Re: June Bug--was Anhinga (or Rubens) by Numbers

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
      What Howard said, Sam. Aparently, June Bug stirred up a lot of
      contention at the time, and especially after the design was
      published in Small Boat Journal. People canceled their subscription,
      I believe, and some said Bolger, or the journal had lost sight of
      what a boat should be, and so on.

      Like Thomas Firth Jones wrote in his essay about appreciating Bolger
      (New Plywood Boats), "...With the instant boats the same esthetic
      sense is operating (as when drawing a traditional boat), but on too
      sophisticated a level for many people to percieve. Bolger is
      something like Picasso: everybody moons about his blue period, but
      most people whine about his later work. They do not see that his eye
      for beauty, better trained than theirs, has gone beyond what they
      are capable of appreciating... The June Bug is exactly the kind of
      instant boat that pulls so many people's chain... (in) 30-Odd Boats
      Bolger defends her against the 'purists', who would compromise her
      utility - her large carrying capacity combined with small overall
      dimensions - for the sake of some preconceived esthetic standard."

      I wasn't being contentious about JB myself, just meant to make a
      side point that she got the *big* fourth century given to her over
      and above a boat, Wish ll, that PCB called "plain ugly", and then
      there was much contention stirred up anyway. ( Now, personally, I
      think I'd contend PCB's opinion on Wish ll. I don't think it is in
      any way particularly ugly, and in many ways is a fine boat
      possessing a number of handy features that make her stand out over
      the comparable Long Micro for instance.)

      As for stretching a Tortoise or Brick: Brick could be stretched, and
      would row faster, though the sides would still be too high for good
      rowing. The Brick take-off, Puddleduck Racer, with the right
      freeboard and length may do. There's a chart at the PD website that
      may give you better ideas as to length and load capacity. Look to
      the bottom of the left side menu for "Other Hull Variations",
      halfway down that page under the heading 'Designing Other Hulls'.
      http://www.pdracer.com/

      If June Bug will fit like a glove, and is PCB recommended, then it
      would be really hard to beat. People that have them say they're
      great.

      Graeme
    • Sam Glasscock
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
        I'll bet PB was tickled by the whole June Bug
        controversy.
        Here is my reservation about June Bug, and my
        crazy idea. I wanted a tender that could take my 3hp
        evinrude lightwin outboard. This little motor weighs
        only 30-odd pounds and is direct drive(no
        neutral/reverse gears) and can swivel all the way
        around its clamp for reverse. JB is not designed to
        take an outboard on the transom. I am considering
        beefing up the gunwale area above the stern seat, and
        side mounting the engine. With the plumb sides and
        flat bottom there ought to be plenty of buoyancy under
        the chine to support the weight, and at the
        displacement speeds I am looking for there should not
        be much of a control problem. It sounds like fun, and
        I just might do it, too. Sam

        --- graeme19121984 <graeme19121984@...>
        wrote:

        > What Howard said, Sam. Aparently, June Bug stirred
        > up a lot of
        > contention at the time, and especially after the
        > design was
        > published in Small Boat Journal. People canceled
        > their subscription,
        > I believe, and some said Bolger, or the journal had
        > lost sight of
        > what a boat should be, and so on.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Lewis E. Gordon
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
          Sam,

          For June Bug, your outboard idea might not be too crazy. There is that
          nice combing across the front of the rear deck which could be
          reinforced to take the thrust loads, and the rearmost oarlock socket
          is just a short distance forward. I can picture a drop in place motor
          bracket notched to fit over the combing and pinned to drop into the
          oarlock socket and clamped to the stern seat. All this on the port
          side of course since I just never learned to control a tiller with my
          right hand. I guess that is why I'm not a sailor.

          Lewis

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:

          > I'll bet PB was tickled by the whole June Bug
          > controversy.
          > Here is my reservation about June Bug, and my
          > crazy idea. I wanted a tender that could take my 3hp
          > evinrude lightwin outboard. This little motor weighs
          > only 30-odd pounds and is direct drive(no
          > neutral/reverse gears) and can swivel all the way
          > around its clamp for reverse. JB is not designed to
          > take an outboard on the transom. I am considering
          > beefing up the gunwale area above the stern seat, and
          > side mounting the engine. With the plumb sides and
          > flat bottom there ought to be plenty of buoyancy under
          > the chine to support the weight, and at the
          > displacement speeds I am looking for there should not
          > be much of a control problem. It sounds like fun, and
          > I just might do it, too. Sam
          >
          > --- graeme19121984 <graeme19121984@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > What Howard said, Sam. Aparently, June Bug stirred
          > > up a lot of
          > > contention at the time, and especially after the
          > > design was
          > > published in Small Boat Journal. People canceled
          > > their subscription,
          > > I believe, and some said Bolger, or the journal had
          > > lost sight of
          > > what a boat should be, and so on.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Sam Glasscock
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
            Good ideas, Lewis. I believe I would make the coaming
            into a full bulkhead and run the seat back to it to
            make a girder. That ought to give her sufficient
            stiffness for the little bit of thrust I'll be
            employing.

            http://mail.yahoo.com