Re: Tennessee Article in M.A.I.B.

  • musseler
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
      Photos are in an album called "musselers contributions", ENJOY!
      -dave

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "donschultz8275" <donschultz@...>

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
        On 8/1/06, donschultz8275 <donschultz@...> wrote:

        > The MAIB article also caught my interest.

        Here on the Westcoast, we have to wait weeks to get our MAIB.

        I had to do a double take, reading in that article about Bolger
        working on a design for boat trailer.

        He wasn't talking of a trailer for behind an automobile, but rather of
        a trailer for behind a boat! (Phil Bolger, thinking outside the box,
        again!)

        > I strongly agree w' going to 1/2" on the bottom.

        For what it is worth, as Bolger refers to Topaz as his modern
        Tennessee, he uses two layers of 1/2" plywood for the bottom on Topaz,
        plus another three layers for a shoe. I haven't floated my Topaz yet,
        but I can say that the bottom looks gorgeous.
      • john h wright
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
          Bruce H.

          "He wasn't talking of a trailer for behind an automobile, but rather of
          a trailer for behind a boat! (Phil Bolger, thinking outside the box,
          again!)"

          I don't know about you but I think that is very good idea. I towed a 9'
          dingy behind a 25' sail boat, over a 1,000 miles one summer and it gave
          me hell at times. In steep waves in bays or at sea the boat would surf
          down waves and ram my boat or worse it would land in my cockpit in my
          tiller. It swamped and turned turtle one dark night with my 240 sf main
          up and I could not drop the sail, of course and the dingy was causing so
          much drag the painter (tow rope) was as tight as a guitar string. I
          could only run down wind because the painter had about 500 lb of strain
          on it. I was about 60 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.

          There MUST be a better way to tow a boat. How about a trailer hitch
          mounted on the transom?

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
            On 9/1/06, john h wright <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:
            > I towed a 9' dingy ... it gave me hell at times.

            >How about a trailer hitch mounted on the transom?

            Yes, Bolger specifically mentioned a 'trailer hitch'. No doubt,
            coming from his mind, an ingenious 'trailer hitch'.

            Has anybody else truly taken the time to understand the 3D dynamics of
            the connection of the three pieces of Breakdown Schooner? After a
            couple hours of head scratching, I finally did, and consider it pure
            genius.
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
              > Has anybody else truly taken the time to understand the 3D dynamics of
              > the connection of the three pieces of Breakdown Schooner? After a
              > couple hours of head scratching, I finally did, and consider it pure
              > genius.

              The breakdown schooner is one of my favorite Bolger designs, though
              bigger than my needs. So many of us who build boats have very limited
              build space and the costs of moving a large boat to the water is high
              if you have to have it trucked there. He does find fascinating ways to
              solve boat problems.

              Paul H.
            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                Which MAIB had the Tennessee article?

                HJ

                Bruce Hallman wrote:
                > On 9/1/06, john h wright <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I towed a 9' dingy ... it gave me hell at times.
                >>

                >> How about a trailer hitch mounted on the transom?
                >>

                > Yes, Bolger specifically mentioned a 'trailer hitch'. No doubt,
                > coming from his mind, an ingenious 'trailer hitch'.
                >
                > Has anybody else truly taken the time to understand the 3D dynamics of
                > the connection of the three pieces of Breakdown Schooner? After a
                > couple hours of head scratching, I finally did, and consider it pure
                > genius.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • eric green
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                  Has there ever been a write-up for Windermere by Mr. Bolger? I look in the
                  MIAB index and did not find one. Thanks in advance,

                • baysidewoodenboats
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                    Dear Eric,

                    I don't know about MAIB, but there is a three page article covering
                    Champlain and Windermere in issue #36 of the magazine "Watercraft".
                    It is the Nov/Dec 2002 issue.

                    Ross Lillistone

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eric green" <ericgreen@...> wrote:

                    > Has there ever been a write-up for Windermere by Mr. Bolger? I
                    look in the
                    > MIAB index and did not find one. Thanks in advance,
                    >

                    > --
                    9/1/2006

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                      On 9/1/06, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
                      > Which MAIB had the Tennessee article?

                      Going from memory, the July 15, 2005 issue.
                    • eric green
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                        Thanks Ross. I will see if I can track down this volume.

                        --- In HYPERLINK "mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com"bolger@yahoogroups.-com,
                        "eric green" <ericgreen@.-..> wrote:

                        > Has there ever been a write-up for Windermere by Mr. Bolger? I
                        look in the
                        > MIAB index and did not find one. Thanks in advance,
                        >

                        > --
                        9/1/2006

                        > --

                      • Waldo F. Odonahue
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                          Bolger sent me a copy.

                        • adventures_in_astrophotography
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 3, 2006
                            Hi Bruce,

                            > Going from memory, the July 15, 2005 issue.

                            That's the one. I should know since I just received it a week and a
                            half ago here in CO. Then within 10 days I got the next three issues,
                            including the Sept. 1 issue actually arriving on Sept. 1. Ah, the
                            mysteries of the USPS.

                            I always thought Tennessee would make a great canoe/kayak mothership,
                            or even carry a small sailing dinghy if it had something like a pickup
                            truck's pipe rack.

                            Jon Kolb