Re: Bolger commisions

  • oarmandt
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2006
      No word lately on Wandervogel either, just the cryptic mentions of the
      design work backlog that show up in MAIB from time to time.
      Wandervogel is a 23' water ballasted trailerable cruiser with chinese
      gaff rig and birdwatcher cabin. A photo of my model is on the title
      page of the Bolger 3 group.

      I am not so sure that Wandervogel counts as a "commissioned" design.
      It was initiated more as a stock plan for which I was the sponsor. I
      think that PB&F were anxious to have something more reflective of
      their current ideas than the Martha Jane which meets a similar mission.

      Doug

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "donschultz8275" <donschultz@...> wrote:

      > Reading in MAIB about Tenn' there was mention of a square stern
      > Topaz "eventually". This brought to mind there is some number of
      > commissioned designs pending for members of this group.
      >
      > Any word on Ataraxia, Sitka Explorer, or others?

    • donschultz8275
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2006
        Bruce,

        Looking fwd to the launch of your Spyder version of Topaz.

        I guess I understood a square stern Topaz to maintain greater beam to
        the stern thus having more planing area. That is implied in the MAIB
        Tennesee article.

        My original post was to ask if anybody is seeing completion of their
        commissions.

        Don Schultz
      • Dominic tyson
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2006
          I wonder if anyone has given up on waiting for commision results and has asked for a refund? It is now at least three years since the "Snow Leopard" design was instigated and with money spent there is still no contact on progress. Lucky we decided to concentrate on building the "Bunny R" Lobster Boat!!

          donschultz8275 <donschultz@...> wrote: Bruce,

          Looking fwd to the launch of your Spyder version of Topaz.

          I guess I understood a square stern Topaz to maintain greater beam to
          the stern thus having more planing area. That is implied in the MAIB
          Tennesee article.

          My original post was to ask if anybody is seeing completion of their
          commissions.

          Don Schultz

        • adventures_in_astrophotography
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2006
            Hi Dominic,

            > I wonder if anyone has given up on waiting for commision results and
            > has asked for a refund? It is now at least three years since
            > the "Snow Leopard" design was instigated and with money spent there
            > is still no contact on progress. Lucky we decided to concentrate on
            > building the "Bunny R" Lobster Boat!!

            We're still holding out for Auriga, now well over five years in the
            queue, and like you with money spent up front. We have had no contact
            from PB&F in over 10 months, with two faxes from us during that time
            going unanswered. I plan to write them again at the end of September
            if we don't hear anything by then. We have no contract with PB&F,
            having been told that they don't work to written agreements.
            The "agreement" we have was that all monies were non-refundable once
            work had started, although it was also stated that the job would take
            10-15 months. At this point we don't feel that we have anything to
            gain by bailing out, and we really want the design (it's our retirement
            home), so we're hanging in there. I just hope that by the time we get
            it, I'm still fit enough to build it myself. The fleet of small boats
            I've built (and continue to build) while waiting is good practice, I
            tell myself. Cartoon 40 is a leading candidate for this fall once
            hunting season is over, but I'd rather get started on our cruiser
            instead.

            From what PB&F have told us, the nominal pecking order seems to be #666
            Insolent 60, #667 Shine, #668 Auriga, and after that I have no idea.
            One of their last communications to us, perhaps 18-24 months ago,
            indicated that I60 was 95% complete, and Shine 90%, with no estimate of
            progress given for our Auriga (although they had done some work on
            it). However, as readers of MAIB can see, the design numbers do not
            necessarily have anything to do with what order things gets worked on.
            I believe Becky Thatcher is #669, but appears to have been commissioned
            after the three mentioned above.

            Updates to older designs and new concept studies appear to me to have
            been undertaken and finished in the last five years as well, including
            BWII, Chebacco's raised deck, Captain Rebecca Thatcher, Volunteer's rig
            and outboard upgrade, Alaska Cargo Boat's air-cooled diesel and lug
            rig, the big Proa, and several others I can't recall at the moment. A
            little over four years ago, Susanne told me that they really wanted to
            update the Light Schooner to make it a better camp cruiser, so it
            wouldn't surprise me to see that one get ahead of the other work as
            well. In fact, MAIB is starting to become a negative factor in my
            overall happiness, since whenever a new concept or update appears, it
            means more delay in our commission.

            Given the history above, who's to say that Snow Leopard or Sitka
            Explorer won't be finished next?

            Jon Kolb
          • Susan Davis
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2006
              Jon Kolb:
              > One of their last communications to us, perhaps 18-24 months ago,
              > indicated that I60 was 95% complete, and Shine 90%, with no
              > estimate of progress given for our Auriga (although they had done
              > some work on it).

              When I last heard from Phil and Suzanne 18-24 months ago, they
              indicated that there was still a lot of work remaining on the I60, and
              that it was a very hard problem. I'm still not in a position to begin
              work on mine yet in any event, so the delay isn't such a big deal, but
              I know that David was much more impatient.

              --
              Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
            • dbaldnz
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Dominic tyson <dominictyson@...> wrote:

                > I wonder if anyone has given up on waiting for commision results and
                has asked for a refund? It is now at least three years since the
                "Snow Leopard" design was instigated and with money spent there is
                still no contact on progress. Lucky we decided to concentrate on
                building the "Bunny R" Lobster Boat!!
                Do you mean you have to pay money in advance!
                Wish I could get onto that,
                Don
              • Dominic tyson
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Yes we paid around $800 Australian dollars for the design to be started with at least the same to be paid on completion. I am really not too concerned about it as the planking on the Lobster Boat is only days away from completion but there is still plenty of building to do and money to spend before it will be finished!!

                  dbaldnz <oink@...> wrote: --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Dominic tyson <dominictyson@...> wrote:

                  > I wonder if anyone has given up on waiting for commision results and
                  has asked for a refund? It is now at least three years since the
                  "Snow Leopard" design was instigated and with money spent there is
                  still no contact on progress. Lucky we decided to concentrate on
                  building the "Bunny R" Lobster Boat!!
                  Do you mean you have to pay money in advance!
                  Wish I could get onto that,
                  Don

                • pvanderwaart
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Y'all are remarkably patient. I know guys who would be asking for an
                    update every month. I don't think that a quarterly progress report is
                    too much to ask.

                    PCB&F is very unbusinesslike, but it is a business, none-the-less, and
                    you should be able to treat it like one.
                  • derbyrm
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Having been a key player in many design projects, I have to chuckle at the phrases "95% complete" and "90% complete." Those were common in our progress reports and were pulled out of thin air based on how fast we were spending the available funds.

                      When doing a new design from scratch, one doesn't have any idea what the total design effort is going to be, and I can cite many examples of cases where most of the hardware and software was designed in a straightforward fashion and one seemingly trivial area demanded hundreds of man-hours.

                      It would really have helped our subsequent proposal efforts if we'd had a summary generated after a design was complete showing where the effort was expended and how much the design cost when delivered, but that never happened. Marketing didn't want such evidence laying around to hamper their future efforts.

                      Roger
                      derbyrm@...
                      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                      > One of their last communications to us, perhaps 18-24 months ago,
                      > indicated that I60 was 95% complete, and Shine 90%, with no
                      > estimate of progress given for our Auriga (although they had done
                      > some work on it).

                      When I last heard from Phil and Suzanne 18-24 months ago, they
                      indicated that there was still a lot of work remaining on the I60, and
                      that it was a very hard problem. I'm still not in a position to begin
                      work on mine yet in any event, so the delay isn't such a big deal, but
                      I know that David was much more impatient.

                      --
                      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>

                    • Nels
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 8, 2006
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
                        <jon@...> wrote:

                        >Susanne told me that they really wanted to
                        update the Light Schooner to make it a better camp cruiser, so it
                        wouldn't surprise me to see that one get ahead of the other work as
                        well. In fact, MAIB is starting to become a negative factor in my
                        overall happiness, since whenever a new concept or update appears, it
                        means more delay in our commission.

                        Given the history above, who's to say that Snow Leopard or Sitka
                        Explorer won't be finished next?

                        Jon Kolb

                        I found this of interest. I was looking at Camper plans and noticed
                        the basic hull is much the same as the LS. So was thinking that an LS
                        with a forward centerboard, instead of a daggerboard, a larger
                        rudder, and the other design features of Camper, like the hard mast
                        strut and fold-dwon masts, applied to the LS hull would make one
                        slippery fast and versatile camp cruiser. And with the Birdwatcher
                        style topsides it would be self-righting as well. Was almost going to
                        fax an enquiry to PCB&F but now I see it would only make things worse
                        for those still waiting for plans already in the works.

                        Very sad really. I wonder if Suesanne's penchant for detail slows
                        down Phil's work more than his advancing years?

                        Nels
                      • adventures_in_astrophotography
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
                          Hi Nels,

                          > I found this of interest. I was looking at Camper plans and noticed
                          > the basic hull is much the same as the LS. So was thinking that an LS
                          > with a forward centerboard, instead of a daggerboard, a larger
                          > rudder, and the other design features of Camper, like the hard mast
                          > strut and fold-dwon masts, applied to the LS hull would make one
                          > slippery fast and versatile camp cruiser. And with the Birdwatcher
                          > style topsides it would be self-righting as well. Was almost going to
                          > fax an enquiry to PCB&F but now I see it would only make things worse
                          > for those still waiting for plans already in the works.

                          My recollections are from a phone conversation with Susanne about 3-1/2
                          years ago. I was looking for something simple to build while they were
                          working on our commission that would give us some experience with a two-
                          master on a small scale. The LS was on obvious choice, but I couldn't
                          fit the boat in my garage with the bowsprit. Phil was nice enough to
                          draw the cat schooner rig one evening, which solved that problem and
                          also gave the boat two identical sails, approximating a simpler version
                          of Auriga's rig-to-be.

                          While we were talking about this, she mentioned some eventual
                          improvements to the LS that were to address a scenario where a couple
                          of young campers would sail the boat during the day and camp on board
                          at night. These improvements included a centerboard, twin shallow
                          fixed rudders with endplates, and moving the outboard mount to the
                          transom between the rudders. In addition, the boat was to be given
                          wide side decks with the cockpits boxed in and have several watertight
                          hatches for dry stowage of camping gear. I don't recall any changes to
                          the rig being mentioned, but I don't see how two youngsters could sail
                          that boat without it being reefed down all the time. Susanne did not
                          mention a BW house.

                          I wound up implementing the wide side decks and cockpit construction
                          based on my own interpretation of how this might look, and we're happy
                          with it (except that eight Bomar watertight hatches are quite expensive
                          and I haven't put them in yet in four years since). The wide side
                          decks are great for sitting and sailing, and if she ever goes over, I
                          don't see how she could ship any water in the cockpits. The twin
                          rudder idea was very appealing, but I wasn't about to try that on my
                          own. Moving the motor to the transom is also very appealing, and I
                          think that would be a big improvement over the well and plug design.

                          Having just spent three weekends repairing the daggerboard ("hey, this
                          water looks like it's getting shallow"...wham!), I'd be in favor of a
                          pivoting centerboard as well. I have no idea if PB&F have pursued any
                          of these ideas since then, or if they still plan to.

                          Jon Kolb
                        • oarmandt
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 10, 2006
                            "This got done out of its turn and was taken a good deal further (to study
                            plan instead of just a 'cartoon') than I meant to, because it jelled
                            until I got hooked. I tried this and that--and one suddenly clicked."

                            That is apparently a quote from Mr. Bolger regarding the Micro, from
                            Elrow LaRowe's flyer. (See
                            http://www.boatdesign.com/micro/letters/flyer.htm ) Seems he has
                            some history of working on what inspires him at the time rather than
                            the next commission in line. If the boss lets me be, I do the same
                            myself. If your design is slow in coming, it is not yet an inspired
                            Bolger classic.

                            Doug

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 11, 2006
                              > "This got done out of its turn and was taken a good deal further (to study
                              > plan instead of just a 'cartoon') than I meant to, because it jelled
                              > until I got hooked. I tried this and that--and one suddenly clicked."
                              >
                              > That is apparently a quote from Mr. Bolger regarding the Micro, from
                              > Elrow LaRowe's flyer. (See
                              > http://www.boatdesign.com/micro/letters/flyer.htm ) Seems he has
                              > some history of working on what inspires him at the time rather than
                              > the next commission in line. If the boss lets me be, I do the same
                              > myself. If your design is slow in coming, it is not yet an inspired
                              > Bolger classic.
                              >
                              > Doug

                              Thanks Doug, you describe perfectly what I think all of us love about
                              Bolger boats, that they are often a work of inspiration.