Re: Latex Porch paint over one part epoxy paint

  • Rob Mouradian
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31 1:04 PM
      Rhett,

      I expect you are already aware, but that paint dust that you
      mentioned might contain some fairly hazardous components that are
      added to keep growth off. Be careful about breathing it. If it
      contains lead or some other metals it is especially hazardous to kids.

      I have been told that taking those ablative paints off can be tough
      just because they are so thick, but I would agree that you cannot
      paint over it with latex.

      Rob

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ravenouspi" <ravenous@...> wrote:

      > I am considering painting over some type of one part epoxy bottom
      > paint with a good quality (Behr) latex exterior porch and deck
      paint.

      > The current bottom paint is thick and chalky in texture. A little
      bit
      > of repair work and spot sanding shows the paint sands off really
      > easily making big clouds of paint dust. On the other hand it holds
      > up really well to abrasion from beaching and trailering. I'd rather
      > paint over existing paint (supposedly this paint adheres well to any
      > type of previously painted surface), rather than sanding off all the
      > old paint and then having to prime over the epoxy before painting.
      Of