Re: Making Battens - Tips?

  • saillips
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Snapp" <grsnapp@...> wrote:

      > I need to make some battens, both to put into a sail, and also to help
      > in lofting. Any tips? Recommended woods? Dimensions?
      >
      > Thanks!

      Depends on what you're lofting and what sail you're building, but most
      of the time people recommend clear grain wood of some sort, Douglas
      fir, pine, oak, ash, mahogony, etc. For lofting, especially small
      stuff like cabin beams, etc, I'll grab something close at hand like
      wooden 1/4 round trim or even small diameter plastic plumbing pipe:
      whatever is at hand and works. For longer runs like hull panels,
      you're looking for a material with an even resistance to bending to
      give a fair curve, and nothing already skewed to one side. The
      dimensions depend on the material stiffness. Play with it. Lots of
      times I use small finish nails to hold battens to a curve.
      Ruell Parker has a neat way of building battens for a junk rig: PVC
      with tapered wood plugs thast allow the sail to camber. Great stuff!
      Good luck,
      David