Italian Micro

  • marcoviniciomasoni
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
      Dear all, I am very happy to be the first builder of an Italian micro
      (I know that my friend Pippo had begun one of it, but he then has
      interrupted the job. By the way would I like send you a photo, but how
      cai I send photo in the section "photos"?)
      In a recent e-mail of this forum anybody has written that micro is an
      excellent boat, easy and sure for learn to sail. True. I am 60 years
      old, I have very little experience of sail, but I have built my micro
      and I am learning with him.
      I have only a problem: when the wind is not strongly I am not able to
      veer, I am forced to turn with the wind to the shoulders (you excuse
      but I don't know the English term, in Italian is told "strambare"
      vs " virare( to veer)".
      The boat stays with the bow to the wind and slowly return on the edge
      that I want to leave.
      When the wind is strongly instead there is no problem.
      Could anybody write the steps to follow for veer in a correct way with
      a micro?
      Thank you to all and you excuse my very bad English.(And the
      ripetition of this message)
      Marco Vinicio Masoni
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
        On 9/1/06, marcoviniciomasoni <marcoviniciomasoni@...> wrote:

        >> Dear all, I am very happy to be the first builder of an Italian micro

        Congratulations on the Micro!

        You are asking how to sail a 'Cat Yawl' rig, which has a big main sail
        in the bow and a small mizzen sail in the stern.

        I am guessing that your problem might be coming from the mizzen sail
        grabbing the wind as you try to bring your bow across the wind. I
        suggest you try loosening the mizzen sail sheet so that it does not
        bite the wind as the bow comes around. Sorry, if my English is not
        clear, my Italian is worse!
      • saillips
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "marcoviniciomasoni"
          <marcoviniciomasoni@...> wrote:

          > Dear all, I am very happy to be the first builder of an Italian micro
          Well done, friend!
          I look forward to your pictures.
          David
        • marcoviniciomasoni
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
            Thanks, you can seee some photos on my web site:
            http://www.formazione-studio.it/esp_innovative_detail.php?esp_innovative_ID=50

            > > Dear all, I am very happy to be the first builder of an Italian micro
            > Well done, friend!
            > I look forward to your pictures.
            > David

          • marcoviniciomasoni
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
              Thank you. You can see some photos in my web site, in the section "La
              barca terapeutica" ( the therapeutic boat):

              http://www.formazione-studio.it/esp_innovative_detail.php?
              esp_innovative_ID=50

              Marco
            • Joe Tribulato
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
                Marco

                I had the same problem with my Oldshoe in light wind. My solution was
                to get what speed I could first. Then use the rudder just enough, Not
                too much, not too little. It takes practice. Excess rudder acts as a
                brake and will slow you down. Then if it still would not tack (veer,
                english as well) and I hade some speed left I would reach up and push
                the sail toward the wind. Sometimes it worked. Again, it takes
                practice. The long keel promotes slow tacking. See photos here:

                Peppino Tribulato

                <marcoviniciomasoni@...> wrote:

                > Dear all, I am very happy to be the first builder of an Italian micro
                > (I know that my friend Pippo had begun one of it, but he then has
                > interrupted the job. By the way would I like send you a photo, but how
                > cai I send photo in the section "photos"?)
                > In a recent e-mail of this forum anybody has written that micro is an
                > excellent boat, easy and sure for learn to sail. True. I am 60 years
                > old, I have very little experience of sail, but I have built my micro
                > and I am learning with him.
                > I have only a problem: when the wind is not strongly I am not able to
                > veer, I am forced to turn with the wind to the shoulders (you excuse
                > but I don't know the English term, in Italian is told "strambare"
                > vs " virare( to veer)".
                > The boat stays with the bow to the wind and slowly return on the edge
                > that I want to leave.
                > When the wind is strongly instead there is no problem.
                > Could anybody write the steps to follow for veer in a correct way with
                > a micro?
                > Thank you to all and you excuse my very bad English.(And the
                > ripetition of this message)
                > Marco Vinicio Masoni

              • marcoviniciomasoni
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
                  I posted some photos ( 3 ) of the italian Micro. Now She ( he?) is on
                  Lago Maggiore, north Italy.
                • graeme19121984
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
                    Marco, congratulations on launching your Micro, and on your English
                    which is far better than my Italian. If Google translation of the
                    website has served me properly then am I to understand that your
                    Micro is in some way connected with your therapeutic educational
                    psychology practice? If so I think Mr Bolger would be pleased, as he
                    has made a few designs for youth oriented purposes, and seems to
                    enjoy the task very much. Either way, I am sure that Micro can be
                    therapeutic.

                    The long, shallow, salient keel of Micro does not generate a lot of
                    hydrodynamic lift. That lift is poor at low speed, and in comparison
                    to a fin keel requires a higher speed to generate a certain amount
                    of lift to windward. The centre of the lateral plane of the boat
                    with the salient keel moves appreciably forward as speed increases.
                    This means the distance between the rudder and the effective keel
                    centres is increased thereby giving the rudder greater leverage
                    ability to turn the boat. At least, that is my understanding.

                    You should find that after trying different methods of handling
                    the mainsail, mizzen, and rudder that you will be able to tack ("
                    virare( to veer)"?) at low wind speeds, but sometimes the waves will
                    also stop you. If you have SPACE then you may always reliably change
                    tack by "wearing ship" ("strambare"?? --Bear off or turn away
                    downwind, gybe (( let the wind astern pass from one side to the
                    other)), then head up on the new tack).

                    In very strong wind, under flat out motor power alone, I have found
                    some difficulty also in turning through the eye of the wind. I think
                    there is not enough lee way to generate lift, and cause the keel
                    plane centre to move forward. There remains only a short lever arm
                    between the propellor/rudder and the keel plane centre which cannot
                    overcome the leveraged force of the wind on the high bow topsides.
                    Lowering the mast should help, but I've not tried it. In tight
                    situations it is sometimes best to take a deep breath, be brave, and
                    at the highest speed possible to wear ship. Practice in a safe
                    situation first. The Micro will turn; whereas it may be stopped in
                    turning forwards through the wind, and before regaining steerage way
                    may drift into trouble.

                    Enjoy.

                    Graeme

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Marco Vinicio Masoni <masoni@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Dear all
                    > I 've been in silence for much time, not only to not oppress you
                    with my
                    > English (not even comparable to that of my friend Lord Pippo
                    Bianco), but
                    > also because I had devoted myself to the construction of the Micro.
                    > This is the first Italian Micro , cronologically, I suppose.
                    > I'm building the boat in the country, 30 km from my house, in a
                    farm that
                    > is also a big therapeutic community for addicts. Having worked for
                    many
                    > years in a juvenile jail as psychologist, They offered this space,
                    so,
                    > working, makes to bear any interest for the boats ( and the job)
                    in the

                    <marcoviniciomasoni@...> wrote:

                    > Dear all, I am very happy to be the first builder of an Italian
                    micro
                    > (I know that my friend Pippo had begun one of it, but he then has
                    > interrupted the job. By the way would I like send you a photo, but
                    how
                    > cai I send photo in the section "photos"?)
                    > In a recent e-mail of this forum anybody has written that micro
                    is an
                    > excellent boat, easy and sure for learn to sail. True. I am 60
                    years
                    > old, I have very little experience of sail, but I have built my
                    micro
                    > and I am learning with him.
                    > I have only a problem: when the wind is not strongly I am not
                    able to
                    > veer, I am forced to turn with the wind to the shoulders (you
                    excuse
                    > but I don't know the English term, in Italian is told "strambare"
                    > vs " virare( to veer)".
                    > The boat stays with the bow to the wind and slowly return on the
                    edge
                    > that I want to leave.
                    > When the wind is strongly instead there is no problem.
                    > Could anybody write the steps to follow for veer in a correct way
                    with
                    > a micro?
                    > Thank you to all and you excuse my very bad English.(And the
                    > ripetition of this message)
                    > Marco Vinicio Masoni

                  • John and Kathy Trussell
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
                      I have found that tacking a ketch or yawl is easier if you ease the mizzen sheet just before the boat goes head to wind. I think (though I don't know for certain) that this is because the sheeted mizzen acts like a weather vane and its force can resist the turn of the boat.

                      I will leave the science to someone else; it works for me.

                      JohnT