RE: [bolger] Outboards for Micro

  • 9buck crowley
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 4, 2006
      Mark

      I use a five horse honda four stroke. A great motor and no it doesnt fit in
      the standard opening. I could send you a picture of my solution which has
      worked out very well. I think it's a little more power than my boat needs.
      Mostly it runs the boat at close to hull speed at just above idle. We're I
      to do it again I would go for the 4hp Yamaha four stroke or even the 2.5hp
      to save weight in the end of the boat and to run the motor at a more optimal
      rpm.

      Buck

      >From: "bsdbatwing" <mark@...>
      >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [bolger] Outboards for Micro
      >Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:49:07 -0000
      >
      >Hello Micro sailors,
      >What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
      >in the standard transom opening?
      >Thanks,
      >Mark

    • mannthree
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 4, 2006
        Mark,

        I use a 1976 (approx) 4HP Evinrude 2 cyl longshaft ($200 AUD
        fifthhand). Only minor mods needed to fit the "standard gap,

        Cheers,

        John

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bsdbatwing" <mark@...> wrote:

        > Hello Micro sailors,
        > What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
        > in the standard transom opening?
        > Thanks,
        > Mark

      • Greg Flemming
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
          Hello Mark

          Generally we use the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha that the boat came with, but
          it does not allow the motor to tilt up out of the water (standard
          opening). A long shaft British Seagull Silver Century will tilt up OK
          but the prop will still just skim the water. a 3.5 Tohatsu 2 stroke
          fits OK but not so good when motoring into a good wind and against the
          tide! 4 HP Yamaha is generally ideal (if it fitted opening and was a
          short shaft!)

          Greg F Micro, Matilda Jean

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bsdbatwing" <mark@...> wrote:

          > Hello Micro sailors,
          > What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
          > in the standard transom opening?
          > Thanks,
          > Mark

        • Mark Balogh
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
            Buck,

            Thanks for the reply. The two Yamahas are the ones I am considering
            which is why I am polling about hp. I found measurements for the 4hp
            and it won't fit but can't find measurements for the 2hp. The dealer
            is a 2.5 hour drive so can't conveniently look in person. I am
            contemplating modifications and would be happy to see what you have
            done. I am thinking of either opening the top of the motor slot and
            reinforcing the transom for the mizzen forces without the continuous
            cap. The other option is to build up the top of the transom into an
            arch with a laminated cap. Any input of successful solutions is
            welcome. My email is below your post.
            Thanks again.
            Mark

            On Jul 5, 2006, at 1:49 AM, 9buck crowley wrote:

            > Mark
            >
            > I use a five horse honda four stroke. A great motor and no it doesnt
            > fit in
            > the standard opening. I could send you a picture of my solution which
            > has
            > worked out very well. I think it's a little more power than my boat
            > needs.
            > Mostly it runs the boat at close to hull speed at just above idle.
            > We're I
            > to do it again I would go for the 4hp Yamaha four stroke or even the
            > 2.5hp
            > to save weight in the end of the boat and to run the motor at a more
            > optimal
            > rpm.
            >
            > Buck
            >
            > >From: "bsdbatwing" <mark@...>
            > >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [bolger] Outboards for Micro
            > >Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:49:07 -0000
            > >
            > >Hello Micro sailors,
            > >What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
            > >in the standard transom opening?
            > >Thanks,
            > >Mark

          • Mark Balogh
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
              Greg and others who have answered,

              Thanks for the feedback
              It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but you
              seem to prefer the short. The measurements I have indicate that if you
              can raise the engine completely it would clear the water. Could you
              please elaborate on why you would prefer the short shaft 4hp?
              Mark

              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                > It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but you
                > seem to prefer the short.

                My 9.9 hp Honda 4 stroke is too large, and I just omitted the top bar
                on the transom opening.

                Also, there is NO need for a long shaft.
              • Mark Balogh
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                  Thanks Bruce,
                  If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
                  transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with your
                  top bar omitted, is that correct? Also thanks for the shaft feedback.
                  I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short slop
                  that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
                  Mark

                  On Jul 5, 2006, at 10:33 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                  > > It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but you
                  > > seem to prefer the short.
                  >
                  > My 9.9 hp Honda 4 stroke is too large, and I just omitted the top bar
                  > on the transom opening.
                  >
                  > Also, there is NO need for a long shaft.

                • bsdbatwing
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                    Along the same topic. If anybody has feedback on shaft length
                    experience for Micro outboards or any comments on reliability of a
                    given outboard, I would be appreciative. Thanks in advance, Mark
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                      On 7/5/06, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:
                      > Thanks Bruce,
                      > If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
                      > transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with your
                      > top bar omitted, is that correct?

                      Yes, I enlarged the size of the 'aft deck' which would take some
                      mizzen load. Regardless, the mizzen isn't very big, so I wouldn't
                      lose sleep worrying about mizzen load.

                      >Also thanks for the shaft feedback.
                      > I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short slop
                      > that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
                      > Mark

                      Visible in this photo:
                      http://community.webshots.com/photo/238506707/1238507709051159125iuLqLY

                      Compare the actual waterline, to the painted waterline.

                      At speed, the wake rises up six inches at the stem and stern, (and
                      dips 6" at midships). To my eye, there is zero chance of 'pitching
                      out' with a short shaft, in any condition.
                    • derbyrm
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                        It's not as good as some of the drawings I've seen for American engines, but Yamaha makes the owner's manual available on line at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/service/viewmanuals/viewmanuals.aspx?ls=outboard and page 20, Specifications, for the 2.5 hp unit includes the measurements.

                        Roger
                        derbyrm@...
                        http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                        Thanks for the reply. The two Yamahas are the ones I am considering
                        which is why I am polling about hp. I found measurements for the 4hp
                        and it won't fit but can't find measurements for the 2hp. The dealer
                        is a 2.5 hour drive so can't conveniently look in person. I am
                        contemplating modifications and would be happy to see what you have
                        done. I am thinking of either opening the top of the motor slot and
                        reinforcing the transom for the mizzen forces without the continuous
                        cap. The other option is to build up the top of the transom into an
                        arch with a laminated cap. Any input of successful solutions is
                        welcome. My email is below your post.
                        Thanks again.
                        Mark

                        On Jul 5, 2006, at 1:49 AM, 9buck crowley wrote:

                        > Mark
                        >
                        > I use a five horse honda four stroke. A great motor and no it doesnt
                        > fit in
                        > the standard opening. I could send you a picture of my solution which
                        > has
                        > worked out very well. I think it's a little more power than my boat
                        > needs.
                        > Mostly it runs the boat at close to hull speed at just above idle.
                        > We're I
                        > to do it again I would go for the 4hp Yamaha four stroke or even the
                        > 2.5hp
                        > to save weight in the end of the boat and to run the motor at a more
                        > optimal
                        > rpm.
                        >
                        > Buck
                        >
                        > >From: "bsdbatwing" <mark@...>
                        > >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                        > >Subject: [bolger] Outboards for Micro
                        > >Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:49:07 -0000
                        > >
                        > >Hello Micro sailors,
                        > >What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
                        > >in the standard transom opening?
                        > >Thanks,
                        > >Mark

                      • Nels
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks Bruce,
                          > If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
                          > transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with
                          your
                          > top bar omitted, is that correct? Also thanks for the shaft
                          feedback.
                          > I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short
                          slop
                          > that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
                          > Mark

                          I would suggest that a long shaft may expose the bottom of the prop
                          to below the protective shield of the keel? Depending of course
                          on "how long" the shaft actually is. On Lestat, Peter installed a
                          bronze traveller that was raised high enough to give more room for
                          the motor head to clear the opening when raised. It can be just
                          barely seen in the photo at Bolger 3 in the Lestat folder.

                          http://tinyurl.com/nt966

                          The B&S motors might be another option - eith 4-stroke or electic.

                          http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=76266

                          http://tinyurl.com/peb7g

                          Nels
                        • dnjost
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                            On the Micro I built (reportedly headed in tow towards Cape Cod on
                            July 3rd) I used a 1974 Evinrude longshaft outboard. The cowl cleared
                            the combing/traveller by a smidqeon. Worked best if tilted slightly
                            left or right. The prop was just at the base of the keel. It looked
                            to be about perfect at 20" below the transom top.

                            This was a wonderful little boat. I am getting up the nerve to start
                            making the mast for Birdwatcher, but need to finish reconditioning the
                            1968 Enterprise first.

                            Life is good, when those are the toughest choices to make this week.

                            David Jost
                            "awaiting fair winds and good weather in New England"
                          • dnjost
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                              FYI -

                              Holt/Allen makes an aluminum traveller that should do the trick
                              quite nicely as well. I got mine at Annapolis Performance Sailing
                              products. It is plenty strong as we frequently lift our dinghy with
                              it (265lbs) with no failures in 40 years. Just use hardwood such as
                              mahogony, teak, or oak across the top faces of your cut out transom
                              to hold the screws 1.5" should be sufficient.

                              David Jost

                              Peter installed a
                              > bronze traveller that was raised high enough to give more room for
                              > the motor head to clear the opening when raised. It can be just
                              > barely seen in the photo at Bolger 3 in the Lestat folder.

                              > http://tinyurl.com/nt966
                              >
                              > The B&S motors might be another option - eith 4-stroke or electic.
                              >
                              > http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=76266
                              >
                              > http://tinyurl.com/peb7g
                              >
                              > Nels

                            • Greg Flemming
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                                Sorry for not replying earlier but only just sighted this post. As
                                far as I am aware Matilda Jean is built to plan and the long shaft
                                motors do not clear the water when tilted up (if you can tilt them
                                up provided the cowling over the motor is not too big, as is the
                                case with the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha)

                                If you look at the photo of Micro, Cricket in the files section of
                                the Bolger Overflow Group 7 in a file called Australian Micros, you
                                will see a great photo of Cricket which sports a Yamaha 5 hp motor,
                                and the transom has been modified so that the motor can clear the
                                top of the transom cut-out.

                                The Micro of Peter de Boer in Holland also sports the same modifed
                                transom (see article in Water Craft No 29 of Sept/Oct 2001) As do
                                several others, of course)

                                The point is that the motor will far enough into the water, even as
                                a short shaft, so you do not need a long shaft on Micro, I think?

                                Greg F

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                                > Greg and others who have answered,
                                >
                                > Thanks for the feedback
                                > It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but
                                you
                                > seem to prefer the short. The measurements I have indicate that
                                if you
                                > can raise the engine completely it would clear the water. Could
                                you
                                > please elaborate on why you would prefer the short shaft 4hp?
                                > Mark
                                >
                                > On Jul 5, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Greg Flemming wrote:
                                >
                                > > Hello Mark
                                > >
                                > > Generally we use the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha that the boat came
                                with, but
                                > > it does not allow the motor to tilt up out of the water
                                (standard
                                > > opening). A long shaft British Seagull Silver Century will tilt
                                up OK
                                > > but the prop will still just skim the water. a 3.5 Tohatsu 2
                                stroke
                                > > fits OK but not so good when motoring into a good wind and
                                against the
                                > > tide! 4 HP Yamaha is generally ideal (if it fitted opening and
                                was a
                                > > short shaft!)
                                > >
                                > > Greg F Micro, Matilda Jean
                                > >
                                > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bsdbatwing" <mark@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hello Micro sailors,
                                > > > What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro?
                                Does it
                                > > fit
                                > > > in the standard transom opening?
                                > > > Thanks,
                                > > > Mark

                              • Mark Balogh
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                                  Thanks Greg and all who replied. This is the type of information I
                                  needed. If I can get by with the short shaft all the better. It is 2
                                  lbs. lighter and 5" smaller to handle.
                                  Anybody have any reliability comments regarding the Yamaha 4 strokes?

                                  Thanks
                                  Mark

                                  On Jul 7, 2006, at 5:35 AM, Greg Flemming wrote:

                                  > Sorry for not replying earlier but only just sighted this post. As
                                  > far as I am aware Matilda Jean is built to plan and the long shaft
                                  > motors do not clear the water when tilted up (if you can tilt them
                                  > up provided the cowling over the motor is not too big, as is the
                                  > case with the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha)
                                  >
                                  > If you look at the photo of Micro, Cricket in the files section of
                                  > the Bolger Overflow Group 7 in a file called Australian Micros, you
                                  > will see a great photo of Cricket which sports a Yamaha 5 hp motor,
                                  > and the transom has been modified so that the motor can clear the
                                  > top of the transom cut-out.
                                  >
                                  > The Micro of Peter de Boer in Holland also sports the same modifed
                                  > transom (see article in Water Craft No 29 of Sept/Oct 2001) As do
                                  > several others, of course)
                                  >
                                  > The point is that the motor will far enough into the water, even as
                                  > a short shaft, so you do not need a long shaft on Micro, I think?
                                  >
                                  > Greg F

                                • Chester
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks Greg and all who replied. This is the type of information I
                                    > needed.
                                    > Anybody have any reliability comments regarding the Yamaha 4
                                    strokes?

                                    > Thanks
                                    > Mark

                                    Greg:

                                    The Esther Mae (Bolger Tennessee) is outfitted with a 25 hp four
                                    stroke Yamaha. Much larger that you will be needing, but a Yamaha
                                    none the less. It is a 2000 year model and when I purchased (last
                                    December) it was already equipped with a hour meter / tach,
                                    (discovered sh0ortlyu after purchase due to the mounting location
                                    inside the aft compartment) indicating an even 100 hours. Since
                                    Christamas Eve, (day of purchase) I have added another 180 hours.
                                    Also replaced the spark plugs and fuel filters, now due for an oil
                                    change and appears to be in need of a tune-up since the tach only
                                    indicates 4200 rpm, way short of the 5000 - 6000 represented in the
                                    manual. I have purchased a lower pitch prop through the local dealer
                                    and it only gained 200 rpm while dropping 2 mph on top speed. In
                                    this time we have logged over 1000 miles on the GPS and had nary a
                                    worry about performance. It hums line a sewing machine, pushes the
                                    Esther Mae at 12 mph with 2 on board with gear for overnight trips.
                                    Two long runs of 40 mph one way without stopping and a several 30
                                    mile runs give 10 mpg consistently. Mr Bolger expressed great
                                    interest in seeing data on fuel economy at lower speeds, as they
                                    should be fantastic. My local dealer has been very helpful to me
                                    with prop choices, parts for the engine etc. If the need arises to
                                    repower, at this point it would definitely be a Yamaha.

                                    Caloosarat

                                    Previously a 30 year, 2-stroke Evinrude fan (all saltwater use).
                                  • Stefan Nohn
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                      Hallo to all,

                                      Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                      They are complet new technology. See at:

                                      http://www.torqeedo.com/

                                      Best to all
                                      Stefan
                                    • Clyde Wisner
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                        Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                                        great. Clyde

                                        Stefan Nohn wrote:

                                        >Hallo to all,
                                        >
                                        >Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                        >They are complet new technology. See at:
                                        >
                                        >http://www.torqeedo.com/
                                        >
                                        >Best to all
                                        >Stefan
                                        >

                                        >Bolger rules!!!
                                        >- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                                        >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Máximo
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                          on 7/10/06 10:09 AM, Clyde Wisner at clydewis@... wrote:

                                          > Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                                          > great. Clyde

                                          Clyde, there is an english version
                                          http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/home.html

                                          Máximo.
                                        • Clyde Wisner
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                            Before my eyes, when I moved something off screen. Clyde

                                            Clyde Wisner wrote:

                                            >Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                                            >great. Clyde
                                            >
                                            >Stefan Nohn wrote:
                                            >

                                            >>Hallo to all,
                                            >>
                                            >>Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                            >>They are complet new technology. See at:
                                            >>
                                            >>http://www.torqeedo.com/
                                            >>
                                            >>Best to all
                                            >>Stefan
                                            >>

                                            >>Bolger rules!!!
                                            >>- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                                            >>- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                                            >>- stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
                                            >>- Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
                                            >>- Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                                            >>- Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                            >>- Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                            >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            >Bolger rules!!!
                                            >- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                                            >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • derbyrm
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                              Very interesting, but not completely new.

                                              For similar tech, see the efforts of the toy makers, some of the most
                                              creative engineers on the planet. The electric powered radio control
                                              aircraft use the same elements as Torqeedo; e.g.
                                              http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=GHG&P=ML

                                              Roger
                                              derbyrm@...
                                              http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                                              > Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                              > They are complet new technology. See at:
                                              >
                                              > http://www.torqeedo.com/
                                              >
                                              > Best to all
                                              > Stefan

                                              > horses
                                              > (978) 282-1349
                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • Mark Balogh
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 17, 2006
                                                Micro fans,

                                                About a week ago I posed a question to the list regarding short and
                                                long shaft outboards for Micro. First I want to thank everyone who
                                                took the time and effort to relate their experiences. Your pretty much
                                                unanimous reply had pretty much swayed me from long shaft to short. I
                                                had also sent a fax to Mr. Bolger with the same question mentioning
                                                the manufacturers measurements for the new outboard in question but
                                                was not sure I would get a reply. I got my reply today and just so
                                                everyone can be as surprised as I am Mr. Bolger's reply was "Recommend
                                                the long shaft." He also related that "Anecdotes and photos of the
                                                boat in use are appreciated." Thanks again for the input.

                                                Mark
                                              • 9buck crowley
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 28, 2006
                                                  Mark,

                                                  I've run the 5 hp honda four stroke on my micro for eight years. In that
                                                  time two plastic items have broke neither of which prevented normal runnnig.
                                                  I also had to resort to using stainless steel shear pins as the torque of
                                                  the engine would tend to break the standard pins over time My engine is a
                                                  standard shaft length can't imagine why Phil suggested the long.

                                                  Buck