Re: [bolger] Re: Boat Plans,a thank you from the blushing bride......

  • John and Kathy Trussell
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 3, 2006
      Sanding is my least favorite part of boatbuilding, but for me it is necessary. I've found some things that make it a little easier.

      The object of the exercise is to produce a perfectly flat surface by sanding off high spots and filling in low spots with primer/undercoat, paint. You can, eventuslly, lower the high spots with very fine sand paper, but it goes much quicker if you start with coarse paper (60-80 grit) and work your way down to finish with 220 or finer.

      Sandpaper gets dull and gets clogged. Buy it in bulk (sleeves), and change it often. Your friendly auto paint store is a good source.

      Power sanders are a mixed blessing. Circular sanders and belt sanders remove material quickly, but in unskilled hands (like mine), they tend to gouge. Jitterbug sanders work OK, but they make my hands tingle. A random orbital works pretty well.

      A sanding board (a flexible piece of board about 3 feet long with two handles on one side and sandpaper on the other) works well for fairing. Since my hand is not flat, I rely on the rubber sanding blocks, particularly for the last several passes at wet sanding with 110/220 paper.

      None of this takes the ache out of your back, but it does reduce the time spent bending over a boat and sanding it.

      During the Rennaissance, it was believed that only God could achieve perfection and that for mere mortals to pursue perfection was something to be avoided. Artists routinely included some small error in a corner of their paintings to avoid this. I don't deliberately include imperfections, but I generally reach the "that's as good as it is going to get" stage long before I approach perfection!

      John T
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 5, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "lakepepinmollyblue" <barryhill@...>
        wrote:

        > From a fellow unrepentant,if somewhat soured by age,romantic.
        >
        > Persian rug-makers make an intentional error because "only Allah is
        > perfect".
        >
        > Perhaps more to the point, as I was told one fussy day in the school
        > machine shop, "the Russians say,'Perfection is the enemy of Gudonov".
        >
        > From "gettin' a little green around the edges" Lake Pepin.
        >
        > Bob

        Hi Bob,

        Whaddya mean,"somewhat soured by age"?! Don't you know we are all
        like huge premium bottles of wine getting better with age? All we need
        is for someone to come in to check on us once in a while and to even
        give us a gentle turning and Presto(!) we get better. God knows there
        is enough grief and turmoil in the world thus it suits me to a"T" to
        also be kept in the dark a while also :-)
        Besides that, this boatbuilding hobby is grand medicine for
        nurturing our inner child,who may become starved while we struggle with
        adult life realities.....even our hero Bolger calls our boats big
        toys....I say "Let's play!!"

        As regards this business of perfection being the exclussive domain
        of various deities, I say phoowee! It is all in the eye of the
        beholder....just ask my crewette :-D

        Keep a good thought Bob!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,perfectly happy,with his perfect crewette and enoying
        this imperfect world/life...perfectly! :-D