BIRTHING ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!! AS-39 LE CABOTIN

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
      Bolgerdos,

      It is with great and sober pleasure that I wish to pass on the
      wonderful good news that LE CABOTIN (AS-39) owned and built by Jean and
      Gaby has been launched!!!
      Photos of the event may be seen here listed under Le Cabotin:

      She arrived at the same boat yard where I am late last Tuesday
      and after a hectic week of last minute details was launched this Tuesday

      Will write more later...a bit pressed for time :-D

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan......
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
        > It is with great and sober pleasure that I wish to pass on the
        > wonderful good news that LE CABOTIN (AS-39) owned and built by Jean and
        > Gaby has been launched!!!

        Wow, that is a major Bolger boat! What a cause for celebration. I am
        very impressed!
      • saillips
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

          > Bolgerdos,
          >
          > It is with great and sober pleasure that I wish to pass on the
          > wonderful good news that LE CABOTIN (AS-39) owned and built by Jean an

          Hi Peter, thanks for th update and wonderful photos! My brian goes
          numb (more than usual) and my eyes glaze over when I think of the
          effort they went through to acheive that level of finish on that scale
          of a boat! Juat an amazing level of commitment and execution. It is
          very humbling, and really inspiring to see. Thanks again,
          DAvid
        • saillips
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006

            My brian goes
            > numb...
            meant my BRAIN... and my hands!
          • David
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
              Absolutely, blindingly awe-inspiring. Kudos to all involved - esp. the
              prooud progenitors. I shall hoist a Full Sail Ale forthwith in honor
              of the launching.

              Prosit,
              David Graybeal
              Portland, OR.

              "The brave man carves out his fortune, and every man is the son of his
              own works" -- Cervantes

              ************

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

              > Bolgerdos,
              >
              > It is with great and sober pleasure that I wish to pass on the
              > wonderful good news that LE CABOTIN (AS-39) owned and built by Jean and
              > Gaby has been launched!!!
              > Photos of the event may be seen here listed under Le Cabotin:

              > She arrived at the same boat yard where I am late last Tuesday
              > and after a hectic week of last minute details was launched this Tuesday
              >
              > Will write more later...a bit pressed for time :-D
              >

              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Peter Lenihan......

            • GarthAB
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
                SWEEEEEEEET!

                Peter -- do you have an e-mail address for Jean and Gaby where we
                Bolger-worshippers can e-mail our congratulations?

                I remember meeting them at the 2003 Kingston Messabout, and even back
                then it seemed like they had been slaving and sacrificing for quite
                some time to make this boat happen. What a dream made true by persistence.

                Also, when you have time, maybe you can remind us all of their
                cruising plans. I only half-remember them, but seem to recall they
                include going up the Labrador coast, and across the north Atlantic,
                then . . . the canals of Europe, or am I imagining that part?

                Whatever they are, I am wildly envious!

                Garth
              • Mike Stockstill
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
                  love the color!

                  On Jul 28, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Peter Lenihan wrote:

                  > Bolgerdos,
                  >
                  > It is with great and sober pleasure that I wish to pass on the
                  > wonderful good news that LE CABOTIN (AS-39) owned and built by Jean
                  > and
                  > Gaby has been launched!!!
                  > Photos of the event may be seen here listed under Le Cabotin:

                  > She arrived at the same boat yard where I am late last Tuesday
                  > and after a hectic week of last minute details was launched this
                  > Tuesday
                  >
                  > Will write more later...a bit pressed for time :-D
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > Peter Lenihan......

                  Mike Stockstill
                  mkstocks@...
                  http://mkstocks.tripod.com/

                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
                    >> Wow, that is a major Bolger boat! What a cause for celebration. I
                    am
                    > very impressed!

                    Wait until you see the cozy interior Bruce :-) Both Jean and Gaby have
                    set themselves up for some easy gracefull living aboard!
                  • Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

                      > SWEEEEEEEET!
                      >
                      > Peter -- do you have an e-mail address for Jean and Gaby where we
                      > Bolger-worshippers can e-mail our congratulations?
                      >
                      > I remember meeting them at the 2003 Kingston Messabout, and even
                      back
                      > then it seemed like they had been slaving and sacrificing for quite
                      > some time to make this boat happen. What a dream made true by
                      persistence.

                      > Also, when you have time, maybe you can remind us all of their
                      > cruising plans. I only half-remember them, but seem to recall they
                      > include going up the Labrador coast, and across the north Atlantic,
                      > then . . . the canals of Europe, or am I imagining that part?
                      >
                      > Whatever they are, I am wildly envious!
                      >
                      > Garth

                      Hi Garth,

                      As for their e-mail address.....hmmmm....if they get a chance to
                      be near a computer and bother to check you might want to try:
                      lecabotin@...

                      They now have a few weeks worth of finishing off the many small
                      and not so small details to make her complete.Some of the small
                      details are the toe rails and a bigger detail is a cockpit arch to
                      support the solar panels,windvane/generator.Of course the entire
                      rigging has to be worked out and installed.Then come the"sea trials"
                      and sailing lessons.......

                      Well Garth, I guess you didn't get too drunk at the messabout
                      since your recollection of their intended route is as you recall :-)
                      The only part not too clear is the time line as they now have simply
                      all the time in the world :-D

                      Sincerely,

                      Peter Lenihan

                    • Peter Lenihan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 28, 2006
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mike Stockstill <mkstocks@...> wrote:

                        > love the color!

                        Hi Mike,

                        When she first arrived at the boat yard, opinions varied up and
                        down the scale about the colour scheme. Admittedly, even myself,
                        despite my craziness, wasn't sure how to take it.Over the coarse of
                        these past two weeks however, the colour has grown on me most
                        favourably and now strikes me as a happy reflection of the owners
                        own characters and,dare I say it....sunny dispostion :-)
                        She sure looks very happy in the water and draws happy smiles
                        from all who have seen here.

                        Sincerely,

                        Peter Lenihan,"communications officer" for the good ship Le Cabotin
                        while her owner/builders slave away with the details :-)
                      • graeme19121984
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 30, 2006
                          Yellow is the colour of ANÉMONE
                          Now on the water, an AS 39
                          Now on the water, and afloat
                          That's the time, that's the time
                          It is the best...

                          (Sung to the tune of COLOURS, by Donovan (D. Leitch)
                          Pye 7N 15866
                          http://home.hetnet.nl/~kjoe65/LYRICS/1965/6506260816.html
                          http://home.hetnet.nl/mr_4/225/kjoe65/#1

                          WOW!! Three cheers.

                          Graeme
                        • adventures_in_astrophotography
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 31, 2006
                            Hi Peter,

                            > It is with great and sober pleasure that I wish to pass on the
                            > wonderful good news that LE CABOTIN (AS-39) owned and built by Jean
                            > and Gaby has been launched!!!

                            WOW! I can't imagine the feeling on completing such a large and
                            obviously finely constructed vessel. I will toast Le Cabotin from high
                            in the Rockies tonight!

                            Jon Kolb
                          • Peter Lenihan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
                              <jon@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Peter,
                              > WOW! I can't imagine the feeling on completing such a large and
                              > obviously finely constructed vessel. I will toast Le Cabotin from
                              high
                              > in the Rockies tonight!
                              >
                              > Jon Kolb

                              Hi Jon,

                              Indeed,it surely must be something else to experience the
                              realization of such a grand project! I suspect both Jean and Gaby
                              are still high as kites with their new home afloat!

                              I have great admiration for them both in their tenacity and
                              rigorus focus on their dream. It is one thing to want to build a
                              boat and an order of magnitude greater to actually put saw to
                              wood,especially with such a substantial project. Things are further
                              hightened when one reflects on the fact they originaly began with
                              the basic AS-39"LOOSE MOOSE" plan,had cut and assembled all the
                              bulkheads and assembled the bottom half of the hull only to take
                              alot of it apart upon recieving the up-dated version from our
                              Hero.If I recall correctly,PCB&F's,upon learning in more detail Jean
                              and Gaby's intended intinerary, came up with the proposed changes to
                              better enable the boat to realisticly handle its' mission. I am not
                              all that certain I would have had the raw guts to take apart my boat
                              halfway through the build and start over! Of coarse, seeing the
                              results today demonstrates rather convincingly our Heros' visionary
                              talents,not to mention his sincere concern for his clients
                              safety/comfort, along with Jean and Gabys' faith in same.

                              The one aspect that I most jealously envy however, is the
                              durability of their partnership. One can only begin to imagine the
                              fantastic strain this project subjected their relationship to
                              through the manifold sacrifices and depravations called for with an
                              amateur build of this scope.Yet,week after week,month after month
                              for over 6 years they maintained a unified desire to realise this
                              project through to the end.Not to suggest that this is in anyway
                              exceptional but rather to illustrate what can sometimes be at risk
                              in the relentless pursuit of ones dream. I know that two of my boat
                              building efforts cost me two glorious relationships and much wasted
                              time..........

                              I'll be going out to check on their rigging progress this week
                              (15 minutes away from the boatyard!) and to drown several pints.
                              I'll be sure to pass along the many good wishes they have recieved
                              from the group and will attempt to get them to post in their own
                              words :-)

                              Sincerely,

                              Peter Lenihan, with nose to the grindstone and eager to launch my
                              own dream machine,from along the shores of the St.Lawrence...........
                            • sportofmtl@cfl.rr.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                                Where can I find pics of Le Cabotin?

> [...]
                                > project through to the end.Not to suggest that this is in anyway
                                > exceptional but rather to illustrate what can sometimes be at risk
                                > in the relentless pursuit of ones dream. I know that two of my
                                > boat
                                > building efforts cost me two glorious relationships and much
                                > wasted
                                > time..........
                                >
                                > I'll be going out to check on their rigging progress this week
                                > (15 minutes away from the boatyard!) and to drown several pints.
                                > I'll be sure to pass along the many good wishes they have recieved
                                > from the group and will attempt to get them to post in their own
                                > words :-)
                                >

                                > Sincerely,
                                >
                                > Peter Lenihan, with nose to the grindstone and eager to launch my
                                > own dream machine,from along the shores of the St.Lawrence...........

                              • Harry James
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                                  If you haven't seen a project like this in progress then you it is hard
                                  to emphasize with the level of commitment required. Watching the Double
                                  Eagle "Great Sea come together was a revelation to me and definitely
                                  showed me the limits between dream and reality and what I might want to
                                  accomplish in the remainder of my years.

                                  HJ