Re: Micro 15 /19 owners

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, greg marston <freedomseeker25@...>
      wrote:

      > Anyone in the Portland Ore. area sailing or building a Micro 15 or
      Long Micro. I am thinking of building a trailer sailer that could
      be used for extended blue water as well.

      > Greg

      Hi Greg,

      Here is an old post that may be of interest re: bluewater sailing in
      a Micro or Long Micro. I would think that a Long Micro Navigator
      would be my preference compared to a lot of others that often go off-
      shore, for example the West Wight Potter that sailed to Hawaii and
      Alaska.

      I would encourage you to enquire for an update from PCB&F re: a LM
      Navigator. When I last enquired they suggested Colonel Hasler in
      plywood but had no immediate plans to draw either it or a LM Nav.
      Too busy with other things. This was a couple years ago.

      The only things I would like to know re: a LM Nav is how to extend
      the helm into the pilothouse and how large the sails would be.

      Personally, the LM is about the biggest I would like to trailer -
      but not that much different as the regular Micro.

      Nels

      Here is the old post:

      First off let me say i had a hard time translating her accent but
      basically here is what i know.

      The navigator conversion was designed for a fellow that wanted to
      singlehandedly circimnavigate the australian continent, not the
      earth....this is where the lecture began. She carried on about
      legal issues designing a boat and made sure i wasn't up to anything
      too stupid.......very libertarian of her. She said it is a great
      boat for shorter jaunts......specifically nova scotia and the
      caribbean, but not the atlantic. She said what limits the micro the
      most for larger crossings is the hull speed is so low you expose
      yourself more. If i was interested in a bigger trip i should
      consider a LM navigator and said the conversion would be easy enough
      to do and they could do the drawings but no one had asked. She said
      the key to safely cruising in a micro navigator is to rig it to spec
      so you don't have to leave the safety of the pilot house, slow it
      down(i'm guessing this means so it does'nt surf down wind in
      following seas, as in dragging warps or a drogue not sure though i
      just let her keep talking), the bottom needs to be SOLID and heavily
      fastened to counter the pounding, have all the proper floatation
      installed per plans and keep the hatches sealed, have a good
      outboard and navigation equipment and lights. Specifically she
      recommended a 5hp honda 4 stroke which has a small alternator, a
      small solar panel on the cabin roof and LED navigation and interior
      lighting powered by 2 6 volt batteries.
      That about sums it up. Bruce? If you live in CA I think she
      specifically mentioned your boat as being the first navigator
      relatively true to plans almost completed that they know of. She
      said she liked the way it looked but never did like it on paper
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        > That about sums it up. Bruce? If you live in CA I think she
        > specifically mentioned your boat as being the first navigator
        > relatively true to plans almost completed that they know of. She
        > said she liked the way it looked but never did like it on paper

        Yes, I am certainly the builder of the Micro Navigator she mentioned.

        The Micro Navigator works exactly as billed and there are *lots* of
        good things about her.

        Only a very few negative things.
        1) Some extra work if you are trailer sailing, due to setup.
        2) I do not miss giving up a cockpit, except only when I need to do
        the quick reaction 'boat hook' maneuvering when you hit the dock,
        etc...
        3) Running a gauntlet of looky-lou's every time you take her out in
        public. <grin>
      • David
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
          Greg,

          AFIK, there are no Micros or Long Micros in the Portland area. I
          vaguely recall one perhaps in the Seattle area. If you contact
          RiversWest, they can put you in touch with the builder of a Jochem's
          Schooner. Another member built a Light Schooner.

          If you're interested in small boats & boating, you might also want to
          chick out the Western Oregon Messabout Society. Their Yahoo Group
          is "MessaboutW". Good luck.

          David Graybeal
          Portland, OR

          "Moderation in all things, especially moderation"

          **************

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, greg marston <freedomseeker25@...> wrote:

          > Anyone in the Portland Ore. area sailing or building a Micro 15 or
          Long Micro. I am thinking of building a trailer sailer that could be
          used for extended blue water as well.

          > Greg

        • ANDREW AIREY
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
            Has anyone built a 'Colonel Hassler' yet.
            cheers
            Andy Airey

            http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
              On 9/2/06, ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone built a 'Colonel Hassler' yet.
              > cheers
              > Andy Airey

              No. Though I have plans and intend to build one. (My batting average
              for *actually* building every boat I intend to build is a bit low, but
              I take a lot of swings!)
            • graeme19121984
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
                I'd like to see it done. Kinda Jesse Cooper/Sea Bird 86/Micro Nav,
                or, if you like, an AS29'ed AS19 with ballast salient keel for
                increased blue water ability and coral protection, yet able to dry
                out upright (on legs?).

                How about for short tacking having a "non-dipping" dipping lug sail -
                similar to the fast and weatherly New Orleans luggers described by H
                I Chapelle?

                Would PCB&F have to be commissioned now do you think (a group?), or
                if enough asked might they draw it then?

                Graeme