Outboards for Micro

  • bsdbatwing
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
      Along the same topic. If anybody has feedback on shaft length
      experience for Micro outboards or any comments on reliability of a
      given outboard, I would be appreciative. Thanks in advance, Mark
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
        On 7/5/06, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:
        > Thanks Bruce,
        > If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
        > transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with your
        > top bar omitted, is that correct?

        Yes, I enlarged the size of the 'aft deck' which would take some
        mizzen load. Regardless, the mizzen isn't very big, so I wouldn't
        lose sleep worrying about mizzen load.

        >Also thanks for the shaft feedback.
        > I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short slop
        > that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
        > Mark

        Visible in this photo:
        http://community.webshots.com/photo/238506707/1238507709051159125iuLqLY

        Compare the actual waterline, to the painted waterline.

        At speed, the wake rises up six inches at the stem and stern, (and
        dips 6" at midships). To my eye, there is zero chance of 'pitching
        out' with a short shaft, in any condition.
      • derbyrm
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
          It's not as good as some of the drawings I've seen for American engines, but Yamaha makes the owner's manual available on line at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/service/viewmanuals/viewmanuals.aspx?ls=outboard and page 20, Specifications, for the 2.5 hp unit includes the measurements.

          Roger
          derbyrm@...
          http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Bruce,
            > If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
            > transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with
            your
            > top bar omitted, is that correct? Also thanks for the shaft
            feedback.
            > I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short
            slop
            > that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
            > Mark

            I would suggest that a long shaft may expose the bottom of the prop
            to below the protective shield of the keel? Depending of course
            on "how long" the shaft actually is. On Lestat, Peter installed a
            bronze traveller that was raised high enough to give more room for
            the motor head to clear the opening when raised. It can be just
            barely seen in the photo at Bolger 3 in the Lestat folder.

            http://tinyurl.com/nt966

            The B&S motors might be another option - eith 4-stroke or electic.

            http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=76266

            http://tinyurl.com/peb7g

            Nels
          • dnjost
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
              On the Micro I built (reportedly headed in tow towards Cape Cod on
              July 3rd) I used a 1974 Evinrude longshaft outboard. The cowl cleared
              the combing/traveller by a smidqeon. Worked best if tilted slightly
              left or right. The prop was just at the base of the keel. It looked
              to be about perfect at 20" below the transom top.

              This was a wonderful little boat. I am getting up the nerve to start
              making the mast for Birdwatcher, but need to finish reconditioning the
              1968 Enterprise first.

              Life is good, when those are the toughest choices to make this week.

              David Jost
              "awaiting fair winds and good weather in New England"
            • dnjost
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                FYI -

                Holt/Allen makes an aluminum traveller that should do the trick
                quite nicely as well. I got mine at Annapolis Performance Sailing
                products. It is plenty strong as we frequently lift our dinghy with
                it (265lbs) with no failures in 40 years. Just use hardwood such as
                mahogony, teak, or oak across the top faces of your cut out transom
                to hold the screws 1.5" should be sufficient.

                David Jost

                Peter installed a
                > bronze traveller that was raised high enough to give more room for
                > the motor head to clear the opening when raised. It can be just
                > barely seen in the photo at Bolger 3 in the Lestat folder.

                > http://tinyurl.com/nt966
                >
                > The B&S motors might be another option - eith 4-stroke or electic.
                >
                > http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=76266
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/peb7g
                >
                > Nels

              • Greg Flemming
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                  Sorry for not replying earlier but only just sighted this post. As
                  far as I am aware Matilda Jean is built to plan and the long shaft
                  motors do not clear the water when tilted up (if you can tilt them
                  up provided the cowling over the motor is not too big, as is the
                  case with the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha)

                  If you look at the photo of Micro, Cricket in the files section of
                  the Bolger Overflow Group 7 in a file called Australian Micros, you
                  will see a great photo of Cricket which sports a Yamaha 5 hp motor,
                  and the transom has been modified so that the motor can clear the
                  top of the transom cut-out.

                  The Micro of Peter de Boer in Holland also sports the same modifed
                  transom (see article in Water Craft No 29 of Sept/Oct 2001) As do
                  several others, of course)

                  The point is that the motor will far enough into the water, even as
                  a short shaft, so you do not need a long shaft on Micro, I think?

                  Greg F

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                  > Greg and others who have answered,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the feedback
                  > It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but
                  you
                  > seem to prefer the short. The measurements I have indicate that
                  if you
                  > can raise the engine completely it would clear the water. Could
                  you
                  > please elaborate on why you would prefer the short shaft 4hp?
                  > Mark
                  >
                  > On Jul 5, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Greg Flemming wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hello Mark
                  > >
                  > > Generally we use the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha that the boat came
                  with, but
                  > > it does not allow the motor to tilt up out of the water
                  (standard
                  > > opening). A long shaft British Seagull Silver Century will tilt
                  up OK
                  > > but the prop will still just skim the water. a 3.5 Tohatsu 2
                  stroke
                  > > fits OK but not so good when motoring into a good wind and
                  against the
                  > > tide! 4 HP Yamaha is generally ideal (if it fitted opening and
                  was a
                  > > short shaft!)
                  > >
                  > > Greg F Micro, Matilda Jean
                  > >
                  > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bsdbatwing" <mark@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hello Micro sailors,
                  > > > What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro?
                  Does it
                  > > fit
                  > > > in the standard transom opening?
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > > Mark

                • Mark Balogh
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                    Thanks Greg and all who replied. This is the type of information I
                    needed. If I can get by with the short shaft all the better. It is 2
                    lbs. lighter and 5" smaller to handle.
                    Anybody have any reliability comments regarding the Yamaha 4 strokes?

                    Thanks
                    Mark

                    On Jul 7, 2006, at 5:35 AM, Greg Flemming wrote:

                    > Sorry for not replying earlier but only just sighted this post. As
                    > far as I am aware Matilda Jean is built to plan and the long shaft
                    > motors do not clear the water when tilted up (if you can tilt them
                    > up provided the cowling over the motor is not too big, as is the
                    > case with the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha)
                    >
                    > If you look at the photo of Micro, Cricket in the files section of
                    > the Bolger Overflow Group 7 in a file called Australian Micros, you
                    > will see a great photo of Cricket which sports a Yamaha 5 hp motor,
                    > and the transom has been modified so that the motor can clear the
                    > top of the transom cut-out.
                    >
                    > The Micro of Peter de Boer in Holland also sports the same modifed
                    > transom (see article in Water Craft No 29 of Sept/Oct 2001) As do
                    > several others, of course)
                    >
                    > The point is that the motor will far enough into the water, even as
                    > a short shaft, so you do not need a long shaft on Micro, I think?
                    >
                    > Greg F

                  • Chester
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Greg and all who replied. This is the type of information I
                      > needed.
                      > Anybody have any reliability comments regarding the Yamaha 4
                      strokes?

                      > Thanks
                      > Mark

                      Greg:

                      The Esther Mae (Bolger Tennessee) is outfitted with a 25 hp four
                      stroke Yamaha. Much larger that you will be needing, but a Yamaha
                      none the less. It is a 2000 year model and when I purchased (last
                      December) it was already equipped with a hour meter / tach,
                      (discovered sh0ortlyu after purchase due to the mounting location
                      inside the aft compartment) indicating an even 100 hours. Since
                      Christamas Eve, (day of purchase) I have added another 180 hours.
                      Also replaced the spark plugs and fuel filters, now due for an oil
                      change and appears to be in need of a tune-up since the tach only
                      indicates 4200 rpm, way short of the 5000 - 6000 represented in the
                      manual. I have purchased a lower pitch prop through the local dealer
                      and it only gained 200 rpm while dropping 2 mph on top speed. In
                      this time we have logged over 1000 miles on the GPS and had nary a
                      worry about performance. It hums line a sewing machine, pushes the
                      Esther Mae at 12 mph with 2 on board with gear for overnight trips.
                      Two long runs of 40 mph one way without stopping and a several 30
                      mile runs give 10 mpg consistently. Mr Bolger expressed great
                      interest in seeing data on fuel economy at lower speeds, as they
                      should be fantastic. My local dealer has been very helpful to me
                      with prop choices, parts for the engine etc. If the need arises to
                      repower, at this point it would definitely be a Yamaha.

                      Caloosarat

                      Previously a 30 year, 2-stroke Evinrude fan (all saltwater use).
                    • Stefan Nohn
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                        Hallo to all,

                        Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                        They are complet new technology. See at:

                        http://www.torqeedo.com/

                        Best to all
                        Stefan
                      • Clyde Wisner
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                          Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                          great. Clyde

                          Stefan Nohn wrote:

                          >Hallo to all,
                          >
                          >Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                          >They are complet new technology. See at:
                          >
                          >http://www.torqeedo.com/
                          >
                          >Best to all
                          >Stefan
                          >

                          >Bolger rules!!!
                          >- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                          >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Máximo
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                            on 7/10/06 10:09 AM, Clyde Wisner at clydewis@... wrote:

                            > Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                            > great. Clyde

                            Clyde, there is an english version
                            http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/home.html

                            Máximo.
                          • Clyde Wisner
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                              Before my eyes, when I moved something off screen. Clyde

                              Clyde Wisner wrote:

                              >Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                              >great. Clyde
                              >
                              >Stefan Nohn wrote:
                              >

                              >>Hallo to all,
                              >>
                              >>Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                              >>They are complet new technology. See at:
                              >>
                              >>http://www.torqeedo.com/
                              >>
                              >>Best to all
                              >>Stefan
                              >>

                              >>Bolger rules!!!
                              >>- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                              >>- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                              >>- stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
                              >>- Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
                              >>- Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                              >>- Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                              >>- Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                              >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                              >Bolger rules!!!
                              >- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                              >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • derbyrm
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                Very interesting, but not completely new.

                                For similar tech, see the efforts of the toy makers, some of the most
                                creative engineers on the planet. The electric powered radio control
                                aircraft use the same elements as Torqeedo; e.g.
                                http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=GHG&P=ML

                                Roger
                                derbyrm@...
                                http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                                > Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                > They are complet new technology. See at:
                                >
                                > http://www.torqeedo.com/
                                >
                                > Best to all
                                > Stefan

                                > horses
                                > (978) 282-1349
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Mark Balogh
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 17, 2006
                                  Micro fans,

                                  About a week ago I posed a question to the list regarding short and
                                  long shaft outboards for Micro. First I want to thank everyone who
                                  took the time and effort to relate their experiences. Your pretty much
                                  unanimous reply had pretty much swayed me from long shaft to short. I
                                  had also sent a fax to Mr. Bolger with the same question mentioning
                                  the manufacturers measurements for the new outboard in question but
                                  was not sure I would get a reply. I got my reply today and just so
                                  everyone can be as surprised as I am Mr. Bolger's reply was "Recommend
                                  the long shaft." He also related that "Anecdotes and photos of the
                                  boat in use are appreciated." Thanks again for the input.

                                  Mark
                                • 9buck crowley
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 28, 2006
                                    Mark,

                                    I've run the 5 hp honda four stroke on my micro for eight years. In that
                                    time two plastic items have broke neither of which prevented normal runnnig.
                                    I also had to resort to using stainless steel shear pins as the torque of
                                    the engine would tend to break the standard pins over time My engine is a
                                    standard shaft length can't imagine why Phil suggested the long.

                                    Buck