Re: [bolger] Re: Tennessee Article in M.A.I.B.

  • john h wright
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
      Bruce H.

      "He wasn't talking of a trailer for behind an automobile, but rather of
      a trailer for behind a boat! (Phil Bolger, thinking outside the box,
      again!)"

      I don't know about you but I think that is very good idea. I towed a 9'
      dingy behind a 25' sail boat, over a 1,000 miles one summer and it gave
      me hell at times. In steep waves in bays or at sea the boat would surf
      down waves and ram my boat or worse it would land in my cockpit in my
      tiller. It swamped and turned turtle one dark night with my 240 sf main
      up and I could not drop the sail, of course and the dingy was causing so
      much drag the painter (tow rope) was as tight as a guitar string. I
      could only run down wind because the painter had about 500 lb of strain
      on it. I was about 60 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.

      There MUST be a better way to tow a boat. How about a trailer hitch
      mounted on the transom?

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
        On 9/1/06, john h wright <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:
        > I towed a 9' dingy ... it gave me hell at times.

        >How about a trailer hitch mounted on the transom?

        Yes, Bolger specifically mentioned a 'trailer hitch'. No doubt,
        coming from his mind, an ingenious 'trailer hitch'.

        Has anybody else truly taken the time to understand the 3D dynamics of
        the connection of the three pieces of Breakdown Schooner? After a
        couple hours of head scratching, I finally did, and consider it pure
        genius.
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
          > Has anybody else truly taken the time to understand the 3D dynamics of
          > the connection of the three pieces of Breakdown Schooner? After a
          > couple hours of head scratching, I finally did, and consider it pure
          > genius.

          The breakdown schooner is one of my favorite Bolger designs, though
          bigger than my needs. So many of us who build boats have very limited
          build space and the costs of moving a large boat to the water is high
          if you have to have it trucked there. He does find fascinating ways to
          solve boat problems.

          Paul H.
        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
            Which MAIB had the Tennessee article?

            HJ

            Bruce Hallman wrote:
            > On 9/1/06, john h wright <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I towed a 9' dingy ... it gave me hell at times.
            >>

            >> How about a trailer hitch mounted on the transom?
            >>

            > Yes, Bolger specifically mentioned a 'trailer hitch'. No doubt,
            > coming from his mind, an ingenious 'trailer hitch'.
            >
            > Has anybody else truly taken the time to understand the 3D dynamics of
            > the connection of the three pieces of Breakdown Schooner? After a
            > couple hours of head scratching, I finally did, and consider it pure
            > genius.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • eric green
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
              Has there ever been a write-up for Windermere by Mr. Bolger? I look in the
              MIAB index and did not find one. Thanks in advance,

            • baysidewoodenboats
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                Dear Eric,

                I don't know about MAIB, but there is a three page article covering
                Champlain and Windermere in issue #36 of the magazine "Watercraft".
                It is the Nov/Dec 2002 issue.

                Ross Lillistone

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eric green" <ericgreen@...> wrote:

                > Has there ever been a write-up for Windermere by Mr. Bolger? I
                look in the
                > MIAB index and did not find one. Thanks in advance,
                >

                > --
                9/1/2006

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                  On 9/1/06, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
                  > Which MAIB had the Tennessee article?

                  Going from memory, the July 15, 2005 issue.
                • eric green
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                    Thanks Ross. I will see if I can track down this volume.

                    --- In HYPERLINK "mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com"bolger@yahoogroups.-com,
                    "eric green" <ericgreen@.-..> wrote:

                    > Has there ever been a write-up for Windermere by Mr. Bolger? I
                    look in the
                    > MIAB index and did not find one. Thanks in advance,
                    >

                    > --
                    9/1/2006

                    > --

                  • Waldo F. Odonahue
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                      Bolger sent me a copy.

                    • adventures_in_astrophotography
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 3, 2006
                        Hi Bruce,

                        > Going from memory, the July 15, 2005 issue.

                        That's the one. I should know since I just received it a week and a
                        half ago here in CO. Then within 10 days I got the next three issues,
                        including the Sept. 1 issue actually arriving on Sept. 1. Ah, the
                        mysteries of the USPS.

                        I always thought Tennessee would make a great canoe/kayak mothership,
                        or even carry a small sailing dinghy if it had something like a pickup
                        truck's pipe rack.

                        Jon Kolb