Re: OT: Independence Day Request

  • Jamie Orr
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2 11:13 AM
      Have a great Independence Day!

      We celebrated Canada Day yesterday. Here in Victoria BC the city
      puts up a huge fireworks display over the inner harbour. We loaded
      up our Chebacco with snacks and friends and sailed over to see the
      show. The harbour master, coast guard and naval reservists (I
      think) were patrolling the edge of the danger zone, we anchored just
      clear of them and had a better than front row view. When the big
      ones went off almost overhead we could feel the concussion and the
      whole boat would shudder.

      Don't know why we never did this before, we'll be back again next
      year!

      Jamie Orr

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, dave seeton <daveseeton@...> wrote:

      > Paul
      > The fireworks they sell in GA are pretty tame. When you go to
      the lake (Hartwell or Keowee) stop at Exit 1 on I-85 and I set you
      up with some real fireworks. And trade lies about boat building.
      > Dave
      >

      > Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:
      > Georgia approved some limited fireworks last year and I
      have my pack
      > ready for the 4th so I will fire off a few in your honor.
      >
      > BTW, I have been a lurker here for a while, currently building a
      > tortoise and a brick, making them so they can be nested for
      carting
      > up to the lake to teach my son about sailing this summer, after
      > which I will be starting a larger boat.
      >
      > Paul H.
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
      > <jon@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The sky is orange every morning and evening her in Colorado
      > Springs
      > > from fires in this area and in AZ, NM, UT, and WY. Fire bans are
      > in
      > > effect statewide on all public land, and in some counties you
      > can't
      > > even use a charcoal barbeque on your own property. Fireworks
      > sales and
      > > use are banned in most places, except for professional and local
      > > government displays, since we know that government employees
      don't
      > make
      > > mistakes that start fires (er, well, except for the 138,000 acre
      > Hayman
      > > fire in '02 that was started by a Forest Service employee).
      > >
      > > With that in mind, would somebody, somewhere, please explode
      some
      > > fireworks for me on the 4th? An M80, a pack of Black Cats or
      > > Thunderbombs, even a couple of Lady Fingers would work. A few
      > bottle
      > > rockets would be nice if you have any. Thank you.
      > >
      > > Happy 230th, USA.
      > >
      > > Jon Kolb
      > > www.kolbsadventures.com/boatbuilding_index.htm

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2 1:01 PM
        I used to live on a houseboat on Lake Lanier (north of Atlanta) and
        on the fourth there was a huge fireworks display and concert along
        the shore at Lake Lanier Islands and we would anchor the boat just
        offshore for a similar front row seat. One of my favorite memories
        of living there.

        And Dave, I agree, what is legal here is pretty tame but my car
        still knows the way to fireworks city across the Alabama line. We
        have often made pilgrimages there prior to major holidays to stock
        up. I might take you up on your offer though next time I'm up that
        way. Always up to swapping lies and tips.

        Paul H.