Outboards for Micro

  • bsdbatwing
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 4, 2006
      Hello Micro sailors,
      What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
      in the standard transom opening?
      Thanks,
      Mark
    • 9buck crowley
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 4, 2006
        Mark

        I use a five horse honda four stroke. A great motor and no it doesnt fit in
        the standard opening. I could send you a picture of my solution which has
        worked out very well. I think it's a little more power than my boat needs.
        Mostly it runs the boat at close to hull speed at just above idle. We're I
        to do it again I would go for the 4hp Yamaha four stroke or even the 2.5hp
        to save weight in the end of the boat and to run the motor at a more optimal
        rpm.

        Buck

        >From: "bsdbatwing" <mark@...>
        >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [bolger] Outboards for Micro
        >Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:49:07 -0000
        >
        >Hello Micro sailors,
        >What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
        >in the standard transom opening?
        >Thanks,
        >Mark

      • mannthree
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 4, 2006
          Mark,

          I use a 1976 (approx) 4HP Evinrude 2 cyl longshaft ($200 AUD
          fifthhand). Only minor mods needed to fit the "standard gap,

          Cheers,

          John

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bsdbatwing" <mark@...> wrote:

          > Hello Micro sailors,
          > What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
          > in the standard transom opening?
          > Thanks,
          > Mark

        • Greg Flemming
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
            Hello Mark

            Generally we use the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha that the boat came with, but
            it does not allow the motor to tilt up out of the water (standard
            opening). A long shaft British Seagull Silver Century will tilt up OK
            but the prop will still just skim the water. a 3.5 Tohatsu 2 stroke
            fits OK but not so good when motoring into a good wind and against the
            tide! 4 HP Yamaha is generally ideal (if it fitted opening and was a
            short shaft!)

            Greg F Micro, Matilda Jean

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bsdbatwing" <mark@...> wrote:

            > Hello Micro sailors,
            > What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
            > in the standard transom opening?
            > Thanks,
            > Mark

          • Mark Balogh
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
              Buck,

              Thanks for the reply. The two Yamahas are the ones I am considering
              which is why I am polling about hp. I found measurements for the 4hp
              and it won't fit but can't find measurements for the 2hp. The dealer
              is a 2.5 hour drive so can't conveniently look in person. I am
              contemplating modifications and would be happy to see what you have
              done. I am thinking of either opening the top of the motor slot and
              reinforcing the transom for the mizzen forces without the continuous
              cap. The other option is to build up the top of the transom into an
              arch with a laminated cap. Any input of successful solutions is
              welcome. My email is below your post.
              Thanks again.
              Mark

              On Jul 5, 2006, at 1:49 AM, 9buck crowley wrote:

              > Mark
              >
              > I use a five horse honda four stroke. A great motor and no it doesnt
              > fit in
              > the standard opening. I could send you a picture of my solution which
              > has
              > worked out very well. I think it's a little more power than my boat
              > needs.
              > Mostly it runs the boat at close to hull speed at just above idle.
              > We're I
              > to do it again I would go for the 4hp Yamaha four stroke or even the
              > 2.5hp
              > to save weight in the end of the boat and to run the motor at a more
              > optimal
              > rpm.
              >
              > Buck
              >
              > >From: "bsdbatwing" <mark@...>
              > >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: [bolger] Outboards for Micro
              > >Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:49:07 -0000
              > >
              > >Hello Micro sailors,
              > >What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
              > >in the standard transom opening?
              > >Thanks,
              > >Mark

            • Mark Balogh
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                Greg and others who have answered,

                Thanks for the feedback
                It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but you
                seem to prefer the short. The measurements I have indicate that if you
                can raise the engine completely it would clear the water. Could you
                please elaborate on why you would prefer the short shaft 4hp?
                Mark

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                  > It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but you
                  > seem to prefer the short.

                  My 9.9 hp Honda 4 stroke is too large, and I just omitted the top bar
                  on the transom opening.

                  Also, there is NO need for a long shaft.
                • Mark Balogh
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                    Thanks Bruce,
                    If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
                    transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with your
                    top bar omitted, is that correct? Also thanks for the shaft feedback.
                    I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short slop
                    that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
                    Mark

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                      Along the same topic. If anybody has feedback on shaft length
                      experience for Micro outboards or any comments on reliability of a
                      given outboard, I would be appreciative. Thanks in advance, Mark
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                        On 7/5/06, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:
                        > Thanks Bruce,
                        > If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
                        > transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with your
                        > top bar omitted, is that correct?

                        Yes, I enlarged the size of the 'aft deck' which would take some
                        mizzen load. Regardless, the mizzen isn't very big, so I wouldn't
                        lose sleep worrying about mizzen load.

                        >Also thanks for the shaft feedback.
                        > I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short slop
                        > that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
                        > Mark

                        Visible in this photo:
                        http://community.webshots.com/photo/238506707/1238507709051159125iuLqLY

                        Compare the actual waterline, to the painted waterline.

                        At speed, the wake rises up six inches at the stem and stern, (and
                        dips 6" at midships). To my eye, there is zero chance of 'pitching
                        out' with a short shaft, in any condition.
                      • derbyrm
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                          It's not as good as some of the drawings I've seen for American engines, but Yamaha makes the owner's manual available on line at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/service/viewmanuals/viewmanuals.aspx?ls=outboard and page 20, Specifications, for the 2.5 hp unit includes the measurements.

                          Roger
                          derbyrm@...
                          http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                          Thanks for the reply. The two Yamahas are the ones I am considering
                          which is why I am polling about hp. I found measurements for the 4hp
                          and it won't fit but can't find measurements for the 2hp. The dealer
                          is a 2.5 hour drive so can't conveniently look in person. I am
                          contemplating modifications and would be happy to see what you have
                          done. I am thinking of either opening the top of the motor slot and
                          reinforcing the transom for the mizzen forces without the continuous
                          cap. The other option is to build up the top of the transom into an
                          arch with a laminated cap. Any input of successful solutions is
                          welcome. My email is below your post.
                          Thanks again.
                          Mark

                          On Jul 5, 2006, at 1:49 AM, 9buck crowley wrote:

                          > Mark
                          >
                          > I use a five horse honda four stroke. A great motor and no it doesnt
                          > fit in
                          > the standard opening. I could send you a picture of my solution which
                          > has
                          > worked out very well. I think it's a little more power than my boat
                          > needs.
                          > Mostly it runs the boat at close to hull speed at just above idle.
                          > We're I
                          > to do it again I would go for the 4hp Yamaha four stroke or even the
                          > 2.5hp
                          > to save weight in the end of the boat and to run the motor at a more
                          > optimal
                          > rpm.
                          >
                          > Buck
                          >
                          > >From: "bsdbatwing" <mark@...>
                          > >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                          > >Subject: [bolger] Outboards for Micro
                          > >Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:49:07 -0000
                          > >
                          > >Hello Micro sailors,
                          > >What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro? Does it fit
                          > >in the standard transom opening?
                          > >Thanks,
                          > >Mark

                        • Nels
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Bruce,
                            > If I recall your boat you have side decks all the way back to the
                            > transom that would take some of the fore and aft mizzen load with
                            your
                            > top bar omitted, is that correct? Also thanks for the shaft
                            feedback.
                            > I would have thought there was a time when pitching into a short
                            slop
                            > that prop on a short shaft would be sucking air.
                            > Mark

                            I would suggest that a long shaft may expose the bottom of the prop
                            to below the protective shield of the keel? Depending of course
                            on "how long" the shaft actually is. On Lestat, Peter installed a
                            bronze traveller that was raised high enough to give more room for
                            the motor head to clear the opening when raised. It can be just
                            barely seen in the photo at Bolger 3 in the Lestat folder.

                            http://tinyurl.com/nt966

                            The B&S motors might be another option - eith 4-stroke or electic.

                            http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=76266

                            http://tinyurl.com/peb7g

                            Nels
                          • dnjost
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                              On the Micro I built (reportedly headed in tow towards Cape Cod on
                              July 3rd) I used a 1974 Evinrude longshaft outboard. The cowl cleared
                              the combing/traveller by a smidqeon. Worked best if tilted slightly
                              left or right. The prop was just at the base of the keel. It looked
                              to be about perfect at 20" below the transom top.

                              This was a wonderful little boat. I am getting up the nerve to start
                              making the mast for Birdwatcher, but need to finish reconditioning the
                              1968 Enterprise first.

                              Life is good, when those are the toughest choices to make this week.

                              David Jost
                              "awaiting fair winds and good weather in New England"
                            • dnjost
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 5, 2006
                                FYI -

                                Holt/Allen makes an aluminum traveller that should do the trick
                                quite nicely as well. I got mine at Annapolis Performance Sailing
                                products. It is plenty strong as we frequently lift our dinghy with
                                it (265lbs) with no failures in 40 years. Just use hardwood such as
                                mahogony, teak, or oak across the top faces of your cut out transom
                                to hold the screws 1.5" should be sufficient.

                                David Jost

                                Peter installed a
                                > bronze traveller that was raised high enough to give more room for
                                > the motor head to clear the opening when raised. It can be just
                                > barely seen in the photo at Bolger 3 in the Lestat folder.

                                > http://tinyurl.com/nt966
                                >
                                > The B&S motors might be another option - eith 4-stroke or electic.
                                >
                                > http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=76266
                                >
                                > http://tinyurl.com/peb7g
                                >
                                > Nels

                              • Greg Flemming
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                                  Sorry for not replying earlier but only just sighted this post. As
                                  far as I am aware Matilda Jean is built to plan and the long shaft
                                  motors do not clear the water when tilted up (if you can tilt them
                                  up provided the cowling over the motor is not too big, as is the
                                  case with the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha)

                                  If you look at the photo of Micro, Cricket in the files section of
                                  the Bolger Overflow Group 7 in a file called Australian Micros, you
                                  will see a great photo of Cricket which sports a Yamaha 5 hp motor,
                                  and the transom has been modified so that the motor can clear the
                                  top of the transom cut-out.

                                  The Micro of Peter de Boer in Holland also sports the same modifed
                                  transom (see article in Water Craft No 29 of Sept/Oct 2001) As do
                                  several others, of course)

                                  The point is that the motor will far enough into the water, even as
                                  a short shaft, so you do not need a long shaft on Micro, I think?

                                  Greg F

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                                  > Greg and others who have answered,
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for the feedback
                                  > It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but
                                  you
                                  > seem to prefer the short. The measurements I have indicate that
                                  if you
                                  > can raise the engine completely it would clear the water. Could
                                  you
                                  > please elaborate on why you would prefer the short shaft 4hp?
                                  > Mark
                                  >
                                  > On Jul 5, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Greg Flemming wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Hello Mark
                                  > >
                                  > > Generally we use the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha that the boat came
                                  with, but
                                  > > it does not allow the motor to tilt up out of the water
                                  (standard
                                  > > opening). A long shaft British Seagull Silver Century will tilt
                                  up OK
                                  > > but the prop will still just skim the water. a 3.5 Tohatsu 2
                                  stroke
                                  > > fits OK but not so good when motoring into a good wind and
                                  against the
                                  > > tide! 4 HP Yamaha is generally ideal (if it fitted opening and
                                  was a
                                  > > short shaft!)
                                  > >
                                  > > Greg F Micro, Matilda Jean
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bsdbatwing" <mark@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hello Micro sailors,
                                  > > > What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro?
                                  Does it
                                  > > fit
                                  > > > in the standard transom opening?
                                  > > > Thanks,
                                  > > > Mark

                                • Mark Balogh
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                                    Thanks Greg and all who replied. This is the type of information I
                                    needed. If I can get by with the short shaft all the better. It is 2
                                    lbs. lighter and 5" smaller to handle.
                                    Anybody have any reliability comments regarding the Yamaha 4 strokes?

                                    Thanks
                                    Mark

                                    On Jul 7, 2006, at 5:35 AM, Greg Flemming wrote:

                                    > Sorry for not replying earlier but only just sighted this post. As
                                    > far as I am aware Matilda Jean is built to plan and the long shaft
                                    > motors do not clear the water when tilted up (if you can tilt them
                                    > up provided the cowling over the motor is not too big, as is the
                                    > case with the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha)
                                    >
                                    > If you look at the photo of Micro, Cricket in the files section of
                                    > the Bolger Overflow Group 7 in a file called Australian Micros, you
                                    > will see a great photo of Cricket which sports a Yamaha 5 hp motor,
                                    > and the transom has been modified so that the motor can clear the
                                    > top of the transom cut-out.
                                    >
                                    > The Micro of Peter de Boer in Holland also sports the same modifed
                                    > transom (see article in Water Craft No 29 of Sept/Oct 2001) As do
                                    > several others, of course)
                                    >
                                    > The point is that the motor will far enough into the water, even as
                                    > a short shaft, so you do not need a long shaft on Micro, I think?
                                    >
                                    > Greg F

                                  • Chester
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 7, 2006
                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

                                      > Thanks Greg and all who replied. This is the type of information I
                                      > needed.
                                      > Anybody have any reliability comments regarding the Yamaha 4
                                      strokes?

                                      > Thanks
                                      > Mark

                                      Greg:

                                      The Esther Mae (Bolger Tennessee) is outfitted with a 25 hp four
                                      stroke Yamaha. Much larger that you will be needing, but a Yamaha
                                      none the less. It is a 2000 year model and when I purchased (last
                                      December) it was already equipped with a hour meter / tach,
                                      (discovered sh0ortlyu after purchase due to the mounting location
                                      inside the aft compartment) indicating an even 100 hours. Since
                                      Christamas Eve, (day of purchase) I have added another 180 hours.
                                      Also replaced the spark plugs and fuel filters, now due for an oil
                                      change and appears to be in need of a tune-up since the tach only
                                      indicates 4200 rpm, way short of the 5000 - 6000 represented in the
                                      manual. I have purchased a lower pitch prop through the local dealer
                                      and it only gained 200 rpm while dropping 2 mph on top speed. In
                                      this time we have logged over 1000 miles on the GPS and had nary a
                                      worry about performance. It hums line a sewing machine, pushes the
                                      Esther Mae at 12 mph with 2 on board with gear for overnight trips.
                                      Two long runs of 40 mph one way without stopping and a several 30
                                      mile runs give 10 mpg consistently. Mr Bolger expressed great
                                      interest in seeing data on fuel economy at lower speeds, as they
                                      should be fantastic. My local dealer has been very helpful to me
                                      with prop choices, parts for the engine etc. If the need arises to
                                      repower, at this point it would definitely be a Yamaha.

                                      Caloosarat

                                      Previously a 30 year, 2-stroke Evinrude fan (all saltwater use).
                                    • Stefan Nohn
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                        Hallo to all,

                                        Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                        They are complet new technology. See at:

                                        http://www.torqeedo.com/

                                        Best to all
                                        Stefan
                                      • Clyde Wisner
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                          Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                                          great. Clyde

                                          Stefan Nohn wrote:

                                          >Hallo to all,
                                          >
                                          >Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                          >They are complet new technology. See at:
                                          >
                                          >http://www.torqeedo.com/
                                          >
                                          >Best to all
                                          >Stefan
                                          >

                                          >Bolger rules!!!
                                          >- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                                          >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Máximo
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                            on 7/10/06 10:09 AM, Clyde Wisner at clydewis@... wrote:

                                            > Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                                            > great. Clyde

                                            Clyde, there is an english version
                                            http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/home.html

                                            Máximo.
                                          • Clyde Wisner
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                              Before my eyes, when I moved something off screen. Clyde

                                              Clyde Wisner wrote:

                                              >Hi Stefan, If you communicate with them, an English version would be
                                              >great. Clyde
                                              >
                                              >Stefan Nohn wrote:
                                              >

                                              >>Hallo to all,
                                              >>
                                              >>Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                              >>They are complet new technology. See at:
                                              >>
                                              >>http://www.torqeedo.com/
                                              >>
                                              >>Best to all
                                              >>Stefan
                                              >>

                                              >>Bolger rules!!!
                                              >>- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                                              >>- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                                              >>- stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
                                              >>- Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
                                              >>- Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                                              >>- Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                              >>- Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                              >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              >Bolger rules!!!
                                              >- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                                              >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • derbyrm
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 10, 2006
                                                Very interesting, but not completely new.

                                                For similar tech, see the efforts of the toy makers, some of the most
                                                creative engineers on the planet. The electric powered radio control
                                                aircraft use the same elements as Torqeedo; e.g.
                                                http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=GHG&P=ML

                                                Roger
                                                derbyrm@...
                                                http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                                                > Maybe an alternative. Elektric outboards. I've seen them on a market.
                                                > They are complet new technology. See at:
                                                >
                                                > http://www.torqeedo.com/
                                                >
                                                > Best to all
                                                > Stefan

                                                > horses
                                                > (978) 282-1349
                                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              • Mark Balogh
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 17, 2006
                                                  Micro fans,

                                                  About a week ago I posed a question to the list regarding short and
                                                  long shaft outboards for Micro. First I want to thank everyone who
                                                  took the time and effort to relate their experiences. Your pretty much
                                                  unanimous reply had pretty much swayed me from long shaft to short. I
                                                  had also sent a fax to Mr. Bolger with the same question mentioning
                                                  the manufacturers measurements for the new outboard in question but
                                                  was not sure I would get a reply. I got my reply today and just so
                                                  everyone can be as surprised as I am Mr. Bolger's reply was "Recommend
                                                  the long shaft." He also related that "Anecdotes and photos of the
                                                  boat in use are appreciated." Thanks again for the input.

                                                  Mark
                                                • 9buck crowley
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 28, 2006
                                                    Mark,

                                                    I've run the 5 hp honda four stroke on my micro for eight years. In that
                                                    time two plastic items have broke neither of which prevented normal runnnig.
                                                    I also had to resort to using stainless steel shear pins as the torque of
                                                    the engine would tend to break the standard pins over time My engine is a
                                                    standard shaft length can't imagine why Phil suggested the long.

                                                    Buck