Tennessee Article in M.A.I.B.

  • musseler
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 28, 2006
      I have held on to plans purchased several years ago for the Tennessee,
      and after reading Bolger's article about its fuel efficiency, I moved
      10 sheets of 3/8 plywood into my shop today. I guess I'll go with
      1/2" ply for the bottom, since I already have 4 sheets of it. You may
      have some comments on the cabin configuration I've chosen, since it
      is "up" like the Aussies do it. To see what I have in mind, I will
      upload the picture of an 8 foot model I built, and sailed with my cat
      in it, to photos section. I also added a link to my personal website
      to the links section today. It is called "Blue Heron's Nest", and I
      wish you guys would check out the "Virtual Voyager" section of it and
      give me some feedback. Just pick your favorite waterway that the
      towboats use, they are all there, mile-by-mile, including the Gulf
      Intracoastal Waterway......enjoy!

      Musseler
    • donschultz8275
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        Wish you the best with the Tenn' project. Post photos please.

        The MAIB article also caught my interest. A few months ago I was
        thinking I'd build a camp/cruiser, but a romantic interest has changed
        my direction. I'm now thinking more of a picnic boat or gentleman's
        speed boat, thus perhaps a Hawkeye w/o a cabin but multiple bimini
        style shades, or an Idaho w/o the cabin, but the biminis and some nice
        bright finished decking. A Tenn' w/o the cuddy cabin or perhaps a
        wide slot like Michalak's AF-4 may also fill the bill and have more
        beam, and room/capacity.

        I strongly agree w' going to 1/2" on the bottom.

        Don Schultz
      • musseler
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
          Photos are in an album called "musselers contributions", ENJOY!
          -dave

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "donschultz8275" <donschultz@...>

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
            On 8/1/06, donschultz8275 <donschultz@...> wrote:

            > The MAIB article also caught my interest.

            Here on the Westcoast, we have to wait weeks to get our MAIB.

            I had to do a double take, reading in that article about Bolger
            working on a design for boat trailer.

            He wasn't talking of a trailer for behind an automobile, but rather of
            a trailer for behind a boat! (Phil Bolger, thinking outside the box,
            again!)

            > I strongly agree w' going to 1/2" on the bottom.

            For what it is worth, as Bolger refers to Topaz as his modern
            Tennessee, he uses two layers of 1/2" plywood for the bottom on Topaz,
            plus another three layers for a shoe. I haven't floated my Topaz yet,
            but I can say that the bottom looks gorgeous.
          • john h wright
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
              Bruce H.

              "He wasn't talking of a trailer for behind an automobile, but rather of
              a trailer for behind a boat! (Phil Bolger, thinking outside the box,
              again!)"

              I don't know about you but I think that is very good idea. I towed a 9'
              dingy behind a 25' sail boat, over a 1,000 miles one summer and it gave
              me hell at times. In steep waves in bays or at sea the boat would surf
              down waves and ram my boat or worse it would land in my cockpit in my
              tiller. It swamped and turned turtle one dark night with my 240 sf main
              up and I could not drop the sail, of course and the dingy was causing so
              much drag the painter (tow rope) was as tight as a guitar string. I
              could only run down wind because the painter had about 500 lb of strain
              on it. I was about 60 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.

              There MUST be a better way to tow a boat. How about a trailer hitch
              mounted on the transom?

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                On 9/1/06, john h wright <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:
                > I towed a 9' dingy ... it gave me hell at times.

                >How about a trailer hitch mounted on the transom?

                Yes, Bolger specifically mentioned a 'trailer hitch'. No doubt,
                coming from his mind, an ingenious 'trailer hitch'.

                Has anybody else truly taken the time to understand the 3D dynamics of
                the connection of the three pieces of Breakdown Schooner? After a
                couple hours of head scratching, I finally did, and consider it pure
                genius.
              • Paul
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                  > Has anybody else truly taken the time to understand the 3D dynamics of
                  > the connection of the three pieces of Breakdown Schooner? After a
                  > couple hours of head scratching, I finally did, and consider it pure
                  > genius.

                  The breakdown schooner is one of my favorite Bolger designs, though
                  bigger than my needs. So many of us who build boats have very limited
                  build space and the costs of moving a large boat to the water is high
                  if you have to have it trucked there. He does find fascinating ways to
                  solve boat problems.

                  Paul H.
                • Harry James
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                    Which MAIB had the Tennessee article?

                    HJ

                    Bruce Hallman wrote:
                    > On 9/1/06, john h wright <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> I towed a 9' dingy ... it gave me hell at times.
                    >>

                    >> How about a trailer hitch mounted on the transom?
                    >>

                    > Yes, Bolger specifically mentioned a 'trailer hitch'. No doubt,
                    > coming from his mind, an ingenious 'trailer hitch'.
                    >
                    > Has anybody else truly taken the time to understand the 3D dynamics of
                    > the connection of the three pieces of Breakdown Schooner? After a
                    > couple hours of head scratching, I finally did, and consider it pure
                    > genius.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • eric green
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                      Has there ever been a write-up for Windermere by Mr. Bolger? I look in the
                      MIAB index and did not find one. Thanks in advance,

                    • baysidewoodenboats
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                        Dear Eric,

                        I don't know about MAIB, but there is a three page article covering
                        Champlain and Windermere in issue #36 of the magazine "Watercraft".
                        It is the Nov/Dec 2002 issue.

                        Ross Lillistone

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "eric green" <ericgreen@...> wrote:

                        > Has there ever been a write-up for Windermere by Mr. Bolger? I
                        look in the
                        > MIAB index and did not find one. Thanks in advance,
                        >

                        > --
                        9/1/2006

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                          On 9/1/06, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
                          > Which MAIB had the Tennessee article?

                          Going from memory, the July 15, 2005 issue.
                        • eric green
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                            Thanks Ross. I will see if I can track down this volume.

                            --- In HYPERLINK "mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com"bolger@yahoogroups.-com,
                            "eric green" <ericgreen@.-..> wrote:

                            > Has there ever been a write-up for Windermere by Mr. Bolger? I
                            look in the
                            > MIAB index and did not find one. Thanks in advance,
                            >

                            > --
                            9/1/2006

                            > --

                          • Waldo F. Odonahue
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 1, 2006
                              Bolger sent me a copy.

                            • adventures_in_astrophotography
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 3, 2006
                                Hi Bruce,

                                > Going from memory, the July 15, 2005 issue.

                                That's the one. I should know since I just received it a week and a
                                half ago here in CO. Then within 10 days I got the next three issues,
                                including the Sept. 1 issue actually arriving on Sept. 1. Ah, the
                                mysteries of the USPS.

                                I always thought Tennessee would make a great canoe/kayak mothership,
                                or even carry a small sailing dinghy if it had something like a pickup
                                truck's pipe rack.

                                Jon Kolb