Re: [bolger] Re: Micro's seagoing ability

  • Thomas Schmidt
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2 6:36 AM
      All great knowledge-sharers,

      I'm grateful to all the interesting information you're offering, and be
      assured that neither of your advice is touching on inattentive ears!

      @David Graybeal: Thanks for the inspiring quote. And for the
      blessings... :-D
      "When it comes, the desire to build a boat is one of those that cannot
      be resisted. It begins as a little cloud on a serene horizon. It ends by
      covering the whole sky, so that you think of nothing else" -- Arthur Rans
      I'll try to always keep an eye on th e glittering surface of the
      water... and I hope that will be what always pushes me along to finish
      the boat and to get it into the water!
      I guess one reason for choosing the Micro (or Long Micro) is the
      following: I am - doubt it or not - 6' 8 3/4'' (2.05 metres) tall.

      @Buck Crowley: Building the hull from 1/2 inch occume seems to be pretty
      heavy, but you say it makes for a strong boat, and Phil approved of it.
      Could you tell me your boat's empty weight?
      In speaking about real cockpits I presume you meant such opening to the aft?

      @John Mann: I guessed from the beginning that she is no race boat... :-D
      I'm not looking for one at this time, otherwise I'd stick to my dream of
      a Minitransat boat. I'm just looking for a nice little boat to get out
      on the water with and which I can use for small cruises over the
      weekend. I don't like to be forced to camp out on the beach every night
      when going out on a dinghy, so I figured some cabin cruiser, also to do
      some serious several-weeks-cruising, as I definitely want to visit
      Scotland and Ireland by boat once. Not sure whether a Micro is good for
      that, but it would be nice...

      @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
      David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
      would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
      Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
      Interesting articles on Duckworks you have on Lestat!
      Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D

      Many thanks again to all of you,
      Cheers
      Thomas

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 3 8:17 PM
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Schmidt <largethomassails@...>
        wrote:
        > @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
        > David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
        > would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
        > Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you
        modify it?
        > Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
        > Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site
        are
        > invalid.
        > Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D
        >
        > Many thanks again to all of you,
        > Cheers
        > Thomas
        Hi Thomas,

        Thanks! The cockpit was built as per plan with the only exception
        being my addition of inclined back-rests for the cockpit coamings
        rather then the dead straight(vertical) ones on the plans.
        It has been too many years but I seem to recall her weight being
        somewhere near 900lbs....+ or - say a 100 lbs.:-)
        Regarding my"website online", I never had a website however a number of
        nice pictures where posted and included with a few "articles" I had
        written for the world famous online e-zine,DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE. Perhaps
        it is/was links to these that you mistook for a personal website?

        At any rate, you may rest assured that whichever Bolger beauty you
        decide to build, there will be some nice helpful folks within this
        group to help you along with useful tidbits of fabulously free advice
        for the taking ;-) Just never forget to have lots of fun and to enjoy
        the process for this will one day come to an end after you launch and I
        dare say there will be days on the water when you will look back
        longingly at those heading days spent making sawdust :-)

        HAPPY BOATBUILDING!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan.......
        Sincerely
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 5 10:23 AM
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "largethomassails"
          <largethomassails@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
          > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
          similar
          > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
          project -
          > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
          currently
          > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
          > the Baltic Sea.
          >
          > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
          or
          > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
          > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
          don't
          > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
          >
          > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
          going
          > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Thomas

          Hi Thomas,

          Late reply here to your post as I have been away for two weeks. You
          might be interested in contacting a fellow countryman of yours named
          Stefan Nohn who has built a Seabird 86 called I think "Blue Air" and
          I believe lives in Dusseldorf or therabouts.

          http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html

          He could expand on what he likes about the design and some things he
          is not so crazy about - lack of interior space being one thing I
          believe he mentioned. It is certainly a design capable of off-shore
          work with a smooth and easy motion. Also it is great for single-
          handed sailing with the junk rig he is using and also for canal use.

          His e-mail is at the bottom of the home page.

          Nels
        • Thomas Schmidt
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 5 12:14 PM
            Hi Peter,

            I do very much think I will enjoy the building. There may be hours you
            mourn your fate and the lightly curse the day the ill luck of finding
            out about a beautiful boat hit you. But as you instantly fell in love
            with it and wanted nothing more then to build one like this... you won't
            give up. At least not me.
            Because I, too, know the Zen Zone. Just experienced it again today,
            although in the Zen Lite version, while painting the bottom of a work
            catamaran with tar epoxy.

            I found your "articles" at Duckworks, and I love your style of writing,
            whether it is in those "articles" or in here, at the Bolger group.
            I see you as a pub-going gentleman-boatbuilder, and a true gentleman indeed!
            By the way, I guess at least as long as those pictures of Lestat are
            online your fame will never cease, and I may say we're all looking
            forward to the turning-out of your Lady Windemere...

            Best regards,
            Thomas

            Peter Lenihan wrote:

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Thomas Schmidt <largethomassails@...>
            > wrote:
            > > @Peter Lenihan: Thanks for the adviceI love the looks of Lestat (yes,
            > > David, I really do)! One excellent piece of work every boat builder
            > > would be proud of. I just hope I get to do it this good, too.
            > > Was the cockpit of Lestat build to the original plans or did you
            > modify it?
            > > Same question as to Buck... Do you know the weight of Lestat?
            > > Do you still have any website online? Because all links to your site
            > are
            > > invalid.
            > > Happy Canada Day to you, too :-D
            > >
            > > Many thanks again to all of you,
            > > Cheers
            > > Thomas
            > Hi Thomas,
            >
            > Thanks! The cockpit was built as per plan with the only exception
            > being my addition of inclined back-rests for the cockpit coamings
            > rather then the dead straight(vertical) ones on the plans.
            > It has been too many years but I seem to recall her weight being
            > somewhere near 900lbs....+ or - say a 100 lbs.:-)
            > Regarding my"website online", I never had a website however a number of
            > nice pictures where posted and included with a few "articles" I had
            > written for the world famous online e-zine,DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE. Perhaps
            > it is/was links to these that you mistook for a personal website?
            >
            > At any rate, you may rest assured that whichever Bolger beauty you
            > decide to build, there will be some nice helpful folks within this
            > group to help you along with useful tidbits of fabulously free advice
            > for the taking ;-) Just never forget to have lots of fun and to enjoy
            > the process for this will one day come to an end after you launch and I
            > dare say there will be days on the water when you will look back
            > longingly at those heading days spent making sawdust :-)
            >
            > HAPPY BOATBUILDING!
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > Peter Lenihan.......
            > Sincerely

          • Thomas Schmidt
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 5 12:22 PM
              Hi Nels,
              Thanks for answering anyway. I will contact Stefan. Have fun with Lestat :D
              I read you thought about pursaching the Navigator update for the Long
              Micro plans? I wonder whether it enhances the space considerably,
              especially the headroom?

              Best regards,
              Thomas

              > > I'm new to your wonderful and most interesting group and I just
              > > stumbled in here as I'm wondering about building a Micro or a
              > similar
              > > - veeeery - small cruising boat. It's not my first building
              > project -
              > > or better will not be by the time I start with it - as I'm
              > currently
              > > being apprenticed as a boatbuilder over here in Lübeck, Germany, at
              > > the Baltic Sea.
              > >
              > > Question about the Micro: Would you consider the design "seagoing"
              > or
              > > "seaworthy" enough to mostly do coastal trips in it? It's just we
              > > don't have too much interesting inshore water around here, and I
              > don't
              > > want to exlusively sail on lakes.
              > >
              > > So I'm generally interested in your experience and thoughts on
              > going
              > > "out" on a Micro or a similar design, such as the Chebacco.
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > Thomas
              > >

              > Hi Thomas,
              >
              > Late reply here to your post as I have been away for two weeks. You
              > might be interested in contacting a fellow countryman of yours named
              > Stefan Nohn who has built a Seabird 86 called I think "Blue Air" and
              > I believe lives in Dusseldorf or therabouts.
              >
              > http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html
              > <http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/original.html>
              >
              > He could expand on what he likes about the design and some things he
              > is not so crazy about - lack of interior space being one thing I
              > believe he mentioned. It is certainly a design capable of off-shore
              > work with a smooth and easy motion. Also it is great for single-
              > handed sailing with the junk rig he is using and also for canal use.
              >
              > His e-mail is at the bottom of the home page.
              >
              > Nels

            • Nels
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 5 4:40 PM
                wrote:

                > Hi Nels,
                > Thanks for answering anyway. I will contact Stefan. Have fun with
                Lestat :D
                > I read you thought about pursaching the Navigator update for the
                Long
                > Micro plans? I wonder whether it enhances the space considerably,
                > especially the headroom?
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Thomas

                One could get about 5'10' headroom amidships in a LM Navigator and
                more if one raises the boom position a bit higher for the standard
                sailplan or converts to the Chinese gaff.

                I enquired about a Long Micro modification update, but Susanne
                believes one could simply get enough information by adapting the
                Micro Navigator plans, which I have. The only challenge is the
                requirement for a remote tiller location to be able to steer from
                the pilothouse. Also the Chinese gaff sailplan area may have to be
                re-calculated for the LM Navigator.

                Susanne prefers the Long Micro hull over Micro for offshore work.
                That additional 4 foot of waterline is quite an increase and the
                added displacement amidships allows it to carry a considerably
                larger sailplan and a larger motor.

                There would be nothing "Micro" about a Long Micro Navigator:-) It
                would be a big surprisingly roomy boat.

                Incidently the standard Long Micro is pretty close in size to TREKKA
                which circumnavigated twice and had the record for some time as the
                smallest boat to do that. The book about the first voyage, in 1955-
                57 is back in print again. What a great read!

                http://www.fineedge.com/NAUTICAL%20BOOKS/trekkaforeword.html

                Amazon also had it on sale for $12.95 USD in softcover.

                Nels