Re: Tacking Black Skimmer

  • Will Parkes
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8, 2006
      I know it takes practice in some types of boats to get down the
      basics of tacking. I can certainly vouch for this in A-class
      catamarans and International Canoes. Perhaps it's simply a knack.

      > I brought this up when I read the same section. Somebody else
      countered
      > and I believe Mr Gunderson chimed in. I have communicated with
      other
      > Black Skimmer owners and they have not mentioned it.
      >
      > Maybe the owner of this one will comment after the launch
      >
      > http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html
      >
      > HJ
      >

      > Will Parkes wrote:
      > > In his recent anthology of cruising essays, Sailing Small, Stan
      Grayson
      > > includes an essay by Lance Gunderson that detail's Mr.
      Gunderson's

      subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Chris Crandall
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8, 2006
        I've sailed a Black Skimmer in Florida Bay. No particular problem
        tacking, and my wife was the only "crew" and she has an aversion to be
        involved in sailing, so it was effectively single-handing.

        You don't *have* to deal with the leeboards, drop 'em both, and deal the
        with windward one at your leisure.

        -Chris
      • Christopher Wetherill
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8, 2006
          Will,

          There are a number of threads in the message archive that discuss Black
          Skimmer. At least two of them deal in part with handling.

          V/R
          Chris

          Will Parkes wrote:
          > In his recent anthology of cruising essays, Sailing Small, Stan Grayson
          > includes an essay by Lance Gunderson that detail's Mr. Gunderson's
          > experience with a Black Skimmer named Tashtego. Mr. Gunderson
          > discusses that problems he has with getting the boat through stays.
          > Mait Edey helps him make some changes to the boat that making
          > singlehanding it easier but Mr. Gunderson says that he never
          > successfully tacked the boat singlehanded. Another complaint is that
          > the leeboards are heavy, and need tending with each tack.
          >
          > Has anyone had experience with a Bolger design like this with a cat-
          > yawl rig, and leeboards? Is this an inherent problem?
          >
          > Bill Parkes

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • James Pope
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 12, 2006
            Christopher Wetherill wrote:

            > Will,
            >
            > There are a number of threads in the message archive that discuss Black
            > Skimmer. At least two of them deal in part with handling.
            >
            > Hi Will,
            > I owned a Black Skimmer for a few years and often had to beat my way
            > back up a fairly narrow channel to get to her mooring. I can't recall
            > going into irons during those tacks which were usually short and often
            > didn't allow her to pick up a lot of way on the new tack. As, I think,
            > Phil Bolger advised, I didn't bother to lift the windward board. It
            > usually just wandered out to windward and wasn't a bother. It is
            > unsightly, though.
            >

            > To make the job of lifting them easier, I had a couple of long hooks,
            > somewhat similar to longshoremens hooks with about a two foot shank
            > (without the sharp ends) I had these bent out of S/S rod and they were
            > very helpful in getting the heavy leeboards quickly up into their rests.
            >

            > All the best with your Skimmer,
            >

            > Jim Pope

          • Gavin Atkin
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Parkes" <icusa98@...> wrote:

              > > http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html

              I know I'm not the only one following this one closely!

              I haven't noticed any developments lately: does anyone know what the story is here? Is it
              finished and launched yet?

              On practical level, I'm quite taken by the presses these people use to make their butt joints.
              They look neat, but does anyone know how they get the pressure in the middle the same as
              at the ends - or even whether they bother about the issue? I guess it might not matter...

              Gavin
            • richard laux
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                Gavin,
                I had a concern about the presses used as well. I have seen somewhere ( can`t recollect ) that someone suggested when clamping as they are doing at Nexus that you should put shims in the middle of the press of different thicknesses with the thickest in the middle and thinner as you go toward the ends to get a good bond. This way you get even (or at least close to it) pressure along the length.
                I`m waiting for updates as well on the project as I think this will be the boat that I will build.
                Richard
                Gavin Atkin <gmatkin@...> wrote:
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Parkes" <icusa98@...> wrote:

                > > http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html

                I know I'm not the only one following this one closely!

                I haven't noticed any developments lately: does anyone know what the story is here? Is it
                finished and launched yet?

                On practical level, I'm quite taken by the presses these people use to make their butt joints.
                They look neat, but does anyone know how they get the pressure in the middle the same as
                at the ends - or even whether they bother about the issue? I guess it might not matter...

                Gavin

              • Bob Chamberland
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                  The press members are pretty hefty. As long as the bolts were not
                  drawn down to tightly they would not deform. If they were so tight as
                  to deform the board there would be too much squeeze out. There only
                  needs to be enough pressure to hold the scarf together and that's not
                  much. If one doesn't mind filling a few screw holes one could use a
                  lighter board on top and merely screw it down through the scarf. Also
                  a lighter board on top which was either planed to a slight radius or
                  warped to begin with would do the job. I have done it both ways
                  successfully. It is a challenge to find the patched screw holes or the
                  scarf for that matter unless very sloppily cut.
                  Bob Chamberland

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Atkin" <gmatkin@...> wrote:

                  > ..........> On practical level, I'm quite taken by the presses these
                  people use to make their butt joints.
                  > They look neat, but does anyone know how they get the pressure in
                  the middle the same as
                  > at the ends - or even whether they bother about the issue? I guess
                  it might not matter...

                  > Gavin

                • graeme19121984
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 25, 2006
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Chamberland" <chamberlands@...>
                    wrote:
                    >If they were so tight as
                    > to deform the board there would be too much squeeze out.

                    The Lenihan hollow-ground-no-squeezeout joint may prevent most of
                    this, but assuming they don't use screws, what is the "trick" of the
                    presses they mention that stops the panels slipping along the scarph
                    face under applied pressure?
                  • graeme19121984
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 14, 2007
                      Features in Chapter 3 of Sailing Small, nice pic - linked today from
                      Gavin's blog "Black Skimmer" post http://intheboatshed.net/?p=567
                      Pretty good book if rated " next to L. Francis Herreshoff's The
                      Compleat Cruiser"!

                      http://www.amazon.com/Sailing-Small-Inspiration-Instruction-
                      Cruiser/dp/192886208X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0439741-2989708?
                      ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173928875&sr=1-1

                      http://tinyurl.com/23lweg

                      Devereux Books
                      Sailing Small -- Inspiration and Instruction for the Pocket Cruiser
                      wwwdotdevereuxbooksdotcomslashsailingsmalldothtm
                      Edited By Stan Grayson

                      Book Specifications:
                      Trim Size: 6" x 9"
                      Total Page Count: 200 (192 plus 8-page color insert!)
                      Binding: Soft cover
                      Illustrations: Approximately color/bw 36 photos and drawings
                      Price: $16.95

                      Graeme

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Atkin" <gmatkin@...> wrote:

                      > I know I'm not the only one following this one closely!
                    • Chris Curtis
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 15, 2007

                        FYI, My wife got me this book for X-Mas and I found it to be a very
                        enjoyable book to read.

                        Chris Curtis