Re: Bolger commisions

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hi Dominic,

      > I wonder if anyone has given up on waiting for commision results and
      > has asked for a refund? It is now at least three years since
      > the "Snow Leopard" design was instigated and with money spent there
      > is still no contact on progress. Lucky we decided to concentrate on
      > building the "Bunny R" Lobster Boat!!

      We're still holding out for Auriga, now well over five years in the
      queue, and like you with money spent up front. We have had no contact
      from PB&F in over 10 months, with two faxes from us during that time
      going unanswered. I plan to write them again at the end of September
      if we don't hear anything by then. We have no contract with PB&F,
      having been told that they don't work to written agreements.
      The "agreement" we have was that all monies were non-refundable once
      work had started, although it was also stated that the job would take
      10-15 months. At this point we don't feel that we have anything to
      gain by bailing out, and we really want the design (it's our retirement
      home), so we're hanging in there. I just hope that by the time we get
      it, I'm still fit enough to build it myself. The fleet of small boats
      I've built (and continue to build) while waiting is good practice, I
      tell myself. Cartoon 40 is a leading candidate for this fall once
      hunting season is over, but I'd rather get started on our cruiser
      instead.

      From what PB&F have told us, the nominal pecking order seems to be #666
      Insolent 60, #667 Shine, #668 Auriga, and after that I have no idea.
      One of their last communications to us, perhaps 18-24 months ago,
      indicated that I60 was 95% complete, and Shine 90%, with no estimate of
      progress given for our Auriga (although they had done some work on
      it). However, as readers of MAIB can see, the design numbers do not
      necessarily have anything to do with what order things gets worked on.
      I believe Becky Thatcher is #669, but appears to have been commissioned
      after the three mentioned above.

      Updates to older designs and new concept studies appear to me to have
      been undertaken and finished in the last five years as well, including
      BWII, Chebacco's raised deck, Captain Rebecca Thatcher, Volunteer's rig
      and outboard upgrade, Alaska Cargo Boat's air-cooled diesel and lug
      rig, the big Proa, and several others I can't recall at the moment. A
      little over four years ago, Susanne told me that they really wanted to
      update the Light Schooner to make it a better camp cruiser, so it
      wouldn't surprise me to see that one get ahead of the other work as
      well. In fact, MAIB is starting to become a negative factor in my
      overall happiness, since whenever a new concept or update appears, it
      means more delay in our commission.

      Given the history above, who's to say that Snow Leopard or Sitka
      Explorer won't be finished next?

      Jon Kolb
    • Susan Davis
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2006
        Jon Kolb:
        > One of their last communications to us, perhaps 18-24 months ago,
        > indicated that I60 was 95% complete, and Shine 90%, with no
        > estimate of progress given for our Auriga (although they had done
        > some work on it).

        When I last heard from Phil and Suzanne 18-24 months ago, they
        indicated that there was still a lot of work remaining on the I60, and
        that it was a very hard problem. I'm still not in a position to begin
        work on mine yet in any event, so the delay isn't such a big deal, but
        I know that David was much more impatient.

        --
        Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
      • dbaldnz
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Dominic tyson <dominictyson@...> wrote:

          > I wonder if anyone has given up on waiting for commision results and
          has asked for a refund? It is now at least three years since the
          "Snow Leopard" design was instigated and with money spent there is
          still no contact on progress. Lucky we decided to concentrate on
          building the "Bunny R" Lobster Boat!!
          Do you mean you have to pay money in advance!
          Wish I could get onto that,
          Don
        • Dominic tyson
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
            Yes we paid around $800 Australian dollars for the design to be started with at least the same to be paid on completion. I am really not too concerned about it as the planking on the Lobster Boat is only days away from completion but there is still plenty of building to do and money to spend before it will be finished!!

            dbaldnz <oink@...> wrote: --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Dominic tyson <dominictyson@...> wrote:

            > I wonder if anyone has given up on waiting for commision results and
            has asked for a refund? It is now at least three years since the
            "Snow Leopard" design was instigated and with money spent there is
            still no contact on progress. Lucky we decided to concentrate on
            building the "Bunny R" Lobster Boat!!
            Do you mean you have to pay money in advance!
            Wish I could get onto that,
            Don

          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
              Y'all are remarkably patient. I know guys who would be asking for an
              update every month. I don't think that a quarterly progress report is
              too much to ask.

              PCB&F is very unbusinesslike, but it is a business, none-the-less, and
              you should be able to treat it like one.
            • derbyrm
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
                Having been a key player in many design projects, I have to chuckle at the phrases "95% complete" and "90% complete." Those were common in our progress reports and were pulled out of thin air based on how fast we were spending the available funds.

                When doing a new design from scratch, one doesn't have any idea what the total design effort is going to be, and I can cite many examples of cases where most of the hardware and software was designed in a straightforward fashion and one seemingly trivial area demanded hundreds of man-hours.

                It would really have helped our subsequent proposal efforts if we'd had a summary generated after a design was complete showing where the effort was expended and how much the design cost when delivered, but that never happened. Marketing didn't want such evidence laying around to hamper their future efforts.

                Roger
                derbyrm@...
                http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                > One of their last communications to us, perhaps 18-24 months ago,
                > indicated that I60 was 95% complete, and Shine 90%, with no
                > estimate of progress given for our Auriga (although they had done
                > some work on it).

                When I last heard from Phil and Suzanne 18-24 months ago, they
                indicated that there was still a lot of work remaining on the I60, and
                that it was a very hard problem. I'm still not in a position to begin
                work on mine yet in any event, so the delay isn't such a big deal, but
                I know that David was much more impatient.

                --
                Susan Davis <futabachan@...>

              • Nels
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
                  <jon@...> wrote:

                  >Susanne told me that they really wanted to
                  update the Light Schooner to make it a better camp cruiser, so it
                  wouldn't surprise me to see that one get ahead of the other work as
                  well. In fact, MAIB is starting to become a negative factor in my
                  overall happiness, since whenever a new concept or update appears, it
                  means more delay in our commission.

                  Given the history above, who's to say that Snow Leopard or Sitka
                  Explorer won't be finished next?

                  Jon Kolb

                  I found this of interest. I was looking at Camper plans and noticed
                  the basic hull is much the same as the LS. So was thinking that an LS
                  with a forward centerboard, instead of a daggerboard, a larger
                  rudder, and the other design features of Camper, like the hard mast
                  strut and fold-dwon masts, applied to the LS hull would make one
                  slippery fast and versatile camp cruiser. And with the Birdwatcher
                  style topsides it would be self-righting as well. Was almost going to
                  fax an enquiry to PCB&F but now I see it would only make things worse
                  for those still waiting for plans already in the works.

                  Very sad really. I wonder if Suesanne's penchant for detail slows
                  down Phil's work more than his advancing years?

                  Nels
                • adventures_in_astrophotography
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
                    Hi Nels,

                    > I found this of interest. I was looking at Camper plans and noticed
                    > the basic hull is much the same as the LS. So was thinking that an LS
                    > with a forward centerboard, instead of a daggerboard, a larger
                    > rudder, and the other design features of Camper, like the hard mast
                    > strut and fold-dwon masts, applied to the LS hull would make one
                    > slippery fast and versatile camp cruiser. And with the Birdwatcher
                    > style topsides it would be self-righting as well. Was almost going to
                    > fax an enquiry to PCB&F but now I see it would only make things worse
                    > for those still waiting for plans already in the works.

                    My recollections are from a phone conversation with Susanne about 3-1/2
                    years ago. I was looking for something simple to build while they were
                    working on our commission that would give us some experience with a two-
                    master on a small scale. The LS was on obvious choice, but I couldn't
                    fit the boat in my garage with the bowsprit. Phil was nice enough to
                    draw the cat schooner rig one evening, which solved that problem and
                    also gave the boat two identical sails, approximating a simpler version
                    of Auriga's rig-to-be.

                    While we were talking about this, she mentioned some eventual
                    improvements to the LS that were to address a scenario where a couple
                    of young campers would sail the boat during the day and camp on board
                    at night. These improvements included a centerboard, twin shallow
                    fixed rudders with endplates, and moving the outboard mount to the
                    transom between the rudders. In addition, the boat was to be given
                    wide side decks with the cockpits boxed in and have several watertight
                    hatches for dry stowage of camping gear. I don't recall any changes to
                    the rig being mentioned, but I don't see how two youngsters could sail
                    that boat without it being reefed down all the time. Susanne did not
                    mention a BW house.

                    I wound up implementing the wide side decks and cockpit construction
                    based on my own interpretation of how this might look, and we're happy
                    with it (except that eight Bomar watertight hatches are quite expensive
                    and I haven't put them in yet in four years since). The wide side
                    decks are great for sitting and sailing, and if she ever goes over, I
                    don't see how she could ship any water in the cockpits. The twin
                    rudder idea was very appealing, but I wasn't about to try that on my
                    own. Moving the motor to the transom is also very appealing, and I
                    think that would be a big improvement over the well and plug design.

                    Having just spent three weekends repairing the daggerboard ("hey, this
                    water looks like it's getting shallow"...wham!), I'd be in favor of a
                    pivoting centerboard as well. I have no idea if PB&F have pursued any
                    of these ideas since then, or if they still plan to.

                    Jon Kolb
                  • oarmandt
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 10, 2006
                      "This got done out of its turn and was taken a good deal further (to study
                      plan instead of just a 'cartoon') than I meant to, because it jelled
                      until I got hooked. I tried this and that--and one suddenly clicked."

                      That is apparently a quote from Mr. Bolger regarding the Micro, from
                      Elrow LaRowe's flyer. (See
                      http://www.boatdesign.com/micro/letters/flyer.htm ) Seems he has
                      some history of working on what inspires him at the time rather than
                      the next commission in line. If the boss lets me be, I do the same
                      myself. If your design is slow in coming, it is not yet an inspired
                      Bolger classic.

                      Doug

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 11, 2006
                        > "This got done out of its turn and was taken a good deal further (to study
                        > plan instead of just a 'cartoon') than I meant to, because it jelled
                        > until I got hooked. I tried this and that--and one suddenly clicked."
                        >
                        > That is apparently a quote from Mr. Bolger regarding the Micro, from
                        > Elrow LaRowe's flyer. (See
                        > http://www.boatdesign.com/micro/letters/flyer.htm ) Seems he has
                        > some history of working on what inspires him at the time rather than
                        > the next commission in line. If the boss lets me be, I do the same
                        > myself. If your design is slow in coming, it is not yet an inspired
                        > Bolger classic.
                        >
                        > Doug

                        Thanks Doug, you describe perfectly what I think all of us love about
                        Bolger boats, that they are often a work of inspiration.