Re: [bolger] Mast Bury

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      On 9/1/06, dvacanti <mike_vacanti@...> wrote:

      > I vaugely remember reading somewhere that Phil Bolger had a rule of
      > thumb for calculating the minimum mast bury for a freestanding mast.

      I suspect that Bolger just 'eye ball' estimates what looks right.

      He almost always has the foot of the mast resting at the bottom of the
      boat and the mast partner as high up as practical, at deck height, and
      often up at the sheer line, or even higher with recent tendency
      favoring tabernacles.
    • dvacanti
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        The 10% number sounds familiar, thanks for the replies.

        -Mike

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Lepak" <gnjlepak@...> wrote:

        > I don't know what Bolger suggests, but I think the standard figure
        is 10% of
        > the overall length minimum, which is what Jock McLeod reccomended for
        > unstayed junk rigged masts.
        >
        > Gary
      • oarmandt
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
          The most extreme I have noticed is Fast Motorsailer, page 324 in Boats
          with an Open Mind. Bury scales to about 20" for a 19'-11" mast, or
          about 8%. The mast step is on deck and the partners at the top of the
          pilot house. There is a lot of area on that mast too, a 265 square
          foot dipping lug.

          Doug

          > On 9/1/06, dvacanti <mike_vacanti@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I vaugely remember reading somewhere that Phil Bolger had a rule of
          > > thumb for calculating the minimum mast bury for a freestanding mast.
          >
          > I suspect that Bolger just 'eye ball' estimates what looks right.
          >
          > He almost always has the foot of the mast resting at the bottom of the
          > boat and the mast partner as high up as practical, at deck height, and
          > often up at the sheer line, or even higher with recent tendency
          > favoring tabernacles.

        • Joe Tribulato
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
            I had a very short bury in a small scow I designed. It used Bolgers
            59sf LOM sail from Teal. The step was a plug glued and bolted to a
            block on the bottom. A 2-inch pvc tube extends about 8 inches above
            the deck to accept the mast. Sailing on a very brisk day put too mych
            strain on the plug and sheered it from the block, The bolt held it
            somewhat so no major damage occured. The fix was to install a proper
            step which encircled the mast tube and had more glue area and
            fasteners. I was concerned that the short bury would put a heavy load
            on the mast at the partner, hence the tube to try to spread the load.
            The leverage of the sail force against the plug sheered it. The plug
            step and tube worked fine on my Teal but it has about twice the bury.

            Joe T

            In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Lepak" <gnjlepak@...> wrote:

            > I don't know what Bolger suggests, but I think the standard figure
            is 10% of
            > the overall length minimum, which is what Jock McLeod reccomended for
            > unstayed junk rigged masts.
            >
            > Gary

          • ANDREW AIREY
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
              I take it that a tabernacle fastened to the keel and
              the mast fastened to the tabernacle would count as a
              single mast for these purposes - an thinking of
              counterweighted masts for bridge clearance purposes
              Cheers
              Andy Airey

              http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
            • David Davis
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
                Mast bury when using a tabernacle might be considered to be pivot
                point to lock pin. Additional support in the tabernacle might be
                arranged by more pins / crossbars, etc but then lowering / raising the
                mast would take a bit longer.

                Bottom support to top support in the tabernacle would be bury.
                Tabernacle strength would be another ( related) matter.

                Sharpie