Mast Bury

  • dvacanti
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      I vaugely remember reading somewhere that Phil Bolger had a rule of
      thumb for calculating the minimum mast bury for a freestanding mast.
      Does this ring a bell with anyone? Thanks.

      -Mike
    • Gary Lepak
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        I don't know what Bolger suggests, but I think the standard figure is 10% of
        the overall length minimum, which is what Jock McLeod reccomended for
        unstayed junk rigged masts.

        Gary

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
          On 9/1/06, dvacanti <mike_vacanti@...> wrote:

          > I vaugely remember reading somewhere that Phil Bolger had a rule of
          > thumb for calculating the minimum mast bury for a freestanding mast.

          I suspect that Bolger just 'eye ball' estimates what looks right.

          He almost always has the foot of the mast resting at the bottom of the
          boat and the mast partner as high up as practical, at deck height, and
          often up at the sheer line, or even higher with recent tendency
          favoring tabernacles.
        • dvacanti
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
            The 10% number sounds familiar, thanks for the replies.

            -Mike

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Lepak" <gnjlepak@...> wrote:

            > I don't know what Bolger suggests, but I think the standard figure
            is 10% of
            > the overall length minimum, which is what Jock McLeod reccomended for
            > unstayed junk rigged masts.
            >
            > Gary
          • oarmandt
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
              The most extreme I have noticed is Fast Motorsailer, page 324 in Boats
              with an Open Mind. Bury scales to about 20" for a 19'-11" mast, or
              about 8%. The mast step is on deck and the partners at the top of the
              pilot house. There is a lot of area on that mast too, a 265 square
              foot dipping lug.

              Doug

              > On 9/1/06, dvacanti <mike_vacanti@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I vaugely remember reading somewhere that Phil Bolger had a rule of
              > > thumb for calculating the minimum mast bury for a freestanding mast.
              >
              > I suspect that Bolger just 'eye ball' estimates what looks right.
              >
              > He almost always has the foot of the mast resting at the bottom of the
              > boat and the mast partner as high up as practical, at deck height, and
              > often up at the sheer line, or even higher with recent tendency
              > favoring tabernacles.

            • Joe Tribulato
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
                I had a very short bury in a small scow I designed. It used Bolgers
                59sf LOM sail from Teal. The step was a plug glued and bolted to a
                block on the bottom. A 2-inch pvc tube extends about 8 inches above
                the deck to accept the mast. Sailing on a very brisk day put too mych
                strain on the plug and sheered it from the block, The bolt held it
                somewhat so no major damage occured. The fix was to install a proper
                step which encircled the mast tube and had more glue area and
                fasteners. I was concerned that the short bury would put a heavy load
                on the mast at the partner, hence the tube to try to spread the load.
                The leverage of the sail force against the plug sheered it. The plug
                step and tube worked fine on my Teal but it has about twice the bury.

                Joe T

                In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Lepak" <gnjlepak@...> wrote:

                > I don't know what Bolger suggests, but I think the standard figure
                is 10% of
                > the overall length minimum, which is what Jock McLeod reccomended for
                > unstayed junk rigged masts.
                >
                > Gary

              • ANDREW AIREY
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
                  I take it that a tabernacle fastened to the keel and
                  the mast fastened to the tabernacle would count as a
                  single mast for these purposes - an thinking of
                  counterweighted masts for bridge clearance purposes
                  Cheers
                  Andy Airey

                  http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
                • David Davis
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
                    Mast bury when using a tabernacle might be considered to be pivot
                    point to lock pin. Additional support in the tabernacle might be
                    arranged by more pins / crossbars, etc but then lowering / raising the
                    mast would take a bit longer.

                    Bottom support to top support in the tabernacle would be bury.
                    Tabernacle strength would be another ( related) matter.

                    Sharpie