Re: [bolger] Re: Diablo Motor Support

  • Dominic tyson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15, 2006
      You should wish for a 25hp 2 stroke as my Diablo (Sabre) will do 25 kts GPS tested with 2 people on board on an open flat sea, and is a great deal of fun at this speed. There is a small crack in the horizontal strength member that has been there for almost three years the age of the boat. The timber used was celery top pine and built to spec but it may have been a bit green. The transom knee was beefed up to twice spec thickness so I have no concerns about transom failure as the boat has had some toture in the past with no ill effects. It is currently having a sanding ready for some new paint. I believe that my brother has posted some photos in on of the bolger groups.

      dnjost <davidjost@...> wrote: Jon -

      We tried this same experiment with my Diablo. I can get my Diablo to
      plane with it's 9.9 hp Johnson, two cycle. We tried a 4 cycle 10 HP
      Honda and the boat would not get up on plane. The difference in
      weight is considerable, and I think the prop and thrust are way
      different. The Honda is still much quieter.

      I think you are right in beefing up the support and moving to a 15
      hp. I wish I had a 15 hp, it would fly. I will be installing a dry
      well to cut down on the possibility of taking too much water over the
      transom by accident (suggested by Harbormaster).

      I currently can do 15 mph. Timed run.

      Happy Building
      David JOst