Mast musings

  • g_habas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Had the pleasure of spending this weekend at a friend's lake home near
      Rhinelander Wisconsin, in the heart of the Nicolet National Forest. He
      has about ten acres that could potentially be covered with ship/boat
      masts. The trees there are truely spectacular- straight as an arrow,
      saplings to 24" in diameter at the base, and upwards of 50 feet tall.
      The species are as mixed- red and white oak, red and white pine,
      hemlock, spruce, and red maple. My thoughts turned to my eventual need
      for a mast for the 18 foot catboat I'm building. Ruling out the
      deciduous due to their weight, of the conifers, I'm sure that spruce
      would be most suitible for a solid mast 7" diameter at the base, 2 1/2"
      at the top, and 22' long. Which would be a second choice if a spuce
      cannot be found- white pine??

      As to preparation-- should some/all of the sapwood be removed, or can
      it be left in place? Next, what can be done to ensure that minimal end-
      checking occurs. Finally, and worst of all, is bending/warping during
      drying out a concern, and what if anything can be done to prevent it?
      Obviously, solid masts were the norm before modern adhesives-- What was
      done to minimize these deformities?