Re: [bolger] Re: June Bug--with outboard?

  • Sam Glasscock
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
      I'll bet PB was tickled by the whole June Bug
      controversy.
      Here is my reservation about June Bug, and my
      crazy idea. I wanted a tender that could take my 3hp
      evinrude lightwin outboard. This little motor weighs
      only 30-odd pounds and is direct drive(no
      neutral/reverse gears) and can swivel all the way
      around its clamp for reverse. JB is not designed to
      take an outboard on the transom. I am considering
      beefing up the gunwale area above the stern seat, and
      side mounting the engine. With the plumb sides and
      flat bottom there ought to be plenty of buoyancy under
      the chine to support the weight, and at the
      displacement speeds I am looking for there should not
      be much of a control problem. It sounds like fun, and
      I just might do it, too. Sam

      --- graeme19121984 <graeme19121984@...>
      wrote:

      > What Howard said, Sam. Aparently, June Bug stirred
      > up a lot of
      > contention at the time, and especially after the
      > design was
      > published in Small Boat Journal. People canceled
      > their subscription,
      > I believe, and some said Bolger, or the journal had
      > lost sight of
      > what a boat should be, and so on.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
        Sam,

        For June Bug, your outboard idea might not be too crazy. There is that
        nice combing across the front of the rear deck which could be
        reinforced to take the thrust loads, and the rearmost oarlock socket
        is just a short distance forward. I can picture a drop in place motor
        bracket notched to fit over the combing and pinned to drop into the
        oarlock socket and clamped to the stern seat. All this on the port
        side of course since I just never learned to control a tiller with my
        right hand. I guess that is why I'm not a sailor.

        Lewis

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:

        > I'll bet PB was tickled by the whole June Bug
        > controversy.
        > Here is my reservation about June Bug, and my
        > crazy idea. I wanted a tender that could take my 3hp
        > evinrude lightwin outboard. This little motor weighs
        > only 30-odd pounds and is direct drive(no
        > neutral/reverse gears) and can swivel all the way
        > around its clamp for reverse. JB is not designed to
        > take an outboard on the transom. I am considering
        > beefing up the gunwale area above the stern seat, and
        > side mounting the engine. With the plumb sides and
        > flat bottom there ought to be plenty of buoyancy under
        > the chine to support the weight, and at the
        > displacement speeds I am looking for there should not
        > be much of a control problem. It sounds like fun, and
        > I just might do it, too. Sam
        >
        > --- graeme19121984 <graeme19121984@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > What Howard said, Sam. Aparently, June Bug stirred
        > > up a lot of
        > > contention at the time, and especially after the
        > > design was
        > > published in Small Boat Journal. People canceled
        > > their subscription,
        > > I believe, and some said Bolger, or the journal had
        > > lost sight of
        > > what a boat should be, and so on.

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Sam Glasscock
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
          Good ideas, Lewis. I believe I would make the coaming
          into a full bulkhead and run the seat back to it to
          make a girder. That ought to give her sufficient
          stiffness for the little bit of thrust I'll be
          employing.

          http://mail.yahoo.com