Re: [bolger] Boat rental Hatteras Island area Pamlico sound?

  • Patrick Crockett
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2006
      Dave:

      I don't know the waters off Hatteras, but I do sail in Pamlico Sound off
      Ocracoke. I believe Roadanthe is a few miles north of Canadian Hole,
      supposedly named for the hordes of Canadians who come down to windsurf
      in its flat water and good winds. You can generally count on nice land
      and sea breezes, but during the day it can get very calm in the summer.
      Except during afternoon thunderstorms. And, when a front is coming
      through it can easily blow 20 or 25 knots.

      Except in specific channels, the water may be only a foot or two deep
      for a half mile to a mile out into the sound. So you either want very
      shallow draft or alternate propulsion for getting out to the deeper
      water. And a pivoting centerboard or lee board is much nicer than a
      dagger board for the inevitable groundings. (So speaks experience from
      grinding my Windsprint's dagger board into the sand a few times each
      time I go out.)

      Patrick