Re: Micro's seagoing ability

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 3, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Schmidt <largethomassails@...>
      wrote:
      > @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
      > David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
      > would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
      > Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you
      modify it?
      > Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
      > Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site
      are
      > invalid.
      > Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D
      >
      > Many thanks again to all of you,
      > Cheers
      > Thomas
      Hi Thomas,

      Thanks! The cockpit was built as per plan with the only exception
      being my addition of inclined back-rests for the cockpit coamings
      rather then the dead straight(vertical) ones on the plans.
      It has been too many years but I seem to recall her weight being
      somewhere near 900lbs....+ or - say a 100 lbs.:-)
      Regarding my"website online", I never had a website however a number of
      nice pictures where posted and included with a few "articles" I had
      written for the world famous online e-zine,DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE. Perhaps
      it is/was links to these that you mistook for a personal website?

      At any rate, you may rest assured that whichever Bolger beauty you
      decide to build, there will be some nice helpful folks within this
      group to help you along with useful tidbits of fabulously free advice
      for the taking ;-) Just never forget to have lots of fun and to enjoy
      the process for this will one day come to an end after you launch and I
      dare say there will be days on the water when you will look back
      longingly at those heading days spent making sawdust :-)

      HAPPY BOATBUILDING!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan.......
      Sincerely
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "largethomassails"
        <largethomassails@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
        > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
        similar
        > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
        project -
        > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
        currently
        > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
        > the Baltic Sea.
        >
        > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
        or
        > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
        > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
        don't
        > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
        >
        > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
        going
        > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Thomas

        Hi Thomas,

        Late reply here to your post as I have been away for two weeks. You
        might be interested in contacting a fellow countryman of yours named
        Stefan Nohn who has built a Seabird 86 called I think "Blue Air" and
        I believe lives in Dusseldorf or therabouts.

        http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html

        He could expand on what he likes about the design and some things he
        is not so crazy about - lack of interior space being one thing I
        believe he mentioned. It is certainly a design capable of off-shore
        work with a smooth and easy motion. Also it is great for single-
        handed sailing with the junk rig he is using and also for canal use.

        His e-mail is at the bottom of the home page.

        Nels
      • Thomas Schmidt
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
          Hi Peter,

          I do very much think I will enjoy the building. There may be hours you
          mourn your fate and the lightly curse the day the ill luck of finding
          out about a beautiful boat hit you. But as you instantly fell in love
          with it and wanted nothing more then to build one like this... you won't
          give up. At least not me.
          Because I, too, know the Zen Zone. Just experienced it again today,
          although in the Zen Lite version, while painting the bottom of a work
          catamaran with tar epoxy.

          I found your "articles" at Duckworks, and I love your style of writing,
          whether it is in those "articles" or in here, at the Bolger group.
          I see you as a pub-going gentleman-boatbuilder, and a true gentleman indeed!
          By the way, I guess at least as long as those pictures of Lestat are
          online your fame will never cease, and I may say we're all looking
          forward to the turning-out of your Lady Windemere...

          Best regards,
          Thomas

          Peter Lenihan wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Thomas Schmidt <largethomassails@...>
          > wrote:
          > > @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
          > > David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
          > > would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
          > > Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you
          > modify it?
          > > Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
          > > Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site
          > are
          > > invalid.
          > > Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D
          > >
          > > Many thanks again to all of you,
          > > Cheers
          > > Thomas
          > Hi Thomas,
          >
          > Thanks! The cockpit was built as per plan with the only exception
          > being my addition of inclined back-rests for the cockpit coamings
          > rather then the dead straight(vertical) ones on the plans.
          > It has been too many years but I seem to recall her weight being
          > somewhere near 900lbs....+ or - say a 100 lbs.:-)
          > Regarding my"website online", I never had a website however a number of
          > nice pictures where posted and included with a few "articles" I had
          > written for the world famous online e-zine,DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE. Perhaps
          > it is/was links to these that you mistook for a personal website?
          >
          > At any rate, you may rest assured that whichever Bolger beauty you
          > decide to build, there will be some nice helpful folks within this
          > group to help you along with useful tidbits of fabulously free advice
          > for the taking ;-) Just never forget to have lots of fun and to enjoy
          > the process for this will one day come to an end after you launch and I
          > dare say there will be days on the water when you will look back
          > longingly at those heading days spent making sawdust :-)
          >
          > HAPPY BOATBUILDING!
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Peter Lenihan.......
          > Sincerely

        • Thomas Schmidt
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
            Hi Nels,
            Thanks for answering anyway. I will contact Stefan. Have fun with Lestat :D
            I read you thought about pursaching the Navigator update for the Long
            Micro plans? I wonder whether it enhances the space considerably,
            especially the headroom?

            Best regards,
            Thomas

            > > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
            > > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
            > similar
            > > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
            > project -
            > > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
            > currently
            > > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
            > > the Baltic Sea.
            > >
            > > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
            > or
            > > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
            > > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
            > don't
            > > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
            > >
            > > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
            > going
            > > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Thomas
            > >

            > Hi Thomas,
            >
            > Late reply here to your post as I have been away for two weeks. You
            > might be interested in contacting a fellow countryman of yours named
            > Stefan Nohn who has built a Seabird 86 called I think "Blue Air" and
            > I believe lives in Dusseldorf or therabouts.
            >
            > http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html
            > <http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html>
            >
            > He could expand on what he likes about the design and some things he
            > is not so crazy about - lack of interior space being one thing I
            > believe he mentioned. It is certainly a design capable of off-shore
            > work with a smooth and easy motion. Also it is great for single-
            > handed sailing with the junk rig he is using and also for canal use.
            >
            > His e-mail is at the bottom of the home page.
            >
            > Nels

          • Nels
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
              wrote:

              > Hi Nels,
              > Thanks for answering anyway. I will contact Stefan. Have fun with
              Lestat :D
              > I read you thought about pursaching the Navigator update for the
              Long
              > Micro plans? I wonder whether it enhances the space considerably,
              > especially the headroom?
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Thomas

              One could get about 5'10' headroom amidships in a LM Navigator and
              more if one raises the boom position a bit higher for the standard
              sailplan or converts to the Chinese gaff.

              I enquired about a Long Micro modification update, but Susanne
              believes one could simply get enough information by adapting the
              Micro Navigator plans, which I have. The only challenge is the
              requirement for a remote tiller location to be able to steer from
              the pilothouse. Also the Chinese gaff sailplan area may have to be
              re-calculated for the LM Navigator.

              Susanne prefers the Long Micro hull over Micro for offshore work.
              That additional 4 foot of waterline is quite an increase and the
              added displacement amidships allows it to carry a considerably
              larger sailplan and a larger motor.

              There would be nothing "Micro" about a Long Micro Navigator:-) It
              would be a big surprisingly roomy boat.

              Incidently the standard Long Micro is pretty close in size to TREKKA
              which circumnavigated twice and had the record for some time as the
              smallest boat to do that. The book about the first voyage, in 1955-
              57 is back in print again. What a great read!

              http://www.fineedge.com/NAUTICAL%20BOOKS/trekkaforeword.html

              Amazon also had it on sale for $12.95 USD in softcover.

              Nels