Re: [bolger] Becky Thatcher again

  • TONY BIRD
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
      Hi,
      I have just joined the group and was thinking of building a boat and Becky Thatcher looks a good idea. We retire next year and it looks a very good project, we live in the UK and have camped on a lot of our holidays. It is only a hours drive to two major canal networks from where we live. Is there any more information other than contained in the article on BT in the group?
      Many thanks Tony Bird.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "TONY BIRD" <Gaynorandtony@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I have just joined the group and was thinking of building a boat and
        Becky Thatcher looks a good idea.

        I suggest you fax Bolger and make an inquirey and be sure to include
        your phone number - even if you are living in the UK - you might get a
        call.

        I think there has been three articles written about BT and it's
        propulsion system. It seems to me to be still in the developmental
        stage, especially the paddle wheel design and drive train. This would
        seem to be a bit of a challenge for a first time builder, although the
        hull itself seems straightforward and very efficient.

        I have often wondered about having an electric golf cart motor
        capability utilized as a back up propulsion system. Solar panels in
        the roof and 2 6 vdc deep cycle batteries.

        Nels
      • TONY BIRD
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
          Hi Nels,
          Many thanks
          Tony.

          > I have just joined the group and was thinking of building a boat and
          Becky Thatcher looks a good idea.

          I suggest you fax Bolger and make an inquirey and be sure to include
          your phone number - even if you are living in the UK - you might get a
          call.

          I think there has been three articles written about BT and it's
          propulsion system. It seems to me to be still in the developmental
          stage, especially the paddle wheel design and drive train. This would
          seem to be a bit of a challenge for a first time builder, although the
          hull itself seems straightforward and very efficient.

          I have often wondered about having an electric golf cart motor
          capability utilized as a back up propulsion system. Solar panels in
          the roof and 2 6 vdc deep cycle batteries.

          Nels

        • Alex Heywood
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
            HI Tony
            I live on the south coast of England, far away from any real canals, having said that I was thinking about what to build
            when I have finished my current build.
            The wife dont like the Idea of sails or progressing along at a angle to the water, so I have been toying with Ideas
            and the Micro Trawler fits the bill . 2 bunks Portapotty in a very short length. buy Boats with a Open Mind
            from Water Craft Magazine, the last edition had a article about Becky Thatcher. Phone 01326 221424
            The micro Trawler will not be hard to build and when you use it progress along the canals will be
            made with little disturbance to the water or canal banks
            Alex----- Original Message -----

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 30, 2006
              Hello Nels

              Actually, the article in Water Craft No.58 mentions that the paddle
              wheel needed modifications after the prototype was built and the
              article indicates that the plans have now been adapted to
              incorporate better reversing, for example. Not suer if this is the
              nature of the development that you mentioned BT needed?

              Bolger & Altenberger state that " the sternwheel's axis had to be
              raised a little and the ineffective reversing was addressed by
              the "Flipping Wheel". The raked blades are retained but are cut
              down to about half of their original protrusion from the drum. Each
              is given a galvanised strap-hinged blade which covers the fixed
              blade and prodrudes beyond it to replace the area removed from the
              fixed blade. When the wheel is thrusting ahead, the hinged blade is
              forced against the fixed blade and acts just as the original blade
              did, in reverse the hinged blade pivots against a stop to assume the
              canted angle to the water that the fixed blade has when going ahead,
              equalising the effort and effective thrust in either direction -
              without carrying water over the wheel in reverse anymore."

              Now...ah! ...yes, well.

              The indications from the Water Craft article are that the plans have
              no problems now! $150 US is the cost, apparently.

              Greg F

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 30, 2006
                On 8/30/06, Greg Flemming <greg@...> wrote:
                >> raised a little and the ineffective reversing was addressed by
                > the "Flipping Wheel".

                Be aware that the printed version of the 'flipping wheel' modification
                I saw was printed upside down. It took 15 minutes of head scratching
                to figure that out! Indeed, the flipping paddle mechanism is one of
                those amazing Bolgerism's that keeps me coming back again and again
                to admire and study his design work.
              • Nels
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 30, 2006
                  > Be aware that the printed version of the 'flipping wheel'
                  modification
                  > I saw was printed upside down.

                  Right way up version is here:

                  Nels