Re: Outboards for Micro

  • Greg Flemming
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
      Hello Mark

      Generally we use the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha that the boat came with, but
      it does not allow the motor to tilt up out of the water (standard
      opening). A long shaft British Seagull Silver Century will tilt up OK
      but the prop will still just skim the water. a 3.5 Tohatsu 2 stroke
      fits OK but not so good when motoring into a good wind and against the
      tide! 4 HP Yamaha is generally ideal (if it fitted opening and was a
      short shaft!)

      Greg F Micro, Matilda Jean

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bsdbatwing" <mark@...> wrote:

      > Hello Micro sailors,
      > What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
      > in the standard transom opening?
      > Thanks,
      > Mark

    • Mark Balogh
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
        Buck,

        Thanks for the reply. The two Yamahas are the ones I am considering
        which is why I am polling about hp. I found measurements for the 4hp
        and it won't fit but can't find measurements for the 2hp. The dealer
        is a 2.5 hour drive so can't conveniently look in person. I am
        contemplating modifications and would be happy to see what you have
        done. I am thinking of either opening the top of the motor slot and
        reinforcing the transom for the mizzen forces without the continuous
        cap. The other option is to build up the top of the transom into an
        arch with a laminated cap. Any input of successful solutions is
        welcome. My email is below your post.
        Thanks again.
        Mark

        On Jul 5, 2006, at 1:49 AM, 9buck crowley wrote:

        > Mark
        >
        > I use a five horse honda four stroke. A great motor and no it doesnt
        > fit in
        > the standard opening. I could send you a picture of my solution which
        > has
        > worked out very well. I think it's a little more power than my boat
        > needs.
        > Mostly it runs the boat at close to hull speed at just above idle.
        > We're I
        > to do it again I would go for the 4hp Yamaha four stroke or even the
        > 2.5hp
        > to save weight in the end of the boat and to run the motor at a more
        > optimal
        > rpm.
        >
        > Buck
        >
        > >From: "bsdbatwing" <mark@...>
        > >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [bolger] Outboards for Micro
        > >Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:49:07 -0000
        > >
        > >Hello Micro sailors,
        > >What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
        > >in the standard transom opening?
        > >Thanks,
        > >Mark

      • Mark Balogh
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
          Greg and others who have answered,

          Thanks for the feedback
          It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but you
          seem to prefer the short. The measurements I have indicate that if you
          can raise the engine completely it would clear the water. Could you
          please elaborate on why you would prefer the short shaft 4hp?
          Mark

          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
            > It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but you
            > seem to prefer the short.

            My 9.9 hp Honda 4 stroke is too large, and I just omitted the top bar
            on the transom opening.

            Also, there is NO need for a long shaft.
          • Mark Balogh
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
              Thanks Bruce,
              If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
              transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with your
              top bar omitted, is that correct? Also thanks for the shaft feedback.
              I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short slop
              that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
              Mark

              On Jul 5, 2006, at 10:33 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

              > > It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but you
              > > seem to prefer the short.
              >
              > My 9.9 hp Honda 4 stroke is too large, and I just omitted the top bar
              > on the transom opening.
              >
              > Also, there is NO need for a long shaft.

            • bsdbatwing
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                Along the same topic. If anybody has feedback on shaft length
                experience for Micro outboards or any comments on reliability of a
                given outboard, I would be appreciative. Thanks in advance, Mark
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                  On 7/5/06, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks Bruce,
                  > If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
                  > transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with your
                  > top bar omitted, is that correct?

                  Yes, I enlarged the size of the 'aft deck' which would take some
                  mizzen load. Regardless, the mizzen isn't very big, so I wouldn't
                  lose sleep worrying about mizzen load.

                  >Also thanks for the shaft feedback.
                  > I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short slop
                  > that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
                  > Mark

                  Visible in this photo:
                  http://community.webshots.com/photo/238506707/1238507709051159125iuLqLY

                  Compare the actual waterline, to the painted waterline.

                  At speed, the wake rises up six inches at the stem and stern, (and
                  dips 6" at midships). To my eye, there is zero chance of 'pitching
                  out' with a short shaft, in any condition.
                • derbyrm
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                    It's not as good as some of the drawings I've seen for American engines, but Yamaha makes the owner's manual available on line at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/service/viewmanuals/viewmanuals.aspx?ls=outboard and page 20, Specifications, for the 2.5 hp unit includes the measurements.

                    Roger
                    derbyrm@...
                    http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                    Thanks for the reply. The two Yamahas are the ones I am considering
                    which is why I am polling about hp. I found measurements for the 4hp
                    and it won't fit but can't find measurements for the 2hp. The dealer
                    is a 2.5 hour drive so can't conveniently look in person. I am
                    contemplating modifications and would be happy to see what you have
                    done. I am thinking of either opening the top of the motor slot and
                    reinforcing the transom for the mizzen forces without the continuous
                    cap. The other option is to build up the top of the transom into an
                    arch with a laminated cap. Any input of successful solutions is
                    welcome. My email is below your post.
                    Thanks again.
                    Mark

                    On Jul 5, 2006, at 1:49 AM, 9buck crowley wrote:

                    > Mark
                    >
                    > I use a five horse honda four stroke. A great motor and no it doesnt
                    > fit in
                    > the standard opening. I could send you a picture of my solution which
                    > has
                    > worked out very well. I think it's a little more power than my boat
                    > needs.
                    > Mostly it runs the boat at close to hull speed at just above idle.
                    > We're I
                    > to do it again I would go for the 4hp Yamaha four stroke or even the
                    > 2.5hp
                    > to save weight in the end of the boat and to run the motor at a more
                    > optimal
                    > rpm.
                    >
                    > Buck
                    >
                    > >From: "bsdbatwing" <mark@...>
                    > >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: [bolger] Outboards for Micro
                    > >Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:49:07 -0000
                    > >
                    > >Hello Micro sailors,
                    > >What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
                    > >in the standard transom opening?
                    > >Thanks,
                    > >Mark

                  • Nels
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Bruce,
                      > If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
                      > transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with
                      your
                      > top bar omitted, is that correct? Also thanks for the shaft
                      feedback.
                      > I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short
                      slop
                      > that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
                      > Mark

                      I would suggest that a long shaft may expose the bottom of the prop
                      to below the protective shield of the keel? Depending of course
                      on "how long" the shaft actually is. On Lestat, Peter installed a
                      bronze traveller that was raised high enough to give more room for
                      the motor head to clear the opening when raised. It can be just
                      barely seen in the photo at Bolger 3 in the Lestat folder.

                      http://tinyurl.com/nt966

                      The B&S motors might be another option - eith 4-stroke or electic.

                      http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=76266

                      http://tinyurl.com/peb7g

                      Nels
                    • dnjost
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                        On the Micro I built (reportedly headed in tow towards Cape Cod on
                        July 3rd) I used a 1974 Evinrude longshaft outboard. The cowl cleared
                        the combing/traveller by a smidqeon. Worked best if tilted slightly
                        left or right. The prop was just at the base of the keel. It looked
                        to be about perfect at 20" below the transom top.

                        This was a wonderful little boat. I am getting up the nerve to start
                        making the mast for Birdwatcher, but need to finish reconditioning the
                        1968 Enterprise first.

                        Life is good, when those are the toughest choices to make this week.

                        David Jost
                        "awaiting fair winds and good weather in New England"
                      • dnjost
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                          FYI -

                          Holt/Allen makes an aluminum traveller that should do the trick
                          quite nicely as well. I got mine at Annapolis Performance Sailing
                          products. It is plenty strong as we frequently lift our dinghy with
                          it (265lbs) with no failures in 40 years. Just use hardwood such as
                          mahogony, teak, or oak across the top faces of your cut out transom
                          to hold the screws 1.5" should be sufficient.

                          David Jost

                          Peter installed a
                          > bronze traveller that was raised high enough to give more room for
                          > the motor head to clear the opening when raised. It can be just
                          > barely seen in the photo at Bolger 3 in the Lestat folder.

                          > http://tinyurl.com/nt966
                          >
                          > The B&S motors might be another option - eith 4-stroke or electic.
                          >
                          > http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=76266
                          >
                          > http://tinyurl.com/peb7g
                          >
                          > Nels

                        • Greg Flemming
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                            Sorry for not replying earlier but only just sighted this post. As
                            far as I am aware Matilda Jean is built to plan and the long shaft
                            motors do not clear the water when tilted up (if you can tilt them
                            up provided the cowling over the motor is not too big, as is the
                            case with the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha)

                            If you look at the photo of Micro, Cricket in the files section of
                            the Bolger Overflow Group 7 in a file called Australian Micros, you
                            will see a great photo of Cricket which sports a Yamaha 5 hp motor,
                            and the transom has been modified so that the motor can clear the
                            top of the transom cut-out.

                            The Micro of Peter de Boer in Holland also sports the same modifed
                            transom (see article in Water Craft No 29 of Sept/Oct 2001) As do
                            several others, of course)

                            The point is that the motor will far enough into the water, even as
                            a short shaft, so you do not need a long shaft on Micro, I think?

                            Greg F

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                            > Greg and others who have answered,
                            >
                            > Thanks for the feedback
                            > It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but
                            you
                            > seem to prefer the short. The measurements I have indicate that
                            if you
                            > can raise the engine completely it would clear the water. Could
                            you
                            > please elaborate on why you would prefer the short shaft 4hp?
                            > Mark
                            >
                            > On Jul 5, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Greg Flemming wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hello Mark
                            > >
                            > > Generally we use the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha that the boat came
                            with, but
                            > > it does not allow the motor to tilt up out of the water
                            (standard
                            > > opening). A long shaft British Seagull Silver Century will tilt
                            up OK
                            > > but the prop will still just skim the water. a 3.5 Tohatsu 2
                            stroke
                            > > fits OK but not so good when motoring into a good wind and
                            against the
                            > > tide! 4 HP Yamaha is generally ideal (if it fitted opening and
                            was a
                            > > short shaft!)
                            > >
                            > > Greg F Micro, Matilda Jean
                            > >
                            > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bsdbatwing" <mark@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hello Micro sailors,
                            > > > What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro?
                            Does it
                            > > fit
                            > > > in the standard transom opening?
                            > > > Thanks,
                            > > > Mark

                          • Mark Balogh
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                              Thanks Greg and all who replied. This is the type of information I
                              needed. If I can get by with the short shaft all the better. It is 2
                              lbs. lighter and 5" smaller to handle.
                              Anybody have any reliability comments regarding the Yamaha 4 strokes?

                              Thanks
                              Mark

                              On Jul 7, 2006, at 5:35 AM, Greg Flemming wrote:

                              > Sorry for not replying earlier but only just sighted this post. As
                              > far as I am aware Matilda Jean is built to plan and the long shaft
                              > motors do not clear the water when tilted up (if you can tilt them
                              > up provided the cowling over the motor is not too big, as is the
                              > case with the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha)
                              >
                              > If you look at the photo of Micro, Cricket in the files section of
                              > the Bolger Overflow Group 7 in a file called Australian Micros, you
                              > will see a great photo of Cricket which sports a Yamaha 5 hp motor,
                              > and the transom has been modified so that the motor can clear the
                              > top of the transom cut-out.
                              >
                              > The Micro of Peter de Boer in Holland also sports the same modifed
                              > transom (see article in Water Craft No 29 of Sept/Oct 2001) As do
                              > several others, of course)
                              >
                              > The point is that the motor will far enough into the water, even as
                              > a short shaft, so you do not need a long shaft on Micro, I think?
                              >
                              > Greg F

                            • Chester
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks Greg and all who replied. This is the type of information I
                                > needed.
                                > Anybody have any reliability comments regarding the Yamaha 4
                                strokes?

                                > Thanks
                                > Mark

                                Greg:

                                The Esther Mae (Bolger Tennessee) is outfitted with a 25 hp four
                                stroke Yamaha. Much larger that you will be needing, but a Yamaha
                                none the less. It is a 2000 year model and when I purchased (last
                                December) it was already equipped with a hour meter / tach,
                                (discovered sh0ortlyu after purchase due to the mounting location
                                inside the aft compartment) indicating an even 100 hours. Since
                                Christamas Eve, (day of purchase) I have added another 180 hours.
                                Also replaced the spark plugs and fuel filters, now due for an oil
                                change and appears to be in need of a tune-up since the tach only
                                indicates 4200 rpm, way short of the 5000 - 6000 represented in the
                                manual. I have purchased a lower pitch prop through the local dealer
                                and it only gained 200 rpm while dropping 2 mph on top speed. In
                                this time we have logged over 1000 miles on the GPS and had nary a
                                worry about performance. It hums line a sewing machine, pushes the
                                Esther Mae at 12 mph with 2 on board with gear for overnight trips.
                                Two long runs of 40 mph one way without stopping and a several 30
                                mile runs give 10 mpg consistently. Mr Bolger expressed great
                                interest in seeing data on fuel economy at lower speeds, as they
                                should be fantastic. My local dealer has been very helpful to me
                                with prop choices, parts for the engine etc. If the need arises to
                                repower, at this point it would definitely be a Yamaha.

                                Caloosarat

                                Previously a 30 year, 2-stroke Evinrude fan (all saltwater use).
                              • Stefan Nohn
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                  Hallo to all,

                                  Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                  They are complet new technology. See at:

                                  http://www.torqeedo.com/

                                  Best to all
                                  Stefan
                                • Clyde Wisner
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                    Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                                    great. Clyde

                                    Stefan Nohn wrote:

                                    >Hallo to all,
                                    >
                                    >Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                    >They are complet new technology. See at:
                                    >
                                    >http://www.torqeedo.com/
                                    >
                                    >Best to all
                                    >Stefan
                                    >

                                    >Bolger rules!!!
                                    >- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                                    >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Máximo
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                      on 7/10/06 10:09 AM, Clyde Wisner at clydewis@... wrote:

                                      > Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                                      > great. Clyde

                                      Clyde, there is an english version
                                      http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/home.html

                                      Máximo.
                                    • Clyde Wisner
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                        Before my eyes, when I moved something off screen. Clyde

                                        Clyde Wisner wrote:

                                        >Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                                        >great. Clyde
                                        >
                                        >Stefan Nohn wrote:
                                        >

                                        >>Hallo to all,
                                        >>
                                        >>Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                        >>They are complet new technology. See at:
                                        >>
                                        >>http://www.torqeedo.com/
                                        >>
                                        >>Best to all
                                        >>Stefan
                                        >>

                                        >>Bolger rules!!!
                                        >>- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                                        >>- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                                        >>- stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
                                        >>- Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
                                        >>- Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                                        >>- Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                        >>- Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                        >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        >Bolger rules!!!
                                        >- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                                        >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • derbyrm
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                          Very interesting, but not completely new.

                                          For similar tech, see the efforts of the toy makers, some of the most
                                          creative engineers on the planet. The electric powered radio control
                                          aircraft use the same elements as Torqeedo; e.g.
                                          http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=GHG&P=ML

                                          Roger
                                          derbyrm@...
                                          http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                                          > Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                          > They are complet new technology. See at:
                                          >
                                          > http://www.torqeedo.com/
                                          >
                                          > Best to all
                                          > Stefan

                                          > horses
                                          > (978) 282-1349
                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Mark Balogh
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 17, 2006
                                            Micro fans,

                                            About a week ago I posed a question to the list regarding short and
                                            long shaft outboards for Micro. First I want to thank everyone who
                                            took the time and effort to relate their experiences. Your pretty much
                                            unanimous reply had pretty much swayed me from long shaft to short. I
                                            had also sent a fax to Mr. Bolger with the same question mentioning
                                            the manufacturers measurements for the new outboard in question but
                                            was not sure I would get a reply. I got my reply today and just so
                                            everyone can be as surprised as I am Mr. Bolger's reply was "Recommend
                                            the long shaft." He also related that "Anecdotes and photos of the
                                            boat in use are appreciated." Thanks again for the input.

                                            Mark
                                          • 9buck crowley
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 28, 2006
                                              Mark,

                                              I've run the 5 hp honda four stroke on my micro for eight years. In that
                                              time two plastic items have broke neither of which prevented normal runnnig.
                                              I also had to resort to using stainless steel shear pins as the torque of
                                              the engine would tend to break the standard pins over time My engine is a
                                              standard shaft length can't imagine why Phil suggested the long.

                                              Buck