Re: [bolger] Mast Bury

  • Gary Lepak
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      I don't know what Bolger suggests, but I think the standard figure is 10% of
      the overall length minimum, which is what Jock McLeod reccomended for
      unstayed junk rigged masts.

      Gary
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        On 9/1/06, dvacanti <mike_vacanti@...> wrote:

        > I vaugely remember reading somewhere that Phil Bolger had a rule of
        > thumb for calculating the minimum mast bury for a freestanding mast.

        I suspect that Bolger just 'eye ball' estimates what looks right.

        He almost always has the foot of the mast resting at the bottom of the
        boat and the mast partner as high up as practical, at deck height, and
        often up at the sheer line, or even higher with recent tendency
        favoring tabernacles.
      • dvacanti
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
          The 10% number sounds familiar, thanks for the replies.

          -Mike

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Lepak" <gnjlepak@...> wrote:

          > I don't know what Bolger suggests, but I think the standard figure
          is 10% of
          > the overall length minimum, which is what Jock McLeod reccomended for
          > unstayed junk rigged masts.
          >
          > Gary
        • oarmandt
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
            The most extreme I have noticed is Fast Motorsailer, page 324 in Boats
            with an Open Mind. Bury scales to about 20" for a 19'-11" mast, or
            about 8%. The mast step is on deck and the partners at the top of the
            pilot house. There is a lot of area on that mast too, a 265 square
            foot dipping lug.

            Doug

            > On 9/1/06, dvacanti <mike_vacanti@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I vaugely remember reading somewhere that Phil Bolger had a rule of
            > > thumb for calculating the minimum mast bury for a freestanding mast.
            >
            > I suspect that Bolger just 'eye ball' estimates what looks right.
            >
            > He almost always has the foot of the mast resting at the bottom of the
            > boat and the mast partner as high up as practical, at deck height, and
            > often up at the sheer line, or even higher with recent tendency
            > favoring tabernacles.

          • Joe Tribulato
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
              I had a very short bury in a small scow I designed. It used Bolgers
              59sf LOM sail from Teal. The step was a plug glued and bolted to a
              block on the bottom. A 2-inch pvc tube extends about 8 inches above
              the deck to accept the mast. Sailing on a very brisk day put too mych
              strain on the plug and sheered it from the block, The bolt held it
              somewhat so no major damage occured. The fix was to install a proper
              step which encircled the mast tube and had more glue area and
              fasteners. I was concerned that the short bury would put a heavy load
              on the mast at the partner, hence the tube to try to spread the load.
              The leverage of the sail force against the plug sheered it. The plug
              step and tube worked fine on my Teal but it has about twice the bury.

              Joe T

              In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Lepak" <gnjlepak@...> wrote:

              > I don't know what Bolger suggests, but I think the standard figure
              is 10% of
              > the overall length minimum, which is what Jock McLeod reccomended for
              > unstayed junk rigged masts.
              >
              > Gary

            • ANDREW AIREY
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
                I take it that a tabernacle fastened to the keel and
                the mast fastened to the tabernacle would count as a
                single mast for these purposes - an thinking of
                counterweighted masts for bridge clearance purposes
                Cheers
                Andy Airey

                http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
              • David Davis
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
                  Mast bury when using a tabernacle might be considered to be pivot
                  point to lock pin. Additional support in the tabernacle might be
                  arranged by more pins / crossbars, etc but then lowering / raising the
                  mast would take a bit longer.

                  Bottom support to top support in the tabernacle would be bury.
                  Tabernacle strength would be another ( related) matter.

                  Sharpie