Re: June Bug--with outboard?

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
      Sam,

      For June Bug, your outboard idea might not be too crazy. There is that
      nice combing across the front of the rear deck which could be
      reinforced to take the thrust loads, and the rearmost oarlock socket
      is just a short distance forward. I can picture a drop in place motor
      bracket notched to fit over the combing and pinned to drop into the
      oarlock socket and clamped to the stern seat. All this on the port
      side of course since I just never learned to control a tiller with my
      right hand. I guess that is why I'm not a sailor.

      Lewis

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:

      > I'll bet PB was tickled by the whole June Bug
      > controversy.
      > Here is my reservation about June Bug, and my
      > crazy idea. I wanted a tender that could take my 3hp
      > evinrude lightwin outboard. This little motor weighs
      > only 30-odd pounds and is direct drive(no
      > neutral/reverse gears) and can swivel all the way
      > around its clamp for reverse. JB is not designed to
      > take an outboard on the transom. I am considering
      > beefing up the gunwale area above the stern seat, and
      > side mounting the engine. With the plumb sides and
      > flat bottom there ought to be plenty of buoyancy under
      > the chine to support the weight, and at the
      > displacement speeds I am looking for there should not
      > be much of a control problem. It sounds like fun, and
      > I just might do it, too. Sam
      >
      > --- graeme19121984 <graeme19121984@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > What Howard said, Sam. Aparently, June Bug stirred
      > > up a lot of
      > > contention at the time, and especially after the
      > > design was
      > > published in Small Boat Journal. People canceled
      > > their subscription,
      > > I believe, and some said Bolger, or the journal had
      > > lost sight of
      > > what a boat should be, and so on.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Sam Glasscock
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
        Good ideas, Lewis. I believe I would make the coaming
        into a full bulkhead and run the seat back to it to
        make a girder. That ought to give her sufficient
        stiffness for the little bit of thrust I'll be
        employing.

        http://mail.yahoo.com