
      I am looking for software that will take a set of boat offsets and provide panel expansions. Something easy to use would be good.

      Mike

    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 22, 2006
        Greg Carlson, the moderator of this group has a free program called
        Hulls that is easy to use

        http://www.carlsondesign.com/#Fun_Shareware

        Freeship is a free program quite a bit more sophisticated than Hulls.
        Bruce Hallman a major contributor to this list and probably the most
        experienced at plugging in Bolger designs and extracting models or
        complete boats used to use Hulls and now has moved to Freeship.

        http://freeship.sourceforge.net/

        There is an old program out there that I used to use called Plyboats. It
        says it will run run on XP and 2000, the last time I used it was on a
        box running 98SE. I now use Hulls but the Plyboats manual has an
        interesting discussion on some design considerations and aesthetics.

        http://www.plyboats.com/

        HJ

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2006
          On 9/22/06, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:

          > http://www.carlsondesign.com/#Fun_Shareware
          > http://freeship.sourceforge.net/

          I like both Hulls and Freeship. Both have a moderately steep learning
          curve. Freeship has 'more feature' and more things to learn to make
          it work well. Freeship has more of 'user community' with help
          available through user forumns.

          With practice you can go from nothing to a complete sissors and tape
          cardboard scale model in an hour or two.

          A great way to prototype ideas.
        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 22, 2006
            I have a copy of plyboats and it won't run on XP for me even if I run
            it through compatability. Hulls works well for simpal boats even to a
            fair size.

            Jon