Re: Becky Thatcher

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
      Pedal power through easy stages to the ring mines of Saturn! Has
      another nautical writer tried that?

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > I have added >
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger_study_plans_only/files/
    • Stuart Crawford
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 3, 2008
        Does any one know how well the human powered stern wheeler Becky Thatcher worked in
        practice?

        Are there any examples of one finished, on the internet?

        Stuart.
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
          On Feb 3, 2008 9:59 PM, Stuart Crawford <stuartcnz@...> wrote:

          > Does any one know how well the human powered stern wheeler Becky Thatcher
          > worked in
          > practice?
          >
          > Are there any examples of one finished, on the internet?
          >
          > Stuart.

          I recall that Paul Everett, the person who commissioned the design,
          did finish her.

          Have you seen my isometric model of the Paddlin' Madeline?

          http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1360743493/in/photostream/
        • Stuart Crawford
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
            On 5/2/08 5:09 AM, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...> wrote:

            > I recall that Paul Everett, the person who commissioned the design,
            > did finish her.
            >
            > Have you seen my isometric model of the Paddlin' Madeline?
            >
            > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/1360743493/in/photostream/

            Did you ever hear how well it went, as designed? It looks like a good
            camping boat for sheltered waters and lakes.

            Your Paddlin┬╣ Madeline pictures look good. Fancy doing some of Becky
            Thatcher and Sitka Explorer?

            Stuart.

          • jamesmaib
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
              Hi Stuart
              I am a new member to the group
              When I started my e-mail sub to MAIB early 2006 there was a 2 part
              article in the "Bolger on Design" section on Becky Thatcher. There was
              a very detailed description of a self feathering paddle wheel. My
              memory is a bit hazy but I seem to remember a 3 day trip in northern
              America which gave an average speed of 3-4 mph.Lots of pics of
              completed craft. As always with human power and a superstructure, there
              were problems with head winds. This seems to have been the same with
              the Escargot. (www.gruene-flotte.de) If I can find the disc with that
              issue I will update you

              Fair winds from Ireland
            • Stuart Crawford
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
                I would appreciate an update if you do find that issue. It sounds like
                similar speeds to rowing a dinghy, which I would consider impressive on a
                boat of that size. and I do understand the issues involved with head winds.
                I think Bolger says something like there is no future going into a head wind
                in anything human powered.

                Stuart.

                On 5/2/08 7:18 AM, "jamesmaib" <jamesmaib@...> wrote:

                > Hi Stuart
                > I am a new member to the group
                > When I started my e-mail sub to MAIB early 2006 there was a 2 part
                > article in the "Bolger on Design" section on Becky Thatcher. There was
                > a very detailed description of a self feathering paddle wheel. My
                > memory is a bit hazy but I seem to remember a 3 day trip in northern
                > America which gave an average speed of 3-4 mph.Lots of pics of
                > completed craft. As always with human power and a superstructure, there
                > were problems with head winds. This seems to have been the same with
                > the Escargot. (www.gruene-flotte.de) If I can find the disc with that
                > issue I will update you
                >
                > Fair winds from Ireland

              • John and Kathy Trussell
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
                  It is no doubt blasphemy, but it seems like a human powered houseboat is a vast complication over a small 4 stroke outboard which would provide much better performance economically...

                  JohnT
                  I would appreciate an update if you do find that issue. It sounds like
                  similar speeds to rowing a dinghy, which I would consider impressive on a
                  boat of that size. and I do understand the issues involved with head winds.
                  I think Bolger says something like there is no future going into a head wind
                  in anything human powered.

                  Stuart.

                  On 5/2/08 7:18 AM, "jamesmaib" <jamesmaib@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Stuart
                  > I am a new member to the group
                  > When I started my e-mail sub to MAIB early 2006 there was a 2 part
                  > article in the "Bolger on Design" section on Becky Thatcher. There was
                  > a very detailed description of a self feathering paddle wheel. My
                  > memory is a bit hazy but I seem to remember a 3 day trip in northern
                  > America which gave an average speed of 3-4 mph.Lots of pics of
                  > completed craft. As always with human power and a superstructure, there
                  > were problems with head winds. This seems to have been the same with
                  > the Escargot. (www.gruene-flotte.de) If I can find the disc with that
                  > issue I will update you
                  >
                  > Fair winds from Ireland

                • Grant MacLaren
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 31, 2009
                    Nels,
                    Do you remember if there were photos
                    in the MAIB mentioned?
                    -=Grant=-

                  • Susanne@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 31, 2009
                      I forgot,
                      follow-up on #669 is in Vol. 23, No. 18 , Feb.1/06, p.29ff.