Re: [bolger] sneakeasy

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 2006
      Abosolutely!

      On Jun 29, 2006, at 7:41 PM, Dave wrote:

      > Hello,
      > Does anyone know if the Sneakeast plans are available in a 16'
      > version?

    • superpum
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 8, 2008
        hi,
        im Rodrigo Mattiello, im from south of Brasil and i want to buy a
        sneakeasy plans and i wanna know if can i pay by credit card? and if
        the plans explain all the details to built it.
        thanks for now and hope to make some abroad friends,
        thanks Rodrigo
      • Máximo
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 8, 2008
          Boa tarde Rodrigo! ¿Cómo andan los gaúchos?

          My name is Máximo, from Buenos Aires. I dont know if you could pay to Payson
          or Bolger with an international credit card. On Payson website, it seams he
          only accept money orders or check.
          http://www.instantboats.com/overseas.htm

          Usually you get 2 or 3 big pages with the plans, and sometimes an A4 page
          with numbered step by step procedures. But if you are a first time builder,
          they are not very detailed, and you can get a nice panic attack on the first
          minutes :)

          Except Roberto "Cabinho" Barros, who has a book with instructions, any other
          designer I know (Wharram, Woods, etc) are not very friendly for the first
          time builder on the plans they sell, specially on international orders where
          you dont always have phone o fax facilities.

          So, I recommend you to buy the plans and build a scale model first, or
          better yet, buy Payson 3 books (with credit card from amazon) specially the
          last one, where you have a small print of sneakeasy plans among others
          designs.

          All 3 books are excellent, and have several chapters that introduces you to
          each step in boatbuilding. If you are confortable with what you read, then
          you could buy full scale plans if you want.

          Regards, Máximo.
        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 8, 2008
            You can get the plans from Herb Payson

            http://www.instantboats.com/

            He doesn't do credit cards, you will have to send some kind of money
            order or check, see the section on ordering. Plans are complete plus
            there is Fritz Funk's site on building one that might give you some
            visual help on construction.

            http://www.alaska.net/~fritzf/Boats/Sneakeasy/Sneakeasy.htm

            HJ

            superpum wrote:
            > hi,
            > im Rodrigo Mattiello, im from south of Brasil and i want to buy a
            > sneakeasy plans and i wanna know if can i pay by credit card? and if
            > the plans explain all the details to built it.
            > thanks for now and hope to make some abroad friends,
            > thanks Rodrigo

          • adventures_in_astrophotography
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 9, 2008
              Hi Rodrigo,

              > im Rodrigo Mattiello, im from south of Brasil and i want to buy a
              > sneakeasy plans and i wanna know if can i pay by credit card? and if
              > the plans explain all the details to built it.
              > thanks for now and hope to make some abroad friends,

              Welcome to the group.

              The only way I can think of to get Sneakeasy plans using a credit card
              is to buy Dynamite Payson's latest book. This book contains the plans
              for Sneakeasy (and 14 other plywood boats) in reduced size. The
              accompanying text describes the building process. The WoodenBoatStore
              http://www.woodenboatstore.com/ offers the book and you can use a
              credit card.

              Here's a direct link to the book on WoodenBoat's site:
              http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=300%2D708

              Sneakeasy is an eye-catching boat and I wish you good luck in building
              it.

              Jon Kolb
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 9, 2008
                > > sneakeasy plans ...
                > > do the plans explain all the details to built it?

                The excellent new Payson book explains general boat building
                instructions, instructions not covered in the plans.

                Also if you haven't already, I strongly recommend building several
                small boats, before building a big boat. Learning the tricks while
                building small boats will pay you back double when you build the big
                boat. Also, building a model of a boat is a very helpful way to learn
                with cheap mistakes instead of big expensive mistakes. (And mistakes
                always happen.)
              • mike weekes
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 9, 2008
                  Mike Weekes here - yellowstone_michael@...
                  looking to correspond, learn from, share thoughts with S39 builders.
                  How did it work for you?
                  Can you live aboard - what worked, what didn't
                  things you'd do differently - memories to share.

                  Thank you, all - GREAT SITE!

                  Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
                  > > sneakeasy plans ...
                  > > do the plans explain all the details to built it?

                  The excellent new Payson book explains general boat building
                  instructions, instructions not covered in the plans.

                  Also if you haven't already, I strongly recommend building several
                  small boats, before building a big boat. Learning the tricks while
                  building small boats will pay you back double when you build the big
                  boat. Also, building a model of a boat is a very helpful way to learn
                  with cheap mistakes instead of big expensive mistakes. (And mistakes
                  always happen.)

                • Bob Rusk
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 9, 2008
                    And, of course, you can purchase them full-size from Dynamite Payson
                    -- but he doesn't take credit cards. Looks like $40 for the plans and
                    $10 for "overseas" (export) shipping. Not sure how hard it is to get
                    a check or money order in US funds in Brazil...

                    Bob

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
                    <jon@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Rodrigo,
                    >
                    > > im Rodrigo Mattiello, im from south of Brasil and i want to buy a
                    > > sneakeasy plans and i wanna know if can i pay by credit card? and if
                    > > the plans explain all the details to built it.
                    > > thanks for now and hope to make some abroad friends,
                    >
                    > Welcome to the group.
                    >
                    > The only way I can think of to get Sneakeasy plans using a credit card
                    > is to buy Dynamite Payson's latest book. This book contains the plans
                    > for Sneakeasy (and 14 other plywood boats) in reduced size. The
                    > accompanying text describes the building process. The WoodenBoatStore
                    > http://www.woodenboatstore.com/ offers the book and you can use a
                    > credit card.
                    >
                    > Here's a direct link to the book on WoodenBoat's site:
                    > http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=300%2D708
                    >
                    > Sneakeasy is an eye-catching boat and I wish you good luck in building
                    > it.
                    >
                    > Jon Kolb

                  • Patrick Crockett
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 9, 2008
                      For a boat of this magnitude, I would think that it would be worth
                      paying the $50 plus whatever fee to get a money order in US currency to
                      have the full size plans. Much less chance of making a mistake due to
                      being unable to read the tiny print.

                      Patrick