Micro 15 /19 owners

  • greg marston
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      Anyone in the Portland Ore. area sailing or building a Micro 15 or Long Micro. I am thinking of building a trailer sailer that could be used for extended blue water as well.

      Greg

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        On 9/1/06, greg marston <freedomseeker25@...> wrote:

        > Anyone in the Portland Ore. area sailing or building a Micro 15 or Long Micro. I am thinking of building a trailer sailer that could be used for extended blue water as well.
        >
        > Greg

        PB&F are loud and clear that Micro is not a extended blue water boat,
        mostly due to lack of cargo carrying capacity (and slow top hull speed
        from short length).

        The shortest blue water boat design they have is Col. HG Hassler, and
        it relies heavily on a reverse osmotic watermaker to be feasible.
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, greg marston <freedomseeker25@...>
          wrote:

          > Anyone in the Portland Ore. area sailing or building a Micro 15 or
          Long Micro. I am thinking of building a trailer sailer that could
          be used for extended blue water as well.

          > Greg

          Hi Greg,

          Here is an old post that may be of interest re: bluewater sailing in
          a Micro or Long Micro. I would think that a Long Micro Navigator
          would be my preference compared to a lot of others that often go off-
          shore, for example the West Wight Potter that sailed to Hawaii and
          Alaska.

          I would encourage you to enquire for an update from PCB&F re: a LM
          Navigator. When I last enquired they suggested Colonel Hasler in
          plywood but had no immediate plans to draw either it or a LM Nav.
          Too busy with other things. This was a couple years ago.

          The only things I would like to know re: a LM Nav is how to extend
          the helm into the pilothouse and how large the sails would be.

          Personally, the LM is about the biggest I would like to trailer -
          but not that much different as the regular Micro.

          Nels

          Here is the old post:

          First off let me say i had a hard time translating her accent but
          basically here is what i know.

          The navigator conversion was designed for a fellow that wanted to
          singlehandedly circimnavigate the australian continent, not the
          earth....this is where the lecture began. She carried on about
          legal issues designing a boat and made sure i wasn't up to anything
          too stupid.......very libertarian of her. She said it is a great
          boat for shorter jaunts......specifically nova scotia and the
          caribbean, but not the atlantic. She said what limits the micro the
          most for larger crossings is the hull speed is so low you expose
          yourself more. If i was interested in a bigger trip i should
          consider a LM navigator and said the conversion would be easy enough
          to do and they could do the drawings but no one had asked. She said
          the key to safely cruising in a micro navigator is to rig it to spec
          so you don't have to leave the safety of the pilot house, slow it
          down(i'm guessing this means so it does'nt surf down wind in
          following seas, as in dragging warps or a drogue not sure though i
          just let her keep talking), the bottom needs to be SOLID and heavily
          fastened to counter the pounding, have all the proper floatation
          installed per plans and keep the hatches sealed, have a good
          outboard and navigation equipment and lights. Specifically she
          recommended a 5hp honda 4 stroke which has a small alternator, a
          small solar panel on the cabin roof and LED navigation and interior
          lighting powered by 2 6 volt batteries.
          That about sums it up. Bruce? If you live in CA I think she
          specifically mentioned your boat as being the first navigator
          relatively true to plans almost completed that they know of. She
          said she liked the way it looked but never did like it on paper
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
            > That about sums it up. Bruce? If you live in CA I think she
            > specifically mentioned your boat as being the first navigator
            > relatively true to plans almost completed that they know of. She
            > said she liked the way it looked but never did like it on paper

            Yes, I am certainly the builder of the Micro Navigator she mentioned.

            The Micro Navigator works exactly as billed and there are *lots* of
            good things about her.

            Only a very few negative things.
            1) Some extra work if you are trailer sailing, due to setup.
            2) I do not miss giving up a cockpit, except only when I need to do
            the quick reaction 'boat hook' maneuvering when you hit the dock,
            etc...
            3) Running a gauntlet of looky-lou's every time you take her out in
            public. <grin>
          • David
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
              Greg,

              AFIK, there are no Micros or Long Micros in the Portland area. I
              vaguely recall one perhaps in the Seattle area. If you contact
              RiversWest, they can put you in touch with the builder of a Jochem's
              Schooner. Another member built a Light Schooner.

              If you're interested in small boats & boating, you might also want to
              chick out the Western Oregon Messabout Society. Their Yahoo Group
              is "MessaboutW". Good luck.

              David Graybeal
              Portland, OR

              "Moderation in all things, especially moderation"

              **************

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, greg marston <freedomseeker25@...> wrote:

              > Anyone in the Portland Ore. area sailing or building a Micro 15 or
              Long Micro. I am thinking of building a trailer sailer that could be
              used for extended blue water as well.

              > Greg

            • ANDREW AIREY
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
                Has anyone built a 'Colonel Hassler' yet.
                cheers
                Andy Airey

                http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
                  On 9/2/06, ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@...> wrote:

                  > Has anyone built a 'Colonel Hassler' yet.
                  > cheers
                  > Andy Airey

                  No. Though I have plans and intend to build one. (My batting average
                  for *actually* building every boat I intend to build is a bit low, but
                  I take a lot of swings!)
                • graeme19121984
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
                    I'd like to see it done. Kinda Jesse Cooper/Sea Bird 86/Micro Nav,
                    or, if you like, an AS29'ed AS19 with ballast salient keel for
                    increased blue water ability and coral protection, yet able to dry
                    out upright (on legs?).

                    How about for short tacking having a "non-dipping" dipping lug sail -
                    similar to the fast and weatherly New Orleans luggers described by H
                    I Chapelle?

                    Would PCB&F have to be commissioned now do you think (a group?), or
                    if enough asked might they draw it then?

                    Graeme