Re: BIRTHING ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!! AS-39 LE CABOTIN

  • David
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
      Absolutely, blindingly awe-inspiring. Kudos to all involved - esp. the
      prooud progenitors. I shall hoist a Full Sail Ale forthwith in honor
      of the launching.

      Prosit,
      David Graybeal
      Portland, OR.

      "The brave man carves out his fortune, and every man is the son of his
      own works" -- Cervantes

      ************

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

      > Bolgerdos,
      >
      > It is with great and sober pleasure that I wish to pass on the
      > wonderful good news that LE CABOTIN (AS-39) owned and built by Jean and
      > Gaby has been launched!!!
      > Photos of the event may be seen here listed under Le Cabotin:

      > She arrived at the same boat yard where I am late last Tuesday
      > and after a hectic week of last minute details was launched this Tuesday
      >
      > Will write more later...a bit pressed for time :-D
      >

      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Peter Lenihan......

    • GarthAB
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
        SWEEEEEEEET!

        Peter -- do you have an e-mail address for Jean and Gaby where we
        Bolger-worshippers can e-mail our congratulations?

        I remember meeting them at the 2003 Kingston Messabout, and even back
        then it seemed like they had been slaving and sacrificing for quite
        some time to make this boat happen. What a dream made true by persistence.

        Also, when you have time, maybe you can remind us all of their
        cruising plans. I only half-remember them, but seem to recall they
        include going up the Labrador coast, and across the north Atlantic,
        then . . . the canals of Europe, or am I imagining that part?

        Whatever they are, I am wildly envious!

        Garth
      • Mike Stockstill
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
          love the color!

          On Jul 28, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Peter Lenihan wrote:

          > Bolgerdos,
          >
          > It is with great and sober pleasure that I wish to pass on the
          > wonderful good news that LE CABOTIN (AS-39) owned and built by Jean
          > and
          > Gaby has been launched!!!
          > Photos of the event may be seen here listed under Le Cabotin:

          > She arrived at the same boat yard where I am late last Tuesday
          > and after a hectic week of last minute details was launched this
          > Tuesday
          >
          > Will write more later...a bit pressed for time :-D
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Peter Lenihan......

          Mike Stockstill
          mkstocks@...
          http://mkstocks.tripod.com/

        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
            >> Wow, that is a major Bolger boat! What a cause for celebration. I
            am
            > very impressed!

            Wait until you see the cozy interior Bruce :-) Both Jean and Gaby have
            set themselves up for some easy gracefull living aboard!
          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

              > SWEEEEEEEET!
              >
              > Peter -- do you have an e-mail address for Jean and Gaby where we
              > Bolger-worshippers can e-mail our congratulations?
              >
              > I remember meeting them at the 2003 Kingston Messabout, and even
              back
              > then it seemed like they had been slaving and sacrificing for quite
              > some time to make this boat happen. What a dream made true by
              persistence.

              > Also, when you have time, maybe you can remind us all of their
              > cruising plans. I only half-remember them, but seem to recall they
              > include going up the Labrador coast, and across the north Atlantic,
              > then . . . the canals of Europe, or am I imagining that part?
              >
              > Whatever they are, I am wildly envious!
              >
              > Garth

              Hi Garth,

              As for their e-mail address.....hmmmm....if they get a chance to
              be near a computer and bother to check you might want to try:
              lecabotin@...

              They now have a few weeks worth of finishing off the many small
              and not so small details to make her complete.Some of the small
              details are the toe rails and a bigger detail is a cockpit arch to
              support the solar panels,windvane/generator.Of course the entire
              rigging has to be worked out and installed.Then come the"sea trials"
              and sailing lessons.......

              Well Garth, I guess you didn't get too drunk at the messabout
              since your recollection of their intended route is as you recall :-)
              The only part not too clear is the time line as they now have simply
              all the time in the world :-D

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan

            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mike Stockstill <mkstocks@...> wrote:

                > love the color!

                Hi Mike,

                When she first arrived at the boat yard, opinions varied up and
                down the scale about the colour scheme. Admittedly, even myself,
                despite my craziness, wasn't sure how to take it.Over the coarse of
                these past two weeks however, the colour has grown on me most
                favourably and now strikes me as a happy reflection of the owners
                own characters and,dare I say it....sunny dispostion :-)
                She sure looks very happy in the water and draws happy smiles
                from all who have seen here.

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan,"communications officer" for the good ship Le Cabotin
                while her owner/builders slave away with the details :-)
              • graeme19121984
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 30, 2006
                  Yellow is the colour of ANÉMONE
                  Now on the water, an AS 39
                  Now on the water, and afloat
                  That's the time, that's the time
                  It is the best...

                  (Sung to the tune of COLOURS, by Donovan (D. Leitch)
                  Pye 7N 15866
                  http://home.hetnet.nl/~kjoe65/LYRICS/1965/6506260816.html
                  http://home.hetnet.nl/mr_4/225/kjoe65/#1

                  WOW!! Three cheers.

                  Graeme
                • adventures_in_astrophotography
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31, 2006
                    Hi Peter,

                    > It is with great and sober pleasure that I wish to pass on the
                    > wonderful good news that LE CABOTIN (AS-39) owned and built by Jean
                    > and Gaby has been launched!!!

                    WOW! I can't imagine the feeling on completing such a large and
                    obviously finely constructed vessel. I will toast Le Cabotin from high
                    in the Rockies tonight!

                    Jon Kolb
                  • Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
                      <jon@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Peter,
                      > WOW! I can't imagine the feeling on completing such a large and
                      > obviously finely constructed vessel. I will toast Le Cabotin from
                      high
                      > in the Rockies tonight!
                      >
                      > Jon Kolb

                      Hi Jon,

                      Indeed,it surely must be something else to experience the
                      realization of such a grand project! I suspect both Jean and Gaby
                      are still high as kites with their new home afloat!

                      I have great admiration for them both in their tenacity and
                      rigorus focus on their dream. It is one thing to want to build a
                      boat and an order of magnitude greater to actually put saw to
                      wood,especially with such a substantial project. Things are further
                      hightened when one reflects on the fact they originaly began with
                      the basic AS-39"LOOSE MOOSE" plan,had cut and assembled all the
                      bulkheads and assembled the bottom half of the hull only to take
                      alot of it apart upon recieving the up-dated version from our
                      Hero.If I recall correctly,PCB&F's,upon learning in more detail Jean
                      and Gaby's intended intinerary, came up with the proposed changes to
                      better enable the boat to realisticly handle its' mission. I am not
                      all that certain I would have had the raw guts to take apart my boat
                      halfway through the build and start over! Of coarse, seeing the
                      results today demonstrates rather convincingly our Heros' visionary
                      talents,not to mention his sincere concern for his clients
                      safety/comfort, along with Jean and Gabys' faith in same.

                      The one aspect that I most jealously envy however, is the
                      durability of their partnership. One can only begin to imagine the
                      fantastic strain this project subjected their relationship to
                      through the manifold sacrifices and depravations called for with an
                      amateur build of this scope.Yet,week after week,month after month
                      for over 6 years they maintained a unified desire to realise this
                      project through to the end.Not to suggest that this is in anyway
                      exceptional but rather to illustrate what can sometimes be at risk
                      in the relentless pursuit of ones dream. I know that two of my boat
                      building efforts cost me two glorious relationships and much wasted
                      time..........

                      I'll be going out to check on their rigging progress this week
                      (15 minutes away from the boatyard!) and to drown several pints.
                      I'll be sure to pass along the many good wishes they have recieved
                      from the group and will attempt to get them to post in their own
                      words :-)

                      Sincerely,

                      Peter Lenihan, with nose to the grindstone and eager to launch my
                      own dream machine,from along the shores of the St.Lawrence...........
                    • sportofmtl@cfl.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                        Where can I find pics of Le Cabotin?

> [...]
                        > project through to the end.Not to suggest that this is in anyway
                        > exceptional but rather to illustrate what can sometimes be at risk
                        > in the relentless pursuit of ones dream. I know that two of my
                        > boat
                        > building efforts cost me two glorious relationships and much
                        > wasted
                        > time..........
                        >
                        > I'll be going out to check on their rigging progress this week
                        > (15 minutes away from the boatyard!) and to drown several pints.
                        > I'll be sure to pass along the many good wishes they have recieved
                        > from the group and will attempt to get them to post in their own
                        > words :-)
                        >

                        > Sincerely,
                        >
                        > Peter Lenihan, with nose to the grindstone and eager to launch my
                        > own dream machine,from along the shores of the St.Lawrence...........

                      • Harry James
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                          If you haven't seen a project like this in progress then you it is hard
                          to emphasize with the level of commitment required. Watching the Double
                          Eagle "Great Sea come together was a revelation to me and definitely
                          showed me the limits between dream and reality and what I might want to
                          accomplish in the remainder of my years.

                          HJ